Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Support for Kneewall

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:22:57 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

keith wrote:
On Jul 12, 8:43 am, "desgnr" wrote:
I built a 6' long x 42" high kneewall between my Diningroom & Kitchen.
But if i push on the end of the wall it moves a little.
I want to put a Column at the end for support,but don't know how to attach
it to the ceiling & not see brackets.
Any suggestion's appreciated.

Is there a joist where your column is to attach? If so, perhaps you
can use pocket screws to attach the column. If not, you're going to
have to add something to attach it to. Sheetrock isn't going to do
it. In any case, I don't think you need "brackets".

--

You need to add a space and return to make the above a proper sig-
separator.

Don't go up, go down. Think like a stairway newel post. Assuming you
have access to the ceiling below, plate across 2-3 joists, and run a
stiffener up through the floor. Old stairways were all wood, and went
together like a chinese block puzzle. In this case, a metal plate lagged
into the joists, with a welded pipe with flanges to bolt off to the
studs of the knee wall. You'll have to open up the wall to attach it,
but when it place it would vanish completely. Any competent welding shop
that makes basement columns to order can whip it up for you.

When I added a knee wall in a previous house I too had trouble getting the
free end stiff enough, until I tied it into the (open) railing around the
side.

Whoever built the place should have framed a socket in the floor, and
run a doubled 2x4 end stud down into it, the full depth of the floor
joists. You could also do it that way, if the idea of ironmongery is not
appealing to you.

He just added the wall, so I doubt anyone thought far enough ahead to add the
"socket".