Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default reversing swing of prehung door

My shed was built a few months ago with a prehung door that swings into
the shed. I would like to reinstall the door to swing out. I would
replace the hinges to prevent the pin from being removed. I've read
other discussion describing how to do this between house and garage
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...b732b71?hl=en).
It seems that my case is a little different since the door is exposed
to the elements and also it has a large steel threshold. (at least I
think thats what its called; a piece of steel that I can step up onto
when the door is closed and fits in the area between the door and the
face of the building). Will the door perform as well when exposed to
rain if I reverse the installation? It also seems that by reversing the
installation the threshold would become unnecessary. Can anybody give
me any insight into this?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
dpb dpb is offline

Andrew Sasak wrote:
My shed was built a few months ago with a prehung door that swings into
the shed. I would like to reinstall the door to swing out. I would
replace the hinges to prevent the pin from being removed.

...the door is [exterior] and also it has a large steel threshold. ...

... Will the door perform as well when exposed to
rain if I reverse the installation? It also seems that by reversing the
installation the threshold would become unnecessary. Can anybody give
me any insight into this?

For an exterior door, the threshold serves to shed water -- if you
reverse the door, it leaves the interior side on the exterior and the
slope is backwards so water will run in, not out. Whether the door
itself will hold up to the weather depends on what the interior vs
exterior surfaces are made of.

If it were mine and the casing was wood, not metal, I'd take the stop
off and rehang the door on the other side leaving the frame in place so
the threshold is still proper. Being as it's a shed, patching the
former mounting holes shouldn't be a real visual stopper as a fresh
coat of paint would cover many sins...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Andrew Sasak wrote:

My shed was built a few months ago with a prehung door that swings into
the shed. I would like to reinstall the door to swing out. I would
replace the hinges to prevent the pin from being removed. I've read
other discussion describing how to do this between house and garage
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...b732b71?hl=en).
It seems that my case is a little different since the door is exposed
to the elements and also it has a large steel threshold. (at least I
think thats what its called; a piece of steel that I can step up onto
when the door is closed and fits in the area between the door and the
face of the building). Will the door perform as well when exposed to
rain if I reverse the installation? It also seems that by reversing the
installation the threshold would become unnecessary. Can anybody give
me any insight into this?

Although it may not seem like it, the easiest way to do this
is to remove the entire door and jamb and turn it around.
This means pulling off at most, 6 pieces of trim and cutting
some nails or unscrewing some screws. Remove the entire door
as a unit and reverse it.

Now, having said that, here is why you should not do that.
The threshold is made for the door to open in. It is designed
to direct water to the exterior and if you reverse it,
depending upon the type of threshold you have, it may actually
encourage water intrusion. Whenever I have a door that will
open out, I specify that at the door mill and they put on the
type of threshold that is designed for that application. You
can always remove the threshold while you have the unit out
and replace it with the correct one.

You mentioned changing out the hinges for security hinges,
good idea. You will also have to reverse the door latch
hardware, of course.

Reversing the door to open out also adds considerably to the
exposure of the door to rain and water intrusion into the door
itself, unless you have a covered area. Make sure your door
will stand up to this by giving it a good coat of paint on the
exterior and the sides (edges) of the door. Pay particular
attention to the top and bottom.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Andrew Sasak wrote:
My shed was built a few months ago with a prehung door that swings into
the shed. I would like to reinstall the door to swing out. I would
replace the hinges to prevent the pin from being removed. I've read
other discussion describing how to do this between house and garage
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...b732b71?hl=en).
It seems that my case is a little different since the door is exposed
to the elements and also it has a large steel threshold. (at least I
think thats what its called; a piece of steel that I can step up onto
when the door is closed and fits in the area between the door and the
face of the building). Will the door perform as well when exposed to
rain if I reverse the installation? It also seems that by reversing the
installation the threshold would become unnecessary. Can anybody give
me any insight into this?

Otheres discuss the operation's plus and minus.

hinges. You don't really have to replace them although they are
cheap enough so why not. You can turn any set of hinges into a
security type by drilling matching holes and inserting a screw that
mates up when the door closes. They can pull the pins but the door
ain't coming out of the opening.

Harry K