Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default IR home leak imaging

In article , HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
I knew someone who got some used fancy oilfield devices and imaged
houses to find leaks using not only infrared but some pretty fancy
math to compare how the images changed as the temperature changed
during the day to night cycle. I gotta wonder if this has advanced
much in the decade since.

I have some siding, poynting and roof leaks, whose repair would be a
lot less costly if I could get a cheap imaging analysis.

If you want to experiment with it yourself, consider an appropriate infared
filter for your camera.

Photographic film and silicon image sensors do not respond to low
temperature thermal infrared. Usually over 99.98% of that is of
wavelengths longer than 3,000 namometers. Film that responds much past
1,000 nanometers is about as common as hairy eggs. Silicon image sensors
only go out to about 1100 nm, faintly to maybe 1300 nm.
--
- Don Klipstein )