Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default 6.5 hp Briggs & Stratton won't run

Just got under 10 hours on my plate vibrator/compactor and the Briggs &
Stratton 6.5 hp I/C Industrial OHV motor won't run. Model 122432, Type 0113,
Code E8. Put it in storage two months ago, shut off the fuel line and ran it
until dry. Got it out of storage, put fresh gas in, open the fuel line,
choke it, ran it for about 30 seconds, unchoke it and give it more gas and
than it dies. Seems like it lacks power. Clean the filter, check the plug
( was running rich) restart it again and dies again when giving it a little
throttle every time. Don't think carburetor is adjustable. Too soon for a
four cycle engine to die, my Honda engine lasted well over 20 years. Any
ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would remove the sediment bowl, remove the float and needle.
The bowl is probably gunked up, wipe it out. While it's open,
give every hole you see a spritz of carburetor cleaner. Make sure
you get fuel through the needle seat into the carb throat. Look
over the bolt that holds the sediment bowl on, see if it has a
large hole down the center with a small cross hole near the head -
make sure these are open if you have them. Reassemble. Should
fire up and run. A breath of carb cleaner in the air intake will
help it fire. A dose of Stabil will help next time.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Frank wrote in message
. ..
Just got under 10 hours on my plate vibrator/compactor and the
Briggs & Stratton 6.5 hp I/C Industrial OHV motor won't run.
Model 122432, Type 0113, Code E8. Put it in storage two months
ago, shut off the fuel line and ran it until dry. Got it out of
storage, put fresh gas in, open the fuel line, choke it, ran it
for about 30 seconds, unchoke it and give it more gas and than
it dies. Seems like it lacks power. Clean the filter, check the
plug ( was running rich) restart it again and dies again when
giving it a little throttle every time. Don't think carburetor
is adjustable. Too soon for a four cycle engine to die, my Honda
engine lasted well over 20 years. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Did it run OK right before you put it in storage?

Oh yes, ran really well.

Runs rich means either
it's feeding too much gas, or too little air. Yah, basic stuff. How did
you
know too rich? Black spark plug?

Black plug, fliter was full of dirt.

Try it with part choke. If it's running lean, then it will run better with
part choke. What comes to mind, is that on B & S Engines, sometimes the
gasket dries out, between the carb and the engine. That makes it nearly
impossible to start (have to use ether or some gas in the air intake).

Couldn't even get it started now, flush out the "new" regular gas and
replace fresh premium gas and clean the plug.

With the exception oh Honda, don't have luck with new engines (4 or 2
cycle), my old engines will start within 3 pulls.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Frank wrote in message
. ..
Just got under 10 hours on my plate vibrator/compactor and the Briggs &
Stratton 6.5 hp I/C Industrial OHV motor won't run. Model 122432, Type
0113,
Code E8. Put it in storage two months ago, shut off the fuel line and ran
it
until dry. Got it out of storage, put fresh gas in, open the fuel line,
choke it, ran it for about 30 seconds, unchoke it and give it more gas and
than it dies. Seems like it lacks power. Clean the filter, check the plug
( was running rich) restart it again and dies again when giving it a
little
throttle every time. Don't think carburetor is adjustable. Too soon for a
four cycle engine to die, my Honda engine lasted well over 20 years. Any
ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Hey thanks Stormin and DanG. Got it starter this morning, it wasn't the
fuel. Took the carb apart and blow compressed air through every hole. Seem
like the needle seat may have gotten stuck. One pull and fired right away,
runs great and lots of power.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Sorry to hear it's giving you so much trouble. When an engine floods like
that, sometimes I take the plug out, and then yank the start rope a couple
times. Blow a bunch of fresh air into the chamber.

Isn't the quality of everything going down? Seems that way to me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Frank wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you. Will remember that, when I'm working on small engines. I had a
similar thing a couple winters ago, working on a friend's Dad's snow blower.
Tecumseh, with a bowl carb. Ran a couple seconds on ether. Finally took the
carb bowl off, and freed up the needle and seat.

That day was bitter cold. I got to the end of their street, and got stuck in
the snow the plow had folded onto their side street. Lucky me, palm it up
into neutral. Punch the 4-high button, and give it a couple seconds. Slide
the shift back into drive, and give er some gas. Pulled me right over the
snow. Couple feet later, palm it into neutral and back to 2-high.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus