Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sand in Well Water

I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for almost two
weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife watered the
plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the water in
the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? The pressure
was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? I stopped
watering the lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 12:11*pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for almost two
weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife watered the
plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the water in
the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? *The pressure
was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? *I stopped
watering the lawn.

your well is likely collapsing, the sand will ruin your pump, sand is
abrasive.

call a well service company ASAP
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote the following:
I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for
almost two weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife
watered the plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the
water in the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? The
pressure was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? I
stopped watering the lawn.

Any well drilling or excavation going on in your neighborhood?
Other than your well going dry, that is the next best bet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for almost two
weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife watered the
plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the water in
the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? *The pressure
was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? *I stopped
watering the lawn.

You did a good thing by stopping the watering of your lawn. One cure
that may work for you is to raise your pump up a little more from the
bottom of the well (maybe 5-10ft, depending on static level). When you
pull the pump, dump a few shovels of gravel in it to help stop the
pump from sucking the sand off the bottom.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 5:11*pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for almost two
weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife watered the
plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the water in
the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? *The pressure
was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? *I stopped
watering the lawn.

You are pumping water from your well at an unsustainble rate. You
need to raise the pump slightly and give the well time to recover
between pumping sessions. How long is for you to determine.
The only way you would beat this problem is by deepening you well.
Expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I called the well company. They indicated to "give the system a rest",
meaning we can use water for household necessities, and this should clear up
within a couple of days. I also won't water my lawn anymore this summer,
obviously.

It already looks better, hardly a noticeable trace now.

A couple of years ago the pump was raised 15 more feet, so for now I'm
inclined to leave things alone, let this issue settle, and not water the
lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

lawn.- Hide quoted text -

Got any other sources of water for irrigation? That's the solution
long term.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My only thought is a Native American rain dance. I don't want to invest in
an irrigation system. Not worth it to me.

I also have a pool and hot tub. 3 times per year I drain and refill the hot
tub, and coincidentally I drained the tub yesterday morning as I was
watering the lawn, with the intent to refill the tub after watering the
lawn. I have decided to wait a couple of days, then will gradually refill
the hot tub over several days, as I will now do from now on. A couple of
times per season I also need to add an inch of water to the pool, and
likewise will plan to refill gradually over several days.

As for the lawn, its already dormant and yellow, so watering yesterday
probably won't do much good.

Lesson learned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2010 9:20 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 28, 9:02 am, "Dimitrios
wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 27, 5:11 pm, "Dimitrios

[...]

Or another obvious solution is to plant naturally occurring sustainable
landscaping that doesn't need watering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

I also have a pool and hot tub. 3 times per year I drain and refill
the hot tub, and coincidentally I drained the tub yesterday morning
as I was watering the lawn, with the intent to refill the tub after
watering the lawn. I have decided to wait a couple of days, then
will gradually refill the hot tub over several days, as I will now do
from now on. A couple of times per season I also need to add an inch
of water to the pool, and likewise will plan to refill gradually over
several days.
As for the lawn, its already dormant and yellow, so watering yesterday
probably won't do much good.

Lesson learned.

When I drain my tub, I pump it onto the lawn. Connecting a hose to the output of
the pump and shutting off the return to the tub does the job. The output goes to
standard sprinkler(s).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for
almost two weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife
watered the plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the
water in the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? The
pressure was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? I
stopped watering the lawn.

My father had a large storage tank added to his system. The well pump keeps it
full. Another pump supplies the house from it. I assume the well pump controller
cycler the pump to prevent overpumping the well as it refills the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 5:21*pm, Chief Two Eagles wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:59:28 -0700, Bob F wrote:
[...]

So the chemicals in the tub water don't harm the lawn?- Hide quoted text -

They might. I believe harmless "bio-degradeable" chemicals are
available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chief Two Eagles wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:59:28 -0700, Bob F wrote:

-snip-

When I drain my tub, I pump it onto the lawn. Connecting a hose to the
output of the pump and shutting off the return to the tub does the job.
The output goes to standard sprinkler(s).

So the chemicals in the tub water don't harm the lawn?

I suppose it depends on what chemicals you put in your tub.
Personally, I like mine as free of chemicals a possible without
becoming a Petri dish.

In 250gallons I use 20 mule team borax & muriatic acid to keep the ph
in balance-- [never more than 1/4 cup of either at a time. once
balanced I go weeks without needing to add any] And I use about
1/3cup household bleach each day to maintain about 5ppm.

I don't live in a dry area, and I don't care for grass, so I've never
used my drain water to water the lawn-- but if I so chose, I'm sure
the lawn would be in more danger from over watering than suffering
from the chemicals.
[maybe not-- if my math is right, 250 gallons spread over 400 square
feet would be about 1" deep.. . . can that be right?]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote
Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? I stopped
watering the lawn.

. I also won't water my lawn anymore this summer, obviously.

Smart move. Consider a whole house filter for sediment. That stuff can
ruin fixtures, gaskets, seals, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for almost two
weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife watered the
plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the water in
the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? *The pressure
was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? *I stopped
watering the lawn.

It sounds like you need your well flow tested... It might not be able
produce enough water for you to be wasting fresh from the well water
on your lawn anymore...

You could consider using a grey-water system to reuse water from
hand washing sinks and showers in your house for your lawn after
you have used it once inside the house... Such a system would need
design specs for it made by someone with experience in such things...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:33:57 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[maybe not-- if my math is right, 250 gallons spread over 400 square
feet would be about 1" deep.. . . can that be right?]

The coverage part of your math is OK, but I suspect you miscalculated the
area of your lawn. 400 sq ft is a decent sized living room, less than 1/100
of an acre.

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chief Two Eagles wrote:
[...]

Hasn't hurt it yet. If I'm going to empty it, I don't add chlorine right before
I do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Chief Two Eagles wrote:

Well that's cool. I guess the chlorine dissipates after awhile. I don't
have a tub but my sister does and she keeps it so highly chlorinated that
it makes your eyes burn. Hence the question.

More likely, she's underchlorinating, i.e. failing to shock treat:

http://www.expertpool.biz/chlorine.htm