Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.chem
[email protected] vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com is offline

Default IR home leak imaging

What about a dye that is colorful when wet and white when dry, so it
could detect leaks in wallks and even grout because the leak stays wet
longer than the rest?

That cool IR cam Rich posted really got my engineering interest alerted!

PS, water keeps a leak damp and has a different temperature signature
than the rest of the wall. But that is why a day and night IR picture
helps track the different temperature changes.

In by Rich Webb
on Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:18:56 -0400 we
perused:

*+-On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:32:46 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

*+-
*+-I knew someone who got some used fancy oilfield devices and imaged
*+-houses to find leaks using not only infrared but some pretty fancy
*+-math to compare how the images changed as the temperature changed
*+-during the day to night cycle. I gotta wonder if this has advanced
*+-much in the decade since.

*+-Well, the cost of the imagers has come down. The Extech/FLIR line has
*+-one below $2K now. I keep trying to come up with a good enough excuse to
*+-get one ...

*+-http://www.tequipment.net/ExtechI5.html

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2