Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric" wrote in message
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Every evening about 5 o'clock my wife and I take a walk in the neighborhood.
If we see someone cooking or about to sit down for dinner, we knock on the
door to visit. Most times, we get an invitation to join them. That has cut
our food bill by 60%. You'd also be amazed at how you can slip into those
big summer picnics people have. Everyone smiles and chats, no one has the
courage to ask "what the hell are you doing here?" If the food is good and
lots of it, stay until they start cleaning up and you will even get a
platter of leftovers to take home. HINT: Never be the last to leave
though.

To reduce the laundry and all the costs associated with it, we no longer
wear underwear. That has cut the laundry by 30%, but you do have to use
care when wearing light colored slacks as they can get stained easily in the
back.

Used to et a $10 haircut every three weeks or about 17 times a year.
Shaving my head put $170 a year in my pocket. I'm having less success
getting my wife to do the same though.

We no longer have cable TV. A $25 investment in binoculars allows me to
watch the neighbor's TV across the street. In the summer, I can even get
some sound as they open the windows.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Change incandescent to CFL lights.

If you have an old furnace, upgrade to a new 95%+ effiency model.

Check your insulation and windows. Upgrade if warranted.

If your "financial advisor" charges you recurring fees, switch to a
"fee only" financial advisor who doesn't stand to profit from the
investments he recommends.

Replace whole life with term life insurance.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 8:44*pm, Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Don't buy/eat processed foods. Processing costs $$ you can save!

John Kuthe...
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating to how you make your money go much further
than it used to, whether it's for food - weekly living expenses,
home and financial investment, etc.

One word: road kill.

HTH :-)

Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:08:39 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating to how you make your money go much further
than it used to, whether it's for food - weekly living expenses,
home and financial investment, etc.

One word: road kill.

Hey, I'm not above picking up roadkill sometimes
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating to how you make your money go much further
than it used to, whether it's for food - weekly living expenses,
home and financial investment, etc.

One word: *road kill.

Hey, I'm not above picking up roadkill sometimes

Makes great Hillbilly Stew!

John Kuthe...
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating to how you make your money go much further
than it used to, whether it's for food - weekly living expenses,
home and financial investment, etc.

One word: *road kill.

Hey, I'm not above picking up roadkill sometimes

Makes great Hillbilly Stew!

Just call me Cletus

Well, looking at it logically:

It gets pretty cool here, nothing unusual here to see -6ºC overnight,
and it's a pretty remote area. So if you come across some roadkill
early in the day that wasnt there the evening before, it'll be in
perfect condition - assuming it didnt get mashed of course!

Quite common to find Venison or Wallaby here... the other creatures
I'd avoid. If nothing else, it makes perfectly good pet meat. It's
nearly impossible to live here and drive at night without at least
hitting a wallaby from time to time. The crazy buggers will sometimes
slam into the *side* of the vehicle as well.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Spend less.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 9:44*pm, Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

i eat potatoes and carrots STOP today i got 10 pounds of Yukon Gold
potatoes for $1.99 STOP so i made potato paprikash STOP
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:44:37 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

Quite common to find Venison or Wallaby here... the other creatures

Where are you? Walla Walla?

I'd avoid. If nothing else, it makes perfectly good pet meat. It's
nearly impossible to live here and drive at night without at least
hitting a wallaby from time to time. The crazy buggers will sometimes
slam into the *side* of the vehicle as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

Ed, it appears that you are on your way to becoming a "Freegan".
I watched an interesting news story on people who dumpster dive
even though they are fairly well off.

http://freegan.info/

TDD
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating to how you make your money go much further
than it used to, whether it's for food - weekly living expenses,
home and financial investment, etc.
One word: road kill.

Hey, I'm not above picking up roadkill sometimes

Makes great Hillbilly Stew!

John Kuthe...

Do you make it out of real Hillbillies? How do you clean and
dress them before cooking?

TDD

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

"Eric" wrote in message
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Cancel your ISP account.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 May 2010 01:51:59 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:44:37 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

Quite common to find Venison or Wallaby here... the other creatures

Where are you? Walla Walla?

Something like that. AKA Van Dieman's Land.

I'd avoid. If nothing else, it makes perfectly good pet meat. It's
nearly impossible to live here and drive at night without at least
hitting a wallaby from time to time. The crazy buggers will sometimes
slam into the *side* of the vehicle as well.

ObFood:
Lunch - Roast Pumpkin and onion soup
Dinner - Chicken Rendang

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:44:58 -0700, Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether it's
for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Another journalist trying to do research on the cheap, with minimal
effort?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, ...

Many years ago, I met someone who did that by putting it in a suitcase
and flying it to Switzerland.

Colin Bignell

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also practice,
relating to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Get quite a bit of stuff at yard sales.

