Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny[_2_] Nonny[_2_] is offline

Default Water Pressure Regulator

"Ken" wrote in message

Why would the float level in the toilet be a factor? Wouldn't
it still turn off at the same point??

The traditional float on a rod-type of valves rely on the side of
the rod opposite the fulcrum to depress a ball or washer against
the incoming water to stop the flow. If there is more water
pressure, more counterpressure is needed, resulting in more float
needing to be submerged. By increasing water pressure, you will
risk a higher water level in the tank, frequently resulting in
draining continually down the refill tube into the bowl.

The better ones, nowadays, don't rely on counterpressure directly
to stop the flow. Of the ones I've used, the Korky brand is my
preference. In fact, after replacing an older Fluidmaster here in
the house with the Korky one, I swapped them all out for Korky,
preferring the much faster fill rate.
http://www.korky.com/fillvalves.html

Nonny
--