Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs gas starvation

I'm having problems with my generator powered by a 8 horsepower Briggs.* I
I needed it the other night and it ran okay for 10 minutes and suddenly
stopped. From then on it would only run briefly and wheezing only with the
choke in, as though needed to help suck fuel.

Later when I had the chance, I dismantled the carb and the bowl was empty.
So I cleaned and reassembled it and did some testing today. I wanted to
check the fuel flow from the tank to make sure the screen isn't plugged
there so I disconnected the line and let it run into a gas can. It stopped
flowing after a bit. When I undid the gas cap flow resumed.

Here's the gas cap:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...isc/gascap.jpg

Where is the vent on it? I presume venting is part of the cap (hence the
metal splash deflecting shield) and not elsewhere on the tank. Obviously
something is gummed up.

I may have other issues too but this is a start.

*190412 3156-01 (new in 1992)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 8:05*pm, Steve Kraus
wrote:
[...]

Is there any possibility that the fuel line collapsed and is
restricting the flow? Does the fuel line look cracked and worn out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there any possibility that the fuel line collapsed and is
restricting the flow? Does the fuel line look cracked and worn out?

No, it flowed freely when the cap was off and trickled to a stop when the
cap was replaced. So I presume there was no way for air to get in to allow
gas to come out. As I said I may have other issues elsewhere with that
engine but right now I'm just trying to figure out this situation which is
only involving the tank and hose. Obviously both the strainer screen and
the shutoff valve under the tank are fine if it was flowing freely with the
cap off.

So I need to know where there is some sort of vent pinhole that has gotten
clogged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 6:46*am, Steve Kraus
wrote:
Is there any possibility that the fuel line collapsed and is
restricting the flow? Does the fuel line look cracked and worn out?

No, it flowed freely when the cap was off and trickled to a stop when the
cap was replaced. *So I presume there was no way for air to get in to allow
gas to come out. *As I said I may have other issues elsewhere with that
engine but right now I'm just trying to figure out this situation which is
only involving the tank and hose. *Obviously both the strainer screen and
the shutoff valve under the tank are fine if it was flowing freely with the
cap off. *

So I need to know where there is some sort of vent pinhole that has gotten
clogged.

Remove/loosen fuel cap. Test run. If OK tank vent is blocked.
Normally in fuel cap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Jun 21, 6:46 am, Steve Kraus
wrote:
Is there any possibility that the fuel line collapsed and is
restricting the flow? Does the fuel line look cracked and worn out?

No, it flowed freely when the cap was off and trickled to a stop when the
cap was replaced. So I presume there was no way for air to get in to allow
gas to come out. As I said I may have other issues elsewhere with that
engine but right now I'm just trying to figure out this situation which is
only involving the tank and hose. Obviously both the strainer screen and
the shutoff valve under the tank are fine if it was flowing freely with the
cap off.

So I need to know where there is some sort of vent pinhole that has gotten
clogged.

Remove/loosen fuel cap. Test run. If OK tank vent is blocked.
Normally in fuel cap.

Drill a small hole in the cap. The gas caps used to have holes in them
for vents but vapor emissions regulations caused changes to the gas caps
and this is now what happens. You could buy a new gas cap if you are
concerned about the emissions but a tiny hole in the cap will fix it,...
permanently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus wrote:
[...]

Check the cap and see if that metal flapper is stuck. If you can't see
how it vents, drill a hole in it about 1/32". You don't drive it around
so it won't leak.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd be better off to replace the cap, and be done with it.

In the future as a work around, you can leave the cap slightly loose.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:28:49 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Here's the gas cap:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...isc/gascap.jpg

Where is the vent on it? I presume venting is part of the cap (hence the
metal splash deflecting shield) and not elsewhere on the tank. Obviously
something is gummed up.

I may have other issues too but this is a start.

*190412 3156-01 (new in 1992)

Check the cap and see if that metal flapper is stuck. If you can't see
how it vents, drill a hole in it about 1/32". You don't drive it around
so it won't leak.

I have the same cap as the OP on a power washer. I looked for a vent
hole but it is not to be found.

I found this view of a similar cap, but noted it does have a vent hole
in the middle.

http://www.ticona.com/celstranritefl...gascap2003.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same cap as the OP on a power washer. I looked for a vent
hole but it is not to be found.

The best guess I can make is that it is allowed to vent along the threads.
The rubbery gasket on mine has a couple of notches so maybe those are to
keep it from being a total seal. And of course the metal plate is to
deflect away as much splashing as possible. Maybe under some circumstances
residue from evaporated gasoline can block this. On mine the rubber was
pretty flat to the interior of the plastic cap. Maybe it needs to be
looser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:26:43 -0500, Steve Kraus
wrote:

I have the same cap as the OP on a power washer. I looked for a vent
hole but it is not to be found.

The best guess I can make is that it is allowed to vent along the threads.
The rubbery gasket on mine has a couple of notches so maybe those are to
keep it from being a total seal. And of course the metal plate is to
deflect away as much splashing as possible. Maybe under some circumstances
residue from evaporated gasoline can block this. On mine the rubber was
pretty flat to the interior of the plastic cap. Maybe it needs to be
looser.

Sure. Just back the cap off 1/8 turn after tight. That would break the
vacuum and allow fuel to flow.

5 HP Briggs Frank[_5_] Home Repair 15 October 25th 08 08:59 PM
6.5 hp Briggs & Stratton won't run No Name Home Repair 4 June 18th 08 03:37 AM
Briggs&Stratton 16 HP [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 24th 07 06:56 PM
Briggs/Stratton 3.5 hp Puddin' Man Home Repair 9 October 24th 06 01:15 PM
Briggs engine help Steve Kraus Home Repair 15 October 25th 05 02:37 AM