Hardly ever buy anything that isnt on special except stuff that I dont use much
of. Keep enough stock so I can always by at the best price I have ever seen,
and keep track of what the best price is for the stuff I use much of.

Brew my own beer. My country gouges commercial alcohol except wine.
Better beer than the commercial beer too.

Almost never buy books new anymore. Mostly get them at yard sales and
online, second hand. We dont have a viable free book exchange in my country.
The public library does have some stuff I want to read, but doesnt have quite
a bit of other stuff too, like Jared Diamond's books and true crime etc.

Built my own house from scratch doing almost all of the work myself.

I've always understood the basics with financial investments, started off
with stocks while still in high school and made heaps over the next 50+ years.

Drive a very fuel efficient small Korean car. Used the one before
that one for 35+ years and it only passed its useby date when I
was stupid enough to not fix the obviously leaking windscreen and
it eventually rusted the floor and couldnt be registered anymore.

Did my most expensive hobby, light plane flying, essentially for free
by dry hiring the plane we owned to a commercial pilot and with one
of the other owners having been in aircraft maintenance for years etc.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

"Dope will get you through times of no money, better than money will get
you through times of no dope."

Freewheeling Franklin

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Consume less - don't buy so much food just to throw half of it away
Turn the heating down - wear a sweater, put another blanket on the bed
dump the TV subscription - you don't watch most of it anyway
lose the smartphone - should be obvious
don't have kids - probably the biggest single saving you'll ever make
walk - if you're able-bodied, anything less than a mile should be on foot
cancel the gym subscription - you probably never even went once
use gas for heating - turn off the elctric fires
don't wash your clothes after 1 wearing - saves power and they'll last longer
use a laptop, not a desktop PC - less power hungry and hibernates better
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend ...

Shop around. Just about to buy a 1T network hard drive for £107 from
a big known retailer, most places have it just under £130, the RRP is
closer to £150...

A few quid can be saved by watching for the BOGOF or other offers in
the supermarket but do the maths! Sometimes the "offer" price can
actually be more than buying a similar quantity of the same product
but in different package sizes at the regular price.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,
Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Tops on my list is to shop online whenever possible. For example, if I
need a USB cable for my printer, I can easily buy one online for $2 or
$3 for a six foot long cable,

Plus post and packing.

whereas all the stores in my area charge
around $20 for the same cable.

plus cost of fuel to pick it up.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Never bathe alone.

Launder and reuse condoms.

Use both sides of the TP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ed, it appears that you are on your way to becoming a "Freegan".
I watched an interesting news story on people who dumpster dive
even though they are fairly well off.

"Dumpster diving" is so pejorative. "Foraging" is more appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2010 10:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

A true one, that I heard, was family washes cars when it rains. They go
out in raincoats, rinse off dirt with bucket of soapy water and let rain
do the rest.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

You can get two meals of tuna from a can of tuna, but that same can of tuna
can provide several dozen meals of cat.

Jon

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/10 13:06, brooklyn1 wrote:

Launder and reuse condoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaFOuuQOGk

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

Site is currently down - it says so.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:44:58 -0700, Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether it's
for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Another journalist trying to do research on the cheap, with minimal
effort?

Sounds like a school project to me, but replies are fun.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating to how you make your money go much further
than it used to, whether it's for food - weekly living expenses,
home and financial investment, etc.

One word: *road kill.

Hey, I'm not above picking up roadkill sometimes

Makes great Hillbilly Stew!

Just call me Cletus

It sounds better if you say, ''Well slap my ass and call me Cletus.''

--Bryan, Ozark Hillbilly
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 4:28*am, pete wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Eric wrote:
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Consume less - don't buy so much food just to throw half of it away

That's good advice.

Turn the heating down - wear *a sweater, put another blanket on the bed

Or on a hot day, turn off the AC and post to the NG buck naked.

dump the TV subscription - you don't watch most of it anyway

I've never paid for TV.

lose the smartphone - should be obvious

Don't have one of those either.

don't have kids - probably the biggest single saving you'll ever make

Or have only one.

walk - if you're able-bodied, anything less than a mile should be on foot

When there's time and the weather is nice. Bicycle too.

cancel the gym subscription - you probably never even went once

We get a free one, and I still don't go much.

use gas for heating - turn off the elctric fires

We do that too.

don't wash your clothes after 1 wearing - saves power and they'll last longer

But they get smelly.

use a laptop, not a desktop PC - less power hungry and hibernates better

The screen is too small.

--Bryan

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y

In ,
brooklyn1 spewed forth:
wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Never bathe alone.

Launder and reuse condoms.

Don't forget to shake the **** outta them first

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Eric" wrote in message
[...]

I just tried it and it popped right up.

TDD
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 14/05/10 13:06, brooklyn1 wrote:

Launder and reuse condoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaFOuuQOGk

--
Tim Watts

I would guess not having kids has saved me a fortune.

Adam

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
LouB wrote:

[...]