Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Sand in Well Water

On 6/28/2010 9:20 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 28, 9:02 am, "Dimitrios
wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 27, 5:11 pm, "Dimitrios
wrote:

I'm in Maryland where it's been hotter than 90 deg every day for almost
two
weeks.

I've been watering the lawn for 2-3 hours this morning, my wife watered
the
plants, two showers were taken and a load of laundry.

I'm noticing some sand in one toilet bowl, and when I turn on the water in
the adjacent sink, there is some sand.

I presume this means the well water level has gotten too low? The pressure
was fine.

Is there anything I should or should not do in the near term? I stopped
watering the lawn.

You are pumping water from your well at an unsustainble rate. You
need to raise the pump slightly and give the well time to recover
between pumping sessions. How long is for you to determine.
The only way you would beat this problem is by deepening you well.
Expensive.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I called the well company. They indicated to "give the system a rest",
meaning we can use water for household necessities, and this should clear up
within a couple of days. I also won't water my lawn anymore this summer,
obviously.

It already looks better, hardly a noticeable trace now.

A couple of years ago the pump was raised 15 more feet, so for now I'm
inclined to leave things alone, let this issue settle, and not water the
lawn.- Hide quoted text -

Got any other sources of water for irrigation? That's the solution
long term.

Or another obvious solution is to plant naturally occurring sustainable
landscaping that doesn't need watering.