Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs gas starvation

I'm having problems with my generator powered by a 8 horsepower Briggs.* I
I needed it the other night and it ran okay for 10 minutes and suddenly
stopped. From then on it would only run briefly and wheezing only with the
choke in, as though needed to help suck fuel.

Later when I had the chance, I dismantled the carb and the bowl was empty.
So I cleaned and reassembled it and did some testing today. I wanted to
check the fuel flow from the tank to make sure the screen isn't plugged
there so I disconnected the line and let it run into a gas can. It stopped
flowing after a bit. When I undid the gas cap flow resumed.

Here's the gas cap:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...isc/gascap.jpg

Where is the vent on it? I presume venting is part of the cap (hence the
metal splash deflecting shield) and not elsewhere on the tank. Obviously
something is gummed up.

I may have other issues too but this is a start.

*190412 3156-01 (new in 1992)

5 HP Briggs Frank[_5_] Home Repair 15 October 25th 08 08:59 PM
6.5 hp Briggs & Stratton won't run No Name Home Repair 4 June 18th 08 03:37 AM
Briggs&Stratton 16 HP [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 24th 07 06:56 PM
Briggs/Stratton 3.5 hp Puddin' Man Home Repair 9 October 24th 06 01:15 PM
Briggs engine help Steve Kraus Home Repair 15 October 25th 05 02:37 AM