Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

Tegger wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote
Are you sure about that 90K limit?

That's what the dealer told him. I don't know if he still has the
manual, but I can ask.

And for what's it's worth, your thoughts are the same as what I've
tried to say a few times in this thread - why wait?

It is an interference engine

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598
http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...428-1466_web.p
df&folder=brochure The Gates manual says 105,000 miles.I noticed
after posting this, the kit also comes with a water pump.
Thatanswers a dispute of a couple of earlier posters about it.

I strongly advise against using aftermarket timing belts or water pumps on
any Honda or Toyota. Neither has the durability of genuine OEM.

But then if all you're expecting is to get another 40-50K or so before you
get rid of the car, go ahead and use aftermarket. Let the new owner deal
with any early failures.

???? Most of the cost is labor. When I had the rubber band changed in my
4-cyl Accord, they said the diff between OEM and imitation parts was
maybe 20 bucks.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

If you are driving a Chrysler and you doi NOT change the fluid, it's
your funeral. Leaving the old fluid until you have a problem
GUARANTEES it will fail just after you change the fluid - as does
using the wrong fluid.
250,000 miles on a Chrysler automatic is NOT out of reach, or even out
of the ordinary, if it is "properly" serviced.

Can't speak for Chrysler cars. Never owned one, never will. I know too
many people with too many problems on Chrysler car and I never liked their
styling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote

If you are driving a Chrysler and you doi NOT change the fluid, it's
your funeral. Leaving the old fluid until you have a problem
GUARANTEES it will fail just after you change the fluid - as does
using the wrong fluid.
250,000 miles on a Chrysler automatic is NOT out of reach, or even out
of the ordinary, if it is "properly" serviced.

Can't speak for Chrysler cars. Never owned one, never will. I know too
many people with too many problems on Chrysler car and I never liked their
styling.

I always liked how two year old Chryler mini-vans belched fumes like 20 year
old Blazers, because engine tolerances were measured in whole inches. I also
liked how Chrysler apologists rationalized this by saying the engines were
made by someone else - maybe Mitsubishi - I don't recall.