Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low-friction track for sliding 60lb box about 3 feet.

I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"VM" wrote in message
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

If the box is flat on the bottom, get some PVC pipe and cut it into 4 or 5
pieces and put under the box to roll it. When the first piece comes out the
back, move it back to the front. If it is not flat, you may be able to put
a board under it to make it flat.
If it is only 60 lb, looks like you could get another to help just carry it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:53:36 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"VM" wrote in message
.. .
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

If the box is flat on the bottom, get some PVC pipe and cut it into 4 or 5
pieces and put under the box to roll it. When the first piece comes out the
back, move it back to the front. If it is not flat, you may be able to put
a board under it to make it flat.
If it is only 60 lb, looks like you could get another to help just carry it.

Thanks for your reply, Ralph. I should have explained this better.
It's a repetitive thing--gotta keep sliding it between two spots about
3 feet apart. And it's in kind of an awkward place to get any muscle
into it (or keep moving PVC rollers). Can only get to one end of it.
So I've just been pushing/pulling it across a couple 2x4's, but that's
no fun. g

I've got sliders that are used for mounting gear in electronic racks,
but they only have about 2 feet travel, max. That's why I was
wondering if there are glass door slides or something similar, and who
would sell those. Not sure if that's a home depot item.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"VM" wrote in message
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

If the box is flat on the bottom, get some PVC pipe and cut it into 4 or 5
pieces and put under the box to roll it. When the first piece comes out the
back, move it back to the front. If it is not flat, you may be able to put
a board under it to make it flat.
If it is only 60 lb, looks like you could get another to help just carry it.

This sounds familiar- did you ask this same question a month or three ago?

What is floor covered with? If other than shag carpet, those furniture
moving glide things would work. Harbor Freight is probably cheapest
source, but they sell them damn near everywhere. Does this need to be
pretty? Does box need to sit directly on floor? HF also has a good
selection of industrial casters, including ones with parking brakes.
Not 48 hours ago, I moved several computer room racks of several hundred
pounds each, on very frail-looking casters, quite easily. I did have to
screw the leveling legs up out of the way so the casters would not hang
up on floor seams, but they rolled and steered quite easily, once I
pulled the chocks out.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

Hmmm,
Can't get a helper? 60 lbs is not that heavy. Even one can pretty well
lift it at one end and pullit or push.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:17:39 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"VM" wrote in message
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, ...

This sounds familiar- did you ask this same question a month or three ago?

Nope. Do you happen to remember the thread title? Any promising
suggestions?

What is floor covered with? If other than shag carpet, those furniture
moving glide things would work. Harbor Freight is probably cheapest
source, but they sell them damn near everywhere.

It's outdoor. No carpet.

Does this need to be
pretty?

No.

Does box need to sit directly on floor?

It's on a couple 2x4's now, serving as temporary 'rails' but that's
pretty high friction.

HF also has a good
selection of industrial casters, including ones with parking brakes.
Not 48 hours ago, I moved several computer room racks of several hundred
pounds each, on very frail-looking casters, quite easily.

That's another thought. I would have to make a flat base for the thing
to roll on. I was thinking 'rails' or straight track simply cause I
usually have to keep it on a straight line, but I'll think about the
casters. Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

If the floor is wood or concrete, it would be quite easy to do.
I would take some angle iron or aluminum and attach parallel
strips to the floor to guide standard rubber or polyurethane
casters. If you don't use swivel casters, you would only need
one track on one side to guide those wheels. You could also use
metal U channel but the mounting holes would need to be counter-
sunk to keep the screws flush unless you used a stiff enough
metal channel that only needed to be anchored at each end.

http://www.castercity.com/products.htm

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 02:53:28 -0400, VM wrote:

Does box need to sit directly on floor?

It's on a couple 2x4's now, serving as temporary 'rails' but that's
pretty high friction.

Theh make sets of four**, to go under each corner of a refrigerator.
**I don't four what. If each one has one wheel or more. Maybe just
one. They're supposed to stay in place somehow. Maybe little teeth.
An inch high or so, iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"VM" wrote in message
[...]

Another thought- does the box have to stay completely level? Can you
just screw cleats or feet on the bottom, and use a good-quality 2-wheel
hand truck (the kind with blow-up tires, not the crap fold-up kind), to
pick up the box and roll it? With most 'real' hand trucks, the lever
action would be plenty to get it off the ground slightly, albeit at a 10
degree angle, and let you roll it back the three feet painlessly. If you
are worried about it falling off the cart, a short rope or one of those
ratcheting tie-down straps would easily secure it. About like moving a
small file cabinet.

I bought a cheap industrial hand truck like that 2 moves and 18 years
ago. Best 30-buck tool investment I have ever made. I may only use it
5-6 times a year, but it has saved my butt, and my back, many times.
They used to be hard to find, but now pretty much any place that sells
tools has them. For what you need, the Harbor Freight one is probably
cheapest, and more than adequate.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"VM" wrote in message

I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

Why not mount it on an appliance trolley, as used under
kitchen stoves to roll them forward for cleaning?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 04:59:28 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

http://www.crlaurence.com/
major supplier to the glass working industry. You may need to buy
through a local customer of theirs.

I do think that a chunk of ball roller conveyor or table would be
better:
http://www.ashlandconveyor.com/

Those look very cool! Closer to what I had in mind. Now if they're
affordable...

Thanks for the link, Dan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:42:12 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

Hmmm,
Can't get a helper? 60 lbs is not that heavy. Even one can pretty well
lift it at one end and pullit or push.

I don't have much problem moving it, but I already mentioned that it's
just push or pull. No access to lift it. Just looking to make things
a bit easier.

I think there was a Tony Hwang on one of the guitar groups a while
ago. Don't suppose that's you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 02:16:12 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

If the floor is wood or concrete, it would be quite easy to do.

That brings up another good point. At the moment, the 2x4's are the
only support...it's outside, and not on completely level surface. If
I go with casters, I was thinking about putting plywood under it, but
of course weather is a problem. Short of pouring concrete (can't be
done there), is there some material that would be available in sheet
form that would support a reasonable amount of weight, while surviving
the weather?

Thanks for your other comments, DD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

1. You can buy extremely low-friction strips, similar to the stuff on the
easy-glider furniture legs. I got about 40' for $18. Didn't work for ****.

2. I ended up buying a mess of furniture wheels from HF, attached them to a
2x4, and slid my stuff on that.

3. My final idea, which I didn't need to do, was a "ladder" made up of dowel
rods with lubed rollers of PVC, sort of a poor-man's gizmo they use to
unload packages from trucks.

While these are listed at $2.99, they've been on sale for $0.99

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 9:47*pm, VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. *Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. *I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. *And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

There is a plastic material called UHMW, easy to find at a plastics
store, and cheap. This stuff is durable and is very slick. I have
used it for thrust bearings on large surfaces where a real thrust
bearing would be cost prohibitive. Mount two small pieces onto the
bottom of the box, then mount 2 sliders to the floor. You can also
put edges onto the sliders to keep the box in the track. You'd need
about 18' of a narrow width, maybe 2".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2010 10:47 PM, VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

One option is to purchase, or make your own, rolling cargo bed. They
do make heavy duty drawer slides that are flat.

This is an example of a rolling cargo bed:

http://www.cargobed.com/

This is an example of heavy duty slides:

http://slim-track.com/heavy_duty.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 10, 10:47*pm, VM wrote:
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. *Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. *I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. *And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

Open up your yellow pages and find a seller of used factory conveyor
equipment. It is not likely to cost much, judging from the numerous
times I've seen it in my local scrap yard when I searched for project
iron pieces. Stuff is often fairly heavy duty, maybe more so than you
need.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

VM wrote:
[...]

Well heck, just use some steel U channel for support and
guide rails. It could be welded to some angle iron on the
bottom for more strength but for the short lengths, the U
channel may be enough.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

VM wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I'm 76 and now have trouble dead lifting that kind of weight, alone,
even if can get hold of it. Sixty pounds is not that heavy though.
I have a an ex WWII radio that weighs more than that! But no longer
move it alone.
BTW; 5'-10" and weigh 190lbs. dry, and have a slight heart condition.
But do routinely move items that weight (fridge, washer, dryer etc.
using a slightly tipped two wheel trolley).
If you haven't got one, and IMO every home should have, hung on wall
somewhere, a new two wheel simple 'hand trolley' as used by delivery
people, costs around $30 and will have lots of other uses! Best if it
has inflatable tyres kept at good pressure of around 60 to 80 psi.
Used our trolley a few minutes ago to move a burning barrel half full
of ashes; before lighting it again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight has an ad in the paper for a mover's dolly for $ 7.99 instead
of the regular $ 15. Maybe you can set the box on that and if needed put
down some treated 2x6 boards for the runners. Probably will not need them
unless on the ground.

"VM" wrote in message
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
VM wrote:
[...]

I used to impress this gal I knew, she was 5-11 and 230lbs. I would
throw her over my shoulder and carry her around. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:53:36 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"VM" wrote in message
.. .
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing
about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about
3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking about
sliders that they use for glass doors, but I'm not sure if there are
mounting constraints or if they'll support the weight. And I'd need
to find a vendor. Ideas?

If the box is flat on the bottom, get some PVC pipe and cut it into 4 or 5
pieces and put under the box to roll it. When the first piece comes out the
back, move it back to the front. If it is not flat, you may be able to put
a board under it to make it flat.
If it is only 60 lb, looks like you could get another to help just carry it.

Get some of those "EZ Sliders" they advertize on late-night TV. They'l
move 200 lbs with no problem, Just big teflon or something coated pads
that you slip under the load - slide on carpet, tile, hardwood etc but
not much good on rough concrete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:04:22 -0400, VM wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:53:36 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"VM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

What's wrong with casters?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"VM" wrote in message
[...]

Get a couple of pillow-blocks for each end and mount pulliys on the
end of axles - roll the pulleys on peices of angle iron on the ground
like ^.