Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reversing the door on a Kenmore refrigerator.

The refrigerator/freezer is model number 795.76284600. There are holes to
flip the top and bottom door hinges to the opposite side. Unfortunately, the
bottom hinge doesn't have a removable pin to flip to the opposite side. If
it is removable, I can't figure out how to remove it and reinsert it on the
opposite side. Do I need to order a bottom hinge for the opposite side?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Farber wrote:
The refrigerator/freezer is model number 795.76284600. There are holes to
flip the top and bottom door hinges to the opposite side. Unfortunately, the
bottom hinge doesn't have a removable pin to flip to the opposite side. If
it is removable, I can't figure out how to remove it and reinsert it on the
opposite side. Do I need to order a bottom hinge for the opposite side?

Thanks for your reply.

The manual for this model at
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0606607.pdf
seems to be saying that the pin stays on the hinge when moved to the
other side, and the door just sets on it.
BTW, others should know this is a bottom-mount freezer drawer model.
No freezer "door" as such.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shoulda got a Westinghouse:

http://www.keyflux.com/shep/mad4.htm

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 7:15*pm, "David Farber" wrote:
The refrigerator/freezer is model number 795.76284600. There are holes to
flip the top and bottom door hinges to the opposite side. Unfortunately, the
bottom hinge doesn't have a removable pin to flip to the opposite side. If
it is removable, I can't figure out how to remove it and reinsert it on the
opposite side. Do I need to order a bottom hinge for the opposite side?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Go to your friendly Sears store and talk to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
The refrigerator/freezer is model number 795.76284600. There are
holes to flip the top and bottom door hinges to the opposite side.
Unfortunately, the bottom hinge doesn't have a removable pin to flip
to the opposite side. If it is removable, I can't figure out how to
remove it and reinsert it on the opposite side. Do I need to order a
bottom hinge for the opposite side? Thanks for your reply.

The manual for this model at
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0606607.pdf
seems to be saying that the pin stays on the hinge when moved to the
other side, and the door just sets on it.
BTW, others should know this is a bottom-mount freezer drawer model.
No freezer "door" as such.

The mounting holes for the bottom hinge are mirror images (y-axis symmetry)
so that would force the bottom hinge to flip upside down and therefore there
is no pin to secure the bottom part of the door. Page nine of the owner's
manual appears to be incomplete as it seems to be missing reference numbers
and directions as to how to complete the reversal. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 12:12*am, "David Farber" wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

Los Osos, CA- Hide quoted text -

Are you sure the bottom hinge doesn't become the top hinge and the top
hinge becomes the bottom hinge when you use the other side? That's
how most of them work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

Yes the drawing is a bit hazy :-(

It seems to me that there is something wrong with the bottom hinge you
have. Looking at my Sears frig. (2 door top freezer), I suspect the
parts are the same as yours, but the hinge in question has the pin
sticking out from both sides, so whichever way it is installed (left
side or right side of box), there is a pin that sticks UP for the door
to swing on.

On the hinge you have, does it look possible to hammer the pin back so
it sticks out the other way ??

The part drawing at
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.jsp
(enter the model # and look at the "Case Assy" section)
is not much help either, except that it only shows one part # (282B)
for the hinge, not anything like separate left and right versions

BTW to other posters, on these Sears models, the hinges do swap
side-to-side, not top to bottom (yes, there are some that do that)

--Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jul 11, 12:30*pm, Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

==
On my Kenmore fridge each hinge just moves left or right and not up or
down. I don't see what the problem is as they are designed for quick
change. Just pry out the plugs and get going and then plug the unused
holes on the other side.

==
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

Here are some pics.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...tuff/Hinge.jpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ff/Hinge-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

Any chance the hinges swap both side to side AND top to bottom? Diagonally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reed" wrote in message
m...
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

You know, I've seen those hinges with the pins sticking out both directions,
and did not know why until now. You learn something new every day. Dang.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

Well, with the hex head on the pin, the picture sure makes it look
like the pin is meant to be unscrewed from the hinge and then screwed
back in on the other side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 9:27*pm, Tony wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

Any chance the hinges swap both side to side AND top to bottom? *Diagonally.- Hide quoted text -

I suggested that earlier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

I was thinking the same thing too but it was hard to apply force to the pin
and hold the hinge in place. I don't have a vice to lock it in place. Maybe
I should just leave it screwed into the fridge and then try to remove the
pin.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 10:27*am, "David Farber" wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

You remove the pin and you will be buying new ones.

They swap from top to bottom when you use them on the other side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
[...]

The top and bottom hinges look nothing alike. In fact the top hinge mounts
to the top of the unit with three screws entering vertically. The bottom
hinge mounts with four screws entering horizontally. I can't envision any
arrangement where these two could be interchanged. The pins would be not be
pointing up and down anymore.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Reed wrote:

Well, with the hex head on the pin, the picture sure makes it look
like the pin is meant to be unscrewed from the hinge and then screwed
back in on the other side.

Absolutely. That's a removable screw if I ever saw one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
Well, with the hex head on the pin, the picture sure makes it look
like the pin is meant to be unscrewed from the hinge and then
screwed back in on the other side.

Absolutely. That's a removable screw if I ever saw one.

good catch!

It took some doing to loosen that screw but it came out and it was
reversible. Problem solved.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber