Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 5 HP Briggs

I have a old 5hp model 130000 B/S engine on my snowblower. Can not start the
engine unless I prime it with gas through the spark plug hole.
Took off carb and cleaned it also replaced all gaskets. Still won't start.I
was wondering how this carb gets vacuum and if the breather tube could leak
enough to cause the problem If so why does the engine run after priming?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
I have a old 5hp model 130000 B/S engine on my snowblower. Can not start
the engine unless I prime it with gas through the spark plug hole.
Took off carb and cleaned it also replaced all gaskets. Still won't
start.I was wondering how this carb gets vacuum and if the breather tube
could leak enough to cause the problem If so why does the engine run after
priming?
Frank
It sounds like you still have a fuel problem. If it's been sitting a long
time it could have clogged jets or valves. I would get a carb rebuilding
kit for it and replace all the critical parts

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try replacing the gasket between the carb and the engine. Or gook the gasket
with Permatex #2 non hardening. Sometimes air leaks around the gasket,
instead of sucking gas air mix.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
I have a old 5hp model 130000 B/S engine on my snowblower. Can not start the
engine unless I prime it with gas through the spark plug hole.
Took off carb and cleaned it also replaced all gaskets. Still won't start.I
was wondering how this carb gets vacuum and if the breather tube could leak
enough to cause the problem If so why does the engine run after priming?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Installed new gasket with permatex #2 between carb and Engine.Would leak in
the breather tube gasket at carb cause problem? Also noticed this carb has
no check valves in fuel tank pickup tubes.
Thanks Stormin M
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Y'welcome. I'm not sure about the other part.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
Installed new gasket with permatex #2 between carb and Engine.Would leak in
the breather tube gasket at carb cause problem? Also noticed this carb has
no check valves in fuel tank pickup tubes.
Thanks Stormin M
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Try replacing the gasket between the carb and the engine. Or gook the
gasket with Permatex #2 non hardening. Sometimes air leaks around the
gasket, instead of sucking gas air mix.

Did you replace the diaphram? They dry out and loose their elasticity so
the carb won't pump fuel. Critical things to check: Diaphram; carb/gas tank
pickup tube for restrictions (clean the screens); carb passages (some are
on the bottom of the carb and can be covered over with dried junk); jets;
gaskets; choke operation; clean the gas tank; and, did I mention make sure
all passages are CLEAN.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Tom New gaskets and diaphragm installed. Feed tubes are clean. Only
thing I am not sure of is breather tube. Could a leak here cause problem?
(After thought package with diaphragm in it contained 2 diaphragms. Could
they have over filled or should I have used both diaphragm one over the
other?)
Thanks Tom And Storman N.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Claud,
Wouldn't bug you guys if I didn't know enough to choke the engine for a
cold start. I think my problem with this engine is beyond simple starting
procedure.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 24, 2:22*pm, "Frank" wrote:
Thanks Claud,
* *Wouldn't bug you guys if I didn't know enough to choke the engine for a
cold start. I think my problem with this engine is beyond simple starting
procedure.
*Frank

try a leakdown test if you have the ability; leaky rings can cause
hard starting, there won't be enough vacuum to fire it off at starting
speed. Unfortunately the only fix in that case is a full teardown and
rebuild. Does this engine have lots of hours on it?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks NBN
Ya the unit is about 30yrs old.
Runs good if I prime it thru plug hole. Any way of priming this engine
by adding pressure to fuel tank by way of the cap?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

try a leakdown test if you have the ability; leaky rings can cause
hard starting, there won't be enough vacuum to fire it off at
starting
speed. Unfortunately the only fix in that case is a full teardown
and
rebuild. Does this engine have lots of hours on it?

nate
__________________________________________________ __
Nate, that sounds like a likely bet. But there is a possible fix
provided it is vertical cylinder rather than horizontal.

Low compression can often be fixed by removing the spark plug,
position the piston an maximum low, and pouring some paint thinner
in through the plug hole. I recently did this on an old engine that
had virtually no compression. After 24 hours soaking in paint
thinner, the compression was 70+. Can't fix them all this way, but
it is worth a try. I always change oil after doing this but am not
sure that is necessary.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not to sure of paint thinner in cylinder as Tom suggested what does it do?
Has anyone tried it? Thanks Tom (I guess)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Not to sure of paint thinner in cylinder as Tom suggested what does it do?
Has anyone tried it? Thanks Tom (I guess)

If you have a stuck ring that'll free it up.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Thanks NBN
Ya the unit is about 30yrs old.
Runs good if I prime it thru plug hole. Any way of priming this engine
by adding pressure to fuel tank by way of the cap?
Frank

Hmmm,
I wonder why choke does not work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

Hi,
That sounds like paint thinner being solvent, you were freeing up seized
rings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in
:

Thanks Tom New gaskets and diaphragm installed. Feed tubes are clean.
Only thing I am not sure of is breather tube. Could a leak here cause
problem? (After thought package with diaphragm in it contained 2
diaphragms. Could they have over filled or should I have used both
diaphragm one over the other?)
Thanks Tom And Storman N.
Frank

Breather tube...unless it's stopped up,I doubt it. As far as two diaphrams,
one should fit. Carb kits will fit several different models. Another thing
that came to mind; you mentioned it in another thread is the gas cap. If
the tank isn't vented properly, gas won't flow. I had to clean the cap out
as well; bugs thought it was a good place to nest. Simple test, blow
through the cap and see if air will flow. These carbs are pretty simple.
Think through the basics.