Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 track sliding closet doors

I currently have a very long bedroom closet with two sets of bi-fold
doors and a center median of about the witdh of a 2x4. I would like to
knock out the center and fill the entire 100 inch space with 3 three
foot sliding doors. I would probably be OK with mirror or wood,
however I want to be able to slide all three doors to one side so 2/3's
of the closet is open. I would need a three-track system to accomadate
this and have not been able to find one. Also, standard wood closet
doors are 1 3/8 inches thick and three stacked like that might be to
thick.

Has anyone run into this and what would your suggstions be.

Thanks for and advice!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
I currently have a very long bedroom closet with two sets of bi-fold
doors and a center median of about the witdh of a 2x4. I would like to
knock out the center and fill the entire 100 inch space with 3 three
foot sliding doors. I would probably be OK with mirror or wood,
however I want to be able to slide all three doors to one side so 2/3's
of the closet is open. I would need a three-track system to accomadate
this and have not been able to find one. Also, standard wood closet
doors are 1 3/8 inches thick and three stacked like that might be to
thick.

Has anyone run into this and what would your suggstions be.

Not specifically, but a quick look at K & V found a set of hardware for
glass that are listed as adaptable for triple door usage. I would
presume at least some other manufacturers do as well. For other doors,
doubt it owing to the depth issue (see below).

As you say, using a standard door will result in a depth of greater
than a standard 4" wall so that isn't going to work well without more
modifications than the tracks alone. If it were me, I'd probably build
a set of doors by applying moulding to a plywood door blank to get the
thinner profile and modify existing tracks to fit by sawing them down
or using multiple single tracks if were really adamant about the
project. (In actuality, I suspect I'd live w/ the existing situation,
though...sounds like more trouble than I'd care to undertake for the
gain. ).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:05:04 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

Try this site for door hardwa http://jhus.com/

wrote in message
oups.com...
I currently have a very long bedroom closet with two sets of bi-fold
doors and a center median of about the witdh of a 2x4. I would like to
knock out the center and fill the entire 100 inch space with 3 three
foot sliding doors. I would probably be OK with mirror or wood,
however I want to be able to slide all three doors to one side so 2/3's
of the closet is open. I would need a three-track system to accomadate
this and have not been able to find one. Also, standard wood closet
doors are 1 3/8 inches thick and three stacked like that might be to
thick.

Has anyone run into this and what would your suggstions be.

Thanks for and advice!!

I did a very similar project in my kitchen. I found exactly what I needed and
what you are looking for at this site.
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/1166.htm

They are not inexpensive, but the track and rollers are of excellent quality.

I reused the original bi-fold doors which were not quite wide enough for the
total opening. By disassembling the door panels at the hinges and inserting a
spacer the length of each pair of doors, I was able to have the three doors
completely cover the opening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This looks like the exact type of track system I am looking for. Thank
you for the link!

John Grabowski wrote:
Try this site for door hardwa http://jhus.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:
Try this site for door hardwa
http://jhus.com/

This looks like the exact type of track system I am looking for. Thank
you for the link!

That "system" is simply using duplicate tracks. You can do the same
thing with any sliding door track.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mae mae is offline

replying to jeffs9000, mae wrote:
WE installed an 18 foot three tract,, 6 mirrored closet doors about 20 years
ago and am looking for the same thing for the home in which we currently live,
We also tried 2 double tracts and that didn't work at all, as it was wider
than the wall and there was no way to attach the back tract.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rs-159880-.htm