Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Timing/ power trans. belt

Dixon wrote:
I have seen semi-high horse power aplications of timing belts, even a 350
v-8 chev/harley. My question is, has anyone ever seen a timing belt, say 1
1/4" wide, three hundred h.p. that uses a 90 degree twist in drive and
driven pulleys? Say drive is vert. and driven is horizontal.

Dixon

My lathe (Clausing) uses a timing belt for the final spindle drive, this
is a relatively low horsepower application and uses an H150 series belt
(1/2 inch pitch x 1-1/2 wide). Somewhere, either in a catalog or on the
net, I saw a belt application chart and 300 hp would have been off the
scale for this size belt, let alone one twisted.

You might, maybe, get by with the twist if the pulleys were far enough
apart, old time overhead shafting drives were sometimes arranged this way.

Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.