Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny[_2_] Nonny[_2_] is offline

Default Water Pressure Regulator

"Ken" wrote in message
I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure
regulator for my home. The measured pressure in my home is
about 100 PSI and it is recommended that it be below 80 PSI.
The current regulator is buried in the ground and covered with
dirt. I know this because I had it replaced almost 30 years ago
when the old one sprung a leak.

My question is this: Is there any good reason not to bury the
regulator in the ground?? My first thought is that aside from
being in an inaccessible location, it might deteriorate faster
under ground and covered with dirt although it is brass. On the
other side, it has been in that location for 30 years and it
would be less work to simply replace it where it current is.
Any thoughts???

I'd just locate the line inside the house and install a new one
there. In my own case, we had a house with 120psi at the meter,
so I maintained that pressure until inside the house. Before
(upstream) from the pressure regulator, I installed a Tee and used
that to connect up a loop running around the home's perimeter for
the sill hydrants. That gave me great pressure for the garden
hose when washing a car, for instance, while I had the much tamer
pressure to toilets and faucets.

By the way, when you install the new regulator or adjust pressure,
don't forget to adjust the float level in your toilet if it's the
old ball-on-a-rod type.

Nonny

--
On most days,