Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Eric" wrote in message
What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also
practice, relating
to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for
food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Every evening about 5 o'clock my wife and I take a walk in the
neighborhood. If we see someone cooking or about to sit down for dinner,
we knock on the door to visit. Most times, we get an invitation to join
them. That has cut our food bill by 60%. You'd also be amazed at how
you can slip into those big summer picnics people have. Everyone smiles
and chats, no one has the courage to ask "what the hell are you doing
here?" If the food is good and lots of it, stay until they start
cleaning up and you will even get a platter of leftovers to take home.
HINT: Never be the last to leave though.

To reduce the laundry and all the costs associated with it, we no longer
wear underwear. That has cut the laundry by 30%, but you do have to
use care when wearing light colored slacks as they can get stained
easily in the back.

Used to et a $10 haircut every three weeks or about 17 times a year.
Shaving my head put $170 a year in my pocket. I'm having less success
getting my wife to do the same though.

We no longer have cable TV. A $25 investment in binoculars allows me to
watch the neighbor's TV across the street. In the summer, I can even
get some sound as they open the windows.

Ed, it appears that you are on your way to becoming a "Freegan".
I watched an interesting news story on people who dumpster dive
even though they are fairly well off.

http://freegan.info/

TDD