Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Reversing the door on a Kenmore refrigerator.

On Jul 11, 12:30*pm, Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
Reed wrote:
David Farber wrote:
The refrigerator/freezer is model number 795.76284600. There are
holes to flip the top and bottom door hinges to the opposite side.
Unfortunately, the bottom hinge doesn't have a removable pin to flip
to the opposite side. If it is removable, I can't figure out how to
remove it and reinsert it on the opposite side. Do I need to order a
bottom hinge for the opposite side? Thanks for your reply.

The manual for this model at
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0606607.pdf
seems to be saying that the pin stays on the hinge when moved to the
other side, and the door just sets on it.
BTW, others should know this is a bottom-mount freezer drawer model.
No freezer "door" as such.

The mounting holes for the bottom hinge are mirror images (y-axis symmetry)
so that would force the bottom hinge to flip upside down and therefore there
is no pin to secure the bottom part of the door. Page nine of the owner's
manual appears to be incomplete as it seems to be missing reference numbers
and directions as to how to complete the reversal. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the drawing is a bit hazy :-(

It seems to me that there is something wrong with the bottom hinge you
have. Looking at my Sears frig. (2 door top freezer), I suspect the
parts are the same as yours, but the hinge in question has the pin
sticking out from both sides, so whichever way it is installed (left
side or right side of box), there is a pin that sticks UP for the door
to swing on.

On the hinge you have, does it look possible to hammer the pin back so
it sticks out the other way ??

The part drawing athttp://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.jsp
(enter the model # and look at the "Case Assy" section)
is not much help either, except that it only shows one part # (282B)
for the hinge, not anything like separate left and *right versions

BTW to other posters, on these Sears models, the hinges do swap
side-to-side, not top to bottom (yes, there are some that do that)

--Good luck

==
On my Kenmore fridge each hinge just moves left or right and not up or
down. I don't see what the problem is as they are designed for quick
change. Just pry out the plugs and get going and then plug the unused
holes on the other side.

==