Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How much is my water pressure regulator set for?

I finally got my arm behind things and I do have a water pressure
regulator. Is there a typical pressure this is set for?

I would try to call someone in county government, or search their
webpages, but my first try failed, and I expect success will take
forever.

I live in a northwest suburb of Baltimore, and I seem to have plenty
of pressure, or the standard amount of pressure. We have 3 big
reservoirs that supply water, one of them 5 miles up the road from me.
The toilet closest to the water entry point does a complete cycle in
32 seconds, from pushing the flush level to the tank being refilled.
(I figure about 6 seconds of that before the flapper shuts, so 26
seconds to fill the tank.) Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 11:51 pm, mm wrote:
I finally got my arm behind things and I do have a water pressure
regulator. Is there a typical pressure this is set for?

I would try to call someone in county government, or search their
webpages, but my first try failed, and I expect success will take
forever.

I live in a northwest suburb of Baltimore, and I seem to have plenty
of pressure, or the standard amount of pressure. We have 3 big
reservoirs that supply water, one of them 5 miles up the road from me.
The toilet closest to the water entry point does a complete cycle in
32 seconds, from pushing the flush level to the tank being refilled.
(I figure about 6 seconds of that before the flapper shuts, so 26
seconds to fill the tank.) Thanks.

is the only thing that you are worried about the time that it takes to
flush a toilet?

typically, if you have an adjustable regulator, it can be set to
whatever you want. i would not set it to more than 40 to 60lbs. too
much pressure, though, and you will blow off fixtures and crack pipes.

toilet speed fills can vary. i would not base my judgment of a lack of
pressure on the cycle speed of a toilet. try using a pressure gauge.
i'm guessing that you're having problems with pressure all over your
house? you weren't real clear about the exact problem, in your post.
maybe it's because... how did you put it? "You look like a blooming,
self-centered adolescent idiot..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I finally got my arm behind things and I do have a water pressure
regulator. Is there a typical pressure this is set for?

About 50 psi

I live in a northwest suburb of Baltimore, and I seem to have plenty
of pressure, or the standard amount of pressure. We have 3 big
reservoirs that supply water, one of them 5 miles up the road from me.
The toilet closest to the water entry point does a complete cycle in
32 seconds, from pushing the flush level to the tank being refilled.
(I figure about 6 seconds of that before the flapper shuts, so 26
seconds to fill the tank.) Thanks.

Some toilets us 5 gallons, some us 3, some use 1.2. 26 seconds seems
adequate no matter how much yours uses. Other factors come into play also.
Pipe size, restrictions, filters, scale buildup. Flow and pressure are
different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a pressure gauge at the HD for 10 bucks, attach it to any faucet and you
will know, precisely, what your regulator is set for. Why fiddle around with
toilets?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net