Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

On Apr 22, 6:15*am, willshak wrote:
Mike wrote the following:

So I'm cleaning up the kitchen last night after getting the kids to
bed, running some water in the sink as I rinse dishes. *The side of
the sink with the disposal starts to fill up a bit, so I do the usual
- click on the disposal to clear the junk out and let the water flow.
Except this time the water didn't begin flowing. *I heard the motor
run when I flipped the switch, but nothing happened. *I pull out the
rubber piece in the sink, put on a glove and reach in a bit (yes, I
know this is ill-advised). *There is, of course, a bunch of food in
there. *I take a moment to scoop out as much as I can and then shine a
flashlight into the disposal. *I see in there the nut that holds the
flywheel to the spinning bolt, but the nut is not in the middle like
it should be. *I fish out the nut and it's got part of the bolt still
in it. *In short, the bolt that come up the middle from the motor has
broken and the top portion of the bolt is still in the nut. *Good
grief. *I set the fly wheel back in the center so that I can see the
top of the bolt, and then turn on the motor briefly. *Yep, the bolt
still turns, but without the nut holding the flywheel to the bolt, the
flywheel just sits there. *Off to google, search string "garbage
disposal repair". *Tons of results for things like unclogging a
disposal, resetting a disposal, but nothing that addresses my
situation.

So what do you think? *Is this fixable, or is a replacement disposal
the only viable way to go? *If I do end up getting a plan to fix the
unit, it seems like pulling teh disposal from the sink will be the
only way to get down into the guts where the bolt meets the motor.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Mike

Remove the disposer and replace it with a piece of drain pipe. What do
you need a disposal for? Dumping pieces of garbage into your septic
tank, or worse, the municipal sewer system, which has to work extra to
remove that crap before they release the treated water into the waterways?
Get a cheap garbage can and scrape the waste from the dishes into it. I
hear some places actually have some kind of service where trucks come
and pick up the garbage for you. Of course there is a fee.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Most people don't like scooping bits of crud and various foodstuffs,
peelings, chicken guts, etc. from the drain into a garbage can
(yuck). Garbage disposals are practically standard equipment in
modern kitchens. They save time, avoid messes, and are very
convenient. It's so nice to wipe off everything right off your
counters directly into the undermount sink and flip a switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote the following:

[...]

counters directly into the undermount sink and flip a switch.- Hide quoted text -

Changing children's diapers or even wiping one's own anus might
qualify?
Have done both!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 11:49*am, mike wrote:
Most people don't like scooping bits of crud and various foodstuffs,
peelings, chicken guts, etc. from the drain into a garbage can
(yuck). *

Why would you do that? Scrape leftovers off the plates straight into
the can. Dump the cutting board straight into the can too. Why create
the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and
then scooping them into the can?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 10:08*am, wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:49*am, mike wrote:

Most people don't like scooping bits of crud and various foodstuffs,
peelings, chicken guts, etc. from the drain into a garbage can
(yuck). *

Why would you do that? Scrape leftovers off the plates straight into
the can. Dump the cutting board straight into the can too. Why create
the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and
then scooping them into the can?

Are you supposed to wash your dishes in the garbage can? Are you
supposed to wash off food and meat in a garbage can? I don't think
so.

You do food prep where there is running water. That place is the
sink, not the garbage can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 1:08*pm, wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:49*am, mike wrote:

Most people don't like scooping bits of crud and various foodstuffs,
peelings, chicken guts, etc. from the drain into a garbage can
(yuck). *

Why would you do that? Scrape leftovers off the plates straight into
the can. Dump the cutting board straight into the can too. Why create
the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and
then scooping them into the can?

"Why create the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to
the sink and then scooping them into the can?"

Sometimes it's not as easy as "scrape leftovers off the plates
straight into the can" ... at least not in my kitchen.

Consider bits of food left in the bottom of a can being rinsed for the
recycling bin, food mixed with liquids (e.g. soup) being tossed from
the fridge, cooked food stuck to a frying or roasting pan, etc.

All of these are much more easily dealt with under running water,
which is going to result in food scrapes in the sink.

I'm not arguing for or against disposers, I'm simply stating that I
can't imagine being able to avoid ending up with food waste in the
sink - at least not in my kitchen, or any kitchen that I have ever
cooked in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 6:51�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:08�pm, wrote:

On Apr 22, 11:49�am, mike wrote:

[...]

What you actualy need is a pig/hog out back. This will give you the
opportunity to properly recycle your food waste.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 1:08 pm, wrote:

On Apr 22, 11:49 am, mike wrote:

[...]

opportunity to properly recycle your food waste.- Hide quoted text -

Didja even read my post?

