Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default IR home leak imaging

I knew someone who got some used fancy oilfield devices and imaged
houses to find leaks using not only infrared but some pretty fancy
math to compare how the images changed as the temperature changed
during the day to night cycle. I gotta wonder if this has advanced
much in the decade since.

I have some siding, poynting and roof leaks, whose repair would be a
lot less costly if I could get a cheap imaging analysis.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 4, 10:32*pm, wrote:
I knew someone who got some used fancy oilfield devices and imaged
houses to find leaks using not only infrared but some pretty fancy
math to compare how the images changed as the temperature changed
during the day to night cycle. I gotta wonder if this has advanced
much in the decade since.

I have some siding, poynting and roof leaks, whose repair would be a
lot less costly if I could get a cheap imaging analysis.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm...k.com/vasjpan2
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

I don't see how you expect IR devices to find roof leaks on your
house. IR devices are commonly used to find areas of poor thermal
insulation.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. The idea is to throw water and see where it goes.
Insulation damage is insulation dmamage, water or wind.

I called the expert, who I respect a lot, and he basically offered to
look at it at his hourly rate. His expertise is probably worth more
than the equipment, but I have to compare that cost to the cost of
just adding a new layer of siding (with energy stimulus). And,worse
of all, I have a co-owner who is reluctant to do anything.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 5, 12:13*pm, wrote:
Thanks. The idea is to throw water and see where it goes.
Insulation damage is insulation dmamage, water or wind.

I called the expert, who I respect a lot, and he basically offered to
look at it at his hourly rate. His expertise is probably worth more
than the equipment, but I have to compare that cost to the cost of
just adding a new layer of siding (with energy stimulus). *And,worse
of all, I have a co-owner who is reluctant to do anything.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm...k.com/vasjpan2
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

How is water going to tell you where the leaks are. It will just
disappear into the house, not show up on IR imaging?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.chem

What about a dye that is colorful when wet and white when dry, so it
could detect leaks in wallks and even grout because the leak stays wet
longer than the rest?

That cool IR cam Rich posted really got my engineering interest alerted!

PS, water keeps a leak damp and has a different temperature signature
than the rest of the wall. But that is why a day and night IR picture
helps track the different temperature changes.

In by Rich Webb
on Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:18:56 -0400 we
perused:

*+-On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:32:46 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

*+-
*+-I knew someone who got some used fancy oilfield devices and imaged
*+-houses to find leaks using not only infrared but some pretty fancy
*+-math to compare how the images changed as the temperature changed
*+-during the day to night cycle. I gotta wonder if this has advanced
*+-much in the decade since.

*+-Well, the cost of the imagers has come down. The Extech/FLIR line has
*+-one below $2K now. I keep trying to come up with a good enough excuse to
*+-get one ...

*+-http://www.tequipment.net/ExtechI5.html

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.chem

On Jul 5, 1:42*pm, wrote:
What about a dye that is colorful when wet and white
when dry, so it could detect leaks in wallks and even
grout because the leak stays wet longer than the rest?

Rit dye.

David A. Smith
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article , HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
I knew someone who got some used fancy oilfield devices and imaged
houses to find leaks using not only infrared but some pretty fancy
math to compare how the images changed as the temperature changed
during the day to night cycle. I gotta wonder if this has advanced
much in the decade since.

I have some siding, poynting and roof leaks, whose repair would be a
lot less costly if I could get a cheap imaging analysis.

If you want to experiment with it yourself, consider an appropriate infared
filter for your camera.

Photographic film and silicon image sensors do not respond to low
temperature thermal infrared. Usually over 99.98% of that is of
wavelengths longer than 3,000 namometers. Film that responds much past
1,000 nanometers is about as common as hairy eggs. Silicon image sensors
only go out to about 1100 nm, faintly to maybe 1300 nm.
--
- Don Klipstein )