Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dixon Dixon is offline

Default Timing/ power trans. belt

"RoyJ" wrote in message
Belt life is terrible. The outside edges have a longer path than center,
results in the center not being properly tensioned. You might be able to
run the setup with a much reduced HP rating but I doubt you would find it
acceptable.

Dixon wrote:
I have seen semi-high horse power aplications of timing belts, even a 350
v-8 chev/harley. My question is, has anyone ever seen a timing belt, say
1 1/4" wide, three hundred h.p. that uses a 90 degree twist in drive and
driven pulleys? Say drive is vert. and driven is horizontal.

Dixon

Monday I'll try to find a belt manufacturer tech person. The project I'm
considering is a 300 hp V-6 merc outboard in a sea doo, driven by propellors
instead of jet drive. Keeping the motor vertical as designed by mercury
eliminates a lot of problems. If you turn a water cooled motor in any other
direction, you have to deal with venting areas of trapped air in the cooling
system. There were even some three cyl. merc. outboards that were burning
the top cyl. until a small vent hole was put in on the very top of the water
jacket to get rid of the trapped air pocket. The water would circulate fine,
but the air would have no way out, creating a hot spot.With fuel inj. any
position works ok in that area.
Dixon