Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Pressure Regulator

I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure regulator for
my home. The measured pressure in my home is about 100 PSI and it is
recommended that it be below 80 PSI. The current regulator is buried in
the ground and covered with dirt. I know this because I had it replaced
almost 30 years ago when the old one sprung a leak.

My question is this: Is there any good reason not to bury the
regulator in the ground?? My first thought is that aside from being in
an inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster under ground and
covered with dirt although it is brass. On the other side, it has been
in that location for 30 years and it would be less work to simply
replace it where it current is. Any thoughts???
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure regulator for my
home. The measured pressure in my home is about 100 PSI and it is
recommended that it be below 80 PSI. The current regulator is buried in
the ground and covered with dirt. I know this because I had it replaced
almost 30 years ago when the old one sprung a leak.

My question is this: Is there any good reason not to bury the regulator
in the ground?? My first thought is that aside from being in an
inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster under ground and
covered with dirt although it is brass. On the other side, it has been in
that location for 30 years and it would be less work to simply replace it
where it current is. Any thoughts???

Why not leave it there if you show 100psi and add one in series inside the
house where water line enters? WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:46*pm, Ken wrote:
* * * * I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure regulator for
my home. *The measured pressure in my home is about 100 PSI and it is
recommended that it be below 80 PSI. *The current regulator is buried in
the ground and covered with dirt. *I know this because I had it replaced
almost 30 years ago when the old one sprung a leak.

* * * * My question is this: *Is there any good reason not to bury the
regulator in the ground?? *My first thought is that aside from being in
an inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster under ground and
covered with dirt although it is brass. *On the other side, it has been
in that location for 30 years and it would be less work to simply
replace it where it current is. *Any thoughts???

My pressure is often over 100. I know lots of other people that have
pressure higher than 80. Don't kno wthat I would worry about it
unless you have previous plumbing problems with pipe that has issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:

My pressure is often over 100. I know lots of other people that have
pressure higher than 80. Don't kno wthat I would worry about it
unless you have previous plumbing problems with pipe that has issues.

That's generally a cause for frequent toilet valve failures in
particular as well as unneeded pressure tending to raise amount of water
used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure
regulator for my home. The measured pressure in my home is
about 100 PSI and it is recommended that it be below 80 PSI.
The current regulator is buried in the ground and covered with
dirt. I know this because I had it replaced almost 30 years ago
when the old one sprung a leak.

My question is this: Is there any good reason not to bury the
regulator in the ground?? My first thought is that aside from
being in an inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster
under ground and covered with dirt although it is brass. On the
other side, it has been in that location for 30 years and it
would be less work to simply replace it where it current is.
Any thoughts???

I'd just locate the line inside the house and install a new one
there. In my own case, we had a house with 120psi at the meter,
so I maintained that pressure until inside the house. Before
(upstream) from the pressure regulator, I installed a Tee and used
that to connect up a loop running around the home's perimeter for
the sill hydrants. That gave me great pressure for the garden
hose when washing a car, for instance, while I had the much tamer
pressure to toilets and faucets.

By the way, when you install the new regulator or adjust pressure,
don't forget to adjust the float level in your toilet if it's the
old ball-on-a-rod type.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:46*pm, Ken wrote:
* * * * I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure regulator for
my home. *The measured pressure in my home is about 100 PSI and it is
recommended that it be below 80 PSI. *The current regulator is buried in
the ground and covered with dirt. *I know this because I had it replaced
almost 30 years ago when the old one sprung a leak.

* * * * My question is this: *Is there any good reason not to bury the
regulator in the ground?? *My first thought is that aside from being in
an inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster under ground and
covered with dirt although it is brass. *On the other side, it has been
in that location for 30 years and it would be less work to simply
replace it where it current is. *Any thoughts???

If you take the advice of others and install a PRV in series with the
existing one, consider it's placement carefully.

Both of my hose spigots are before the PRV so I have street pressure
to my hoses. Great for washing the car, watering the gardens and
blasting my cat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nonny wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

Why would the float level in the toilet be a factor? Wouldn't it still
turn off at the same point??
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message

Why would the float level in the toilet be a factor? Wouldn't
it still turn off at the same point??

The traditional float on a rod-type of valves rely on the side of
the rod opposite the fulcrum to depress a ball or washer against
the incoming water to stop the flow. If there is more water
pressure, more counterpressure is needed, resulting in more float
needing to be submerged. By increasing water pressure, you will
risk a higher water level in the tank, frequently resulting in
draining continually down the refill tube into the bowl.

The better ones, nowadays, don't rely on counterpressure directly
to stop the flow. Of the ones I've used, the Korky brand is my
preference. In fact, after replacing an older Fluidmaster here in
the house with the Korky one, I swapped them all out for Korky,
preferring the much faster fill rate.
http://www.korky.com/fillvalves.html

Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure regulator for
my home. The measured pressure in my home is about 100 PSI and it is
recommended that it be below 80 PSI. The current regulator is buried in
the ground and covered with dirt. I know this because I had it replaced
almost 30 years ago when the old one sprung a leak.

My question is this: Is there any good reason not to bury the regulator
in the ground?? My first thought is that aside from being in an
inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster under ground and
covered with dirt although it is brass. On the other side, it has been
in that location for 30 years and it would be less work to simply
replace it where it current is. Any thoughts???

Hmmm,
That is weird. Our regulator is in the basement near the meter. I keep
the running pressure at 60 psi.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Ken wrote:
I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure regulator for
my home. The measured pressure in my home is about 100 PSI and it is
recommended that it be below 80 PSI. The current regulator is buried in
the ground and covered with dirt. I know this because I had it replaced
almost 30 years ago when the old one sprung a leak.

My question is this: Is there any good reason not to bury the regulator
in the ground?? My first thought is that aside from being in an
inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster under ground and
covered with dirt although it is brass. On the other side, it has been
in that location for 30 years and it would be less work to simply
replace it where it current is. Any thoughts???

Hmmm,
That is weird. Our regulator is in the basement near the meter. I keep
the running pressure at 60 psi.

I was considering moving the regulator from its current location
(buried underground) to the crawl space to which the output of the
regulator runs. I guess it would be safer to have the regulator outside
of the house (although the crawl space would seem unlikely to incur
damage if it started to leak) but it sure would be easier to replace in
the future.

I was just wondering if others had their regulator elsewhere and if
there were any drawbacks to having it elsewhere. I have a feeling that
living in the south allows putting the regulator in the ground due to
the shallow frost line. Doing so in the north would probably not work
unless you dug really deep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 6:28*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message

[...]

If you adjust it for your water pressure then it doesn't matter.
Besides you are talking about less than in inch of height in the tank
one way or another.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 6:28 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, that was my original point. If you change the water
pressure, the older style tank valves need to be adjusted.

Besides you are talking about less than in inch of height in the
tank
one way or another.

Right. Using your "one inch" difference, an inch lower might mean
an incomplete flush and an inch higher could be a continuous flow
down the refill tube. It's better to adjust the tank's water
height when you modify the water pressure.

Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Ken wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Indeed. Our frost line is at least 6 feet deep. Houses here have full
basement with drain.