Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default 5 HP Briggs

Bob wrote:
try a leakdown test if you have the ability; leaky rings can cause
hard starting, there won't be enough vacuum to fire it off at
starting
speed. Unfortunately the only fix in that case is a full teardown
and
rebuild. Does this engine have lots of hours on it?

nate
__________________________________________________ __
Nate, that sounds like a likely bet. But there is a possible fix
provided it is vertical cylinder rather than horizontal.

Low compression can often be fixed by removing the spark plug,
position the piston an maximum low, and pouring some paint thinner
in through the plug hole. I recently did this on an old engine that
had virtually no compression. After 24 hours soaking in paint
thinner, the compression was 70+. Can't fix them all this way, but
it is worth a try. I always change oil after doing this but am not
sure that is necessary.

Bob-tx

Hi,
That sounds like paint thinner being solvent, you were freeing up seized
rings.