Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

Eric wrote:

What are currently your best saving tips you recommend and also practice,
relating to how you make your money go much further than it used to, whether
it's for food - weekly living expenses, home and financial investment, etc.

Get quite a bit of stuff at yard sales.

Hardly ever buy anything that isnt on special except stuff that I dont use much
of. Keep enough stock so I can always by at the best price I have ever seen,
and keep track of what the best price is for the stuff I use much of.

Brew my own beer. My country gouges commercial alcohol except wine.
Better beer than the commercial beer too.

Almost never buy books new anymore. Mostly get them at yard sales and
online, second hand. We dont have a viable free book exchange in my country.
The public library does have some stuff I want to read, but doesnt have quite
a bit of other stuff too, like Jared Diamond's books and true crime etc.

Built my own house from scratch doing almost all of the work myself.

I've always understood the basics with financial investments, started off
with stocks while still in high school and made heaps over the next 50+ years.

Drive a very fuel efficient small Korean car. Used the one before
that one for 35+ years and it only passed its useby date when I
was stupid enough to not fix the obviously leaking windscreen and
it eventually rusted the floor and couldnt be registered anymore.

Did my most expensive hobby, light plane flying, essentially for free
by dry hiring the plane we owned to a commercial pilot and with one
of the other owners having been in aircraft maintenance for years etc.