It had nothing to do with recycling or not recycling. It was about the
need for a sink to *catch* food waste on occasion.

What a person chooses to do with the food waste once it's in the sink
was not something that I addressed - and I even pointed that out in my
final paragraph.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote the following:
On Apr 22, 10:08 am, wrote:

On Apr 22, 11:49 am, mike wrote:

Most people don't like scooping bits of crud and various foodstuffs,
peelings, chicken guts, etc. from the drain into a garbage can
(yuck).

Why would you do that? Scrape leftovers off the plates straight into
the can. Dump the cutting board straight into the can too. Why create
the extra operation of moving the waste foodstuffs to the sink and
then scooping them into the can?

Are you supposed to wash your dishes in the garbage can? Are you
supposed to wash off food and meat in a garbage can? I don't think
so.

You do food prep where there is running water. That place is the
sink, not the garbage can.

A lot of people have slide out garbage cans in the cabinet right under
the sink. Me, I have a trash compactor in the cabinet on the right side
of the sink cabinet. Scrape the dishes in the compactor and then put the
dishes in the dishwasher, or wash them by hand.
I used to get the compactor bags that were pretty expensive, but for the
last year or so, I have been using the Glad Force Flex tall kitchen bags
in it. Never had a puncture yet, but I don't throw glass in it since we
have a recycle pickup where I live.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote the following:

[...]

Who peels stuff in the sink? I peel right over the garbage can, and do
the cutting on a cutting board. The parts I don't wanna eat, I just tip
the cutting board into the trash can. I never have large scraps on the
plates to worry about- when you live alone, you only make a plateful at
a time, and finish what you put on the plate.

I thought I would miss a disposal after having one for 25 years out on
my own, but I've been here almost five years and don't even notice it
any more. And the drains here are less-than-optimal, so I don't wanna
stress them (or the septic) any more than I have to.

--
aem sends..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote the following:

[...]

Chicken bones?

I thought I would miss a disposal after having one for 25 years out on
my own, but I've been here almost five years and don't even notice it
any more. And the drains here are less-than-optimal, so I don't wanna
stress them (or the septic) any more than I have to.

We have city sewers (made sure of that). I wouldn't be without a garbage
disposal anymore. I don't like food rotting in the garbage and I don't have
to worry about animals getting into the garbage. There's no food to attract
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

I thought I would miss a disposal after having one for 25 years out on my
own, but I've been here almost five years and don't even notice it any
more. And the drains here are less-than-optimal, so I don't wanna stress
them (or the septic) any more than I have to.

--
aem sends..

My attitude about them changed recently when we had to have our leach field
entirely replaced. $$$$ Now, mostly everything goes in the garbage can.
If I was on city sewage, tho, I'd run more stuff through it.

You mention peeling. What used to stop mine up every time was a lot of
potato peels.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

If I do ever have anything on the plate I decide isn't edible after all, I
just scrape it in the trash, or off the back of the deck for the animals.
If I suspect the trash can will then be smelly or attract bugs, I carry it
out and empty it. Not a big deal.

--
aem sends...

Where I live now, trash is only picked up once a week, rather than twice.
It is a challenge sometimes. And sometimes, we need to make a clandestine
trip to the dumpsters behind the store. In the summertime, stuff can really
get skanky in a week.

Plus, I have to haul two of the large "cans" 1/2 mile to the pick up point.
Living in rural America has its perks, but garbage pickup is not one of
them. At least not here.

Steve
XXtreme SW Utah

Visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote
Where I live now, trash is only picked up once a week, rather than twice.
It is a challenge sometimes. And sometimes, we need to make a clandestine
trip to the dumpsters behind the store. In the summertime, stuff can
really get skanky in a week.

Plus, I have to haul two of the large "cans" 1/2 mile to the pick up
point. Living in rural America has its perks, but garbage pickup is not
one of them. At least not here.

You do have a compost pile though right? That takes care of a large portion
of the vegatative type of garbage.

We have a disposal but rarely use it. Compost pile first, trash second, the
disposal takes care of the little bit that gets rinsed of a dish or
otherwise gets into the sink. I take the trash away as needed though, I
have access to a dumpster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

A lot of people have slide out garbage cans in the cabinet right under
the sink. Me, I have a trash compactor in the cabinet on the right
side of the sink cabinet. Scrape the dishes in the compactor and then
put the dishes in the dishwasher, or wash them by hand.
I used to get the compactor bags that were pretty expensive, but for
the last year or so, I have been using the Glad Force Flex tall
kitchen bags in it. Never had a puncture yet, but I don't throw glass
in it since we have a recycle pickup where I live.

I heard a trash compactor described as a device that can "with the help of
modern inventiveness, turn twenty-five pounds of garbage into twenty-five
pounds of garbage."

Ain't technology grand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote the following:

[...]

aem sends..- Hide quoted text -

"Who peels stuff in the sink?"

My wife. It hurts her back to lean over the can, which you kind of
have to do to keep the peelings from flying all over the place.

She'll typically toss most of the peelings in the can and then flush
the rest into the disposer.

As long as she keeps cooking the way she does, she can peel stuff any
d*mn place she wants!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:04:54 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:
(snip)

Chicken bones?

I take your point, but I don't cook anything with bones in it at home.
Like I said, I live alone, and I hate leftovers. Chicken is those 5-lb
bags of the pre-deboned breasts. 1 breast makes a good salad topper or
sandwich filler. Because my drains clog easily, I don't pour chicken
grease down the drain either- I wipe the pan out with a paper towel, and
put it in the trash.

We eat boneless breasts (and legs/thighs, BTW) too but not *every* night.
Depending on the mood (not mine and the price we also eat a lot of bone-in
chicken.

If I do ever have anything on the plate I decide isn't edible after all,
I just scrape it in the trash, or off the back of the deck for the
animals. If I suspect the trash can will then be smelly or attract bugs,
I carry it out and empty it. Not a big deal.

I don't want the critters around the house and the stuff stinks, particularly
after a week in the summer sun. I don't want the flies, either. There is no
food in our "garbage" so no smell, no critter scattering it, and no flies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote the following:

[...]

In my house it all goes down the disposer.

As long as she keeps cooking the way she does, she can peel stuff any
d*mn place she wants!

As long as that's not the only place she's cooking. ...though that "peeling"
part sounds painful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

A lot of people have slide out garbage cans in the cabinet right under
the sink. Me, I have a trash compactor in the cabinet on the right
side of the sink cabinet. Scrape the dishes in the compactor and then
put the dishes in the dishwasher, or wash them by hand.
I used to get the compactor bags that were pretty expensive, but for
the last year or so, I have been using the Glad Force Flex tall
kitchen bags in it. Never had a puncture yet, but I don't throw glass
in it since we have a recycle pickup where I live.

I heard a trash compactor described as a device that can "with the help of
modern inventiveness, turn twenty-five pounds of garbage into twenty-five
pounds of garbage."

Ain't technology grand?

In a smaller bag.
My weekly garbage is compacted into a bag that is about 10 lbs in
weight, yet can fit in a 5 lb joint compound pail.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

I don't dump raw garbage in the garbage cans. All my garbage is bagged
and sealed before it goes into the garbage can. I have never had to
clean my garbage cans in the 25 years I have lived here. I have had to
replace cans because the wheels started to come off..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

You don't read very well either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

There are a lot of things that you don't well either. One of them is
logical thinking.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

zzzzzzzzzz defense some municipalities actually encourage
using disposals. They use the sludge as a form of bio-fuel. In away, I think
that is irresponsible because too much can clog a system. I'd never do it
regardless but I guess it does vary per municipality.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

No one said anything about cleaning garbage cans, idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

Hah, ha, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa!!
You said the garbage cans attracts flies and critters, .
I live in the country. Animals do not get into my garbage, especially
raccoons, and they have hands rather than paws.
Flies don't bother with garbage sealed in bags in a properly closed can.
They'd rather go down the road where there is readily available
horse**** and cow****.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

No, idiot, it's food that attracts flies and critters.

I live in the country. Animals do not get into my garbage, especially
raccoons, and they have hands rather than paws.

More idiotic irrelevance.

Flies don't bother with garbage sealed in bags in a properly closed can.
They'd rather go down the road where there is readily available
horse**** and cow****.

IOW, your house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

DITTO..I use handle tie bags and seal it up by just tying them...No smell or
mess...I take them to the Transfer Station on Saturday morning...

Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way Steve B[_9_] Home Repair 0 April 22nd 10 04:39 PM
Garbage disposal JIMMIE Home Repair 1 December 28th 09 10:33 PM
garbage disposal doesn't MrAoD Home Repair 7 October 18th 04 11:37 AM
Garbage disposal KRusso6984 Home Repair 7 February 14th 04 07:16 PM
garbage disposal badgolferman Home Repair 1 August 31st 03 06:41 AM