Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny[_2_] Nonny[_2_] is offline

Default Water Pressure Regulator

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 6:28 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message

Why would the float level in the toilet be a factor?
Wouldn't
it still turn off at the same point??

The traditional float on a rod-type of valves rely on the side
of
the rod opposite the fulcrum to depress a ball or washer
against
the incoming water to stop the flow. If there is more water
pressure, more counterpressure is needed, resulting in more
float
needing to be submerged. By increasing water pressure, you
will
risk a higher water level in the tank, frequently resulting in
draining continually down the refill tube into the bowl.

The better ones, nowadays, don't rely on counterpressure
directly
to stop the flow. Of the ones I've used, the Korky brand is my
preference. In fact, after replacing an older Fluidmaster here
in
the house with the Korky one, I swapped them all out for Korky,
preferring the much faster fill
rate.http://www.korky.com/fillvalves.html

Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

If you adjust it for your water pressure then it doesn't matter.

Yes, that was my original point. If you change the water
pressure, the older style tank valves need to be adjusted.

Besides you are talking about less than in inch of height in the
tank
one way or another.

Right. Using your "one inch" difference, an inch lower might mean
an incomplete flush and an inch higher could be a continuous flow
down the refill tube. It's better to adjust the tank's water
height when you modify the water pressure.

Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth