Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Timing/ power trans. belt

I have seen semi-high horse power aplications of timing belts, even a 350
v-8 chev/harley. My question is, has anyone ever seen a timing belt, say 1
1/4" wide, three hundred h.p. that uses a 90 degree twist in drive and
driven pulleys? Say drive is vert. and driven is horizontal.

Dixon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dixon wrote:
I have seen semi-high horse power aplications of timing belts, even a 350
v-8 chev/harley. My question is, has anyone ever seen a timing belt, say 1
1/4" wide, three hundred h.p. that uses a 90 degree twist in drive and
driven pulleys? Say drive is vert. and driven is horizontal.

Dixon

My lathe (Clausing) uses a timing belt for the final spindle drive, this
is a relatively low horsepower application and uses an H150 series belt
(1/2 inch pitch x 1-1/2 wide). Somewhere, either in a catalog or on the
net, I saw a belt application chart and 300 hp would have been off the
scale for this size belt, let alone one twisted.

You might, maybe, get by with the twist if the pulleys were far enough
apart, old time overhead shafting drives were sometimes arranged this way.

Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Belt life is terrible. The outside edges have a longer path than center,
results in the center not being properly tensioned. You might be able to
run the setup with a much reduced HP rating but I doubt you would find
it acceptable.

Dixon wrote:
I have seen semi-high horse power aplications of timing belts, even a 350
v-8 chev/harley. My question is, has anyone ever seen a timing belt, say 1
1/4" wide, three hundred h.p. that uses a 90 degree twist in drive and
driven pulleys? Say drive is vert. and driven is horizontal.

Dixon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul" wrote: (clip) You might, maybe, get by with the twist if the pulleys
were far enough
apart, old time overhead shafting drives were sometimes arranged this way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Also I recall seeing belt driven farm equipment where the belt is
deliberately twisted. But these drives didn't have teeth. Seems to me that
the twist might make the teeth come into engagement funny, and increase
wear.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dixon wrote:
I have seen semi-high horse power aplications of timing belts, even a 350
v-8 chev/harley. My question is, has anyone ever seen a timing belt, say
1 1/4" wide, three hundred h.p. that uses a 90 degree twist in drive and
driven pulleys? Say drive is vert. and driven is horizontal.

Dixon

Monday I'll try to find a belt manufacturer tech person. The project I'm
considering is a 300 hp V-6 merc outboard in a sea doo, driven by propellors
instead of jet drive. Keeping the motor vertical as designed by mercury
eliminates a lot of problems. If you turn a water cooled motor in any other
direction, you have to deal with venting areas of trapped air in the cooling
system. There were even some three cyl. merc. outboards that were burning
the top cyl. until a small vent hole was put in on the very top of the water
jacket to get rid of the trapped air pocket. The water would circulate fine,
but the air would have no way out, creating a hot spot.With fuel inj. any
position works ok in that area.
Dixon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dixon wrote:
[...]

I'll have the shore-based artillery ready when you come this way... /mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark F wrote:

I'll have the shore-based artillery ready when you come this way... /mark

At least you'll get lots of shots off before they get out of range.
Lot's of happy noise covering up the sonic crack of the near misses.

Maybe seed the area with lengths of camo floating rope. Let em walk back.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dixon wrote:
I have seen semi-high horse power aplications of timing belts, even a 350
v-8 chev/harley. My question is, has anyone ever seen a timing belt, say 1
1/4" wide, three hundred h.p. that uses a 90 degree twist in drive and
driven pulleys? Say drive is vert. and driven is horizontal.

Dixon

You could look through some of the tech docs here
http://www.contitech.de/pages/produk...ustrie_en.html
If you go to the belt type page you should be able to download technical
data for the belt type. I have used the Poly V belt design data before
and it seemed very comprehensive. From their details the largest section
can go upto 400kW and is capable of the drive type you want. Whether in
practice it can be made to work may depend on other factor such as
available space.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark F" wrote in message
Dixon wrote:

Monday I'll try to find a belt manufacturer tech person. The project I'm
considering is a 300 hp V-6 merc outboard in a sea doo

I'll have the shore-based artillery ready when you come this way... /mark

Make sure the piranhas are hungry...

-Carl
--
The future isn't what it used to be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Byrns" wrote in message

"Mark F" wrote in message

The project I'm
considering is a 300 hp V-6 merc outboard in a sea doo

I'll have the shore-based artillery ready when you come this way... /mark

Make sure the piranhas are hungry...

-Carl

Don't stereotpye me with the idiots that make all that racket on your lake
visits or fishing trips on jet-skis. This will be a sanctioned race mach.
for drag racing. I currently have a V-6 Mercury outboard hydroplane that
runs 140 mph in eight seconds.
Dixon