Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where are the CO Detector Police?

All over the radio lately, there have been commercials, sponsored by
Kidde, manufacturer of smoke and CO detectors trying to use scare
tactics to get you to buy new CO detectors.

"CO detectors are now required by law in most homes! Get yours now!"

Where are the CO detector police? Nobody's come to my house with a
badge demanding to see my CO detector.

You probably can't sell the house without proper CO detection
equipment in place, but I don't plan on selling any time soon... Who's
making me put in CO detectors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
All over the radio lately, there have been commercials, sponsored by
Kidde, manufacturer of smoke and CO detectors trying to use scare
tactics to get you to buy new CO detectors.

"CO detectors are now required by law in most homes! Get yours now!"

Where are the CO detector police? Nobody's come to my house with a
badge demanding to see my CO detector.

You probably can't sell the house without proper CO detection
equipment in place, but I don't plan on selling any time soon... Who's
making me put in CO detectors?

Proly yer insurance co's, indirectly.

If anything happens, they may not pay.
In this case, not homeowner's (that would be more for a smoke
alarms/resulting damage), but yer life insurance policies -- lack of due
diligence, and whatever other clauses they can use to screw you.

Having said that, apropos of the 3/25 ahr post on EPA demands and pre-1978
homes, this is proly the beginning of the New Penalty Pricing ito regular
municipal home inspections, where, like NYC businesses when they are
descended upon by 6 locust-like city agencies and handed $100,000 in
bull**** fines, your penalty fines for x,y,z infractions will make your
property taxes look like a tip at an expensive restaurant.

We had a shot at ****ing the Insurance companies with Obama's Public
Option..... but, we all know how THAT went.
After the public option flew out the window, nary an effing detail really
matters.

The bottom line is, the Ins. co's are stronger than ever, and they will rape
each and every one of us until we bleed from our eyes, ears, and noses.
Health, auto, home, life, property, you name it....

And you won't even be able to *count* the stitches you'll need in your main
orifici.

But back to the point at hand, I wonder just how many CO poisonings occur?
And what the actual stats were PRE-CO detector era, and POST CO-detector
era.
Heh, I'll bet CO poisonings shot up by factor of 100 AFTER CO-detectors....
gee, what a coincidence....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 3:26*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

As a general and sensible rule when/where are CO detectors required?
We have one electrically operated CO detector in the passageway to our
bedrooms, but the only device in the house that burns anything is a
wood stove in the basement that is never left burning when we sleep!
Everything else in the house, including heating, is electric. We also
have three smoke alarms, one in passageway near bathroom on way to
bedroom, one in a storeroom behind a closed door, off the kitchen and
one at bottom basement stairs, next to workshop. All three have new
batteries and do trigger on occasion, e.g. burn a piece of toast etc.
so we know they are working.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
All over the radio lately, there have been commercials, sponsored by
Kidde, manufacturer of smoke and CO detectors trying to use scare
tactics to get you to buy new CO detectors.

"CO detectors are now required by law in most homes! Get yours now!"

Where are the CO detector police? Nobody's come to my house with a
badge demanding to see my CO detector.

You probably can't sell the house without proper CO detection
equipment in place, but I don't plan on selling any time soon... Who's
making me put in CO detectors?

Proly yer insurance co's, indirectly.

Which insurance company?

Fire? A CO detector won't detect a fire.
Life? You're covered even if you die because of your negligence.

If anything happens, they may not pay.

Pay for what?

In this case, not homeowner's (that would be more for a smoke
alarms/resulting damage), but yer life insurance policies -- lack of due
diligence, and whatever other clauses they can use to screw you.

No.

You're not covered for suicide, because then it would be a money-maker
for people who were wiling to commit suicide. But that's the only
such exclusion. Take a look at your policy.

So now I think the rest of what you say is simlarly affected by your
skewed ideas.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

You're not covered for suicide, because then it would be a money-maker
for people who were wiling to commit suicide. But that's the only
such exclusion. Take a look at your policy.

Most states require coverage for suicide after a certain time period
(for some reason 3-5 years sticks in my mind in many states). The idea
is that you can't go out, get a big policy and then off yourself
immediately.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I figured that out a long time ago. I also agree this is another
good example where EA is obviously clueless. But it shows you how
informed at least one person is about insurance who believes Obama's
villification of the health insurance industry.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:50:52 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

You're not covered for suicide, because then it would be a money-maker
for people who were wiling to commit suicide. But that's the only
such exclusion. Take a look at your policy.

Most states require coverage for suicide after a certain time period
(for some reason 3-5 years sticks in my mind in many states). The idea
is that you can't go out, get a big policy and then off yourself
immediately.

I'm sorry. I've heard that. I forgot.

Hmmm. So all I'd have to do is wait 5 years. What else have I got
to do?

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Mar 26, 6:23*pm, George wrote:
On 3/26/2010 2:11 PM, wrote:

All over the radio lately, there have been commercials, sponsored by
Kidde, manufacturer of smoke and CO detectors trying to use scare
tactics to get you to buy new CO detectors.

"CO detectors are now required by law in most homes! Get yours now!"

Where are the CO detector police? Nobody's come to my house with a
badge demanding to see my CO detector.

You probably can't sell the house without proper CO detection
equipment in place, but I don't plan on selling any time soon... Who's
making me put in CO detectors?

My buddies wife inherited a small cottage on the ocean in the PRNJ which
they rent out during the summer. They got a letter from the local
government entity just before winter that they devised a new revenue
producing opportunity and a way to help their friends so they were
requiring that everyone install CO alarms and fire extinguishers in a
very specific fashion and that the installation had to be inspected for
a fee each year. Initially by some government worker and later by one of
a few of their friends who were specially qualified to do so. And in
typical government efficiency my friend had to drive down to the ocean
in January because the inspections were only being done then.

My question is whether a CO detector is needed in an all-electric
house. Our house has no gas lines coming into the house. So the need
for a CO detector i sounds like a mute point. Any ideas?

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

mute = silent
moot = irrelevant

You could still have a fire place, wood burning stove,
backup generator, lawn mower, weed whacker, gas powered
tiller, snow blower, gassy grand father who eats beans, or
other source of monoxide. But, the risk is a lot less.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"rlz" wrote in message

My question is whether a CO detector is needed in an
all-electric
house. Our house has no gas lines coming into the house. So
the need
for a CO detector i sounds like a mute point. Any ideas?

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote in message

As a general and sensible rule when/where are CO detectors required?
We have one electrically operated CO detector in the passageway to our
bedrooms, but the only device in the house that burns anything is a
wood stove in the basement that is never left burning when we sleep!
Everything else in the house, including heating, is electric. We also
have three smoke alarms, one in passageway near bathroom on way to
bedroom, one in a storeroom behind a closed door, off the kitchen and
one at bottom basement stairs, next to workshop. All three have new
batteries and do trigger on occasion, e.g. burn a piece of toast etc.
so we know they are working.

You have it right. COČ goes up, so if something happens and
that wood stove malfunctions you will get the warning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote the following:
On Mar 26, 6:23 pm, George wrote:

On 3/26/2010 2:11 PM, wrote:

[...]

I'm not going to look it up, but are there other States besides NY that
have Amanda's Law, or similar, regarding mandatory CO detectors?
In NYS, if you do not have any appliances, heaters, or other CO
producing equipment in the house, you are not required to have a CO
detector.
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/COAlarm.htm

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:42:34 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

You have it right. COČ goes up, so if something happens and
that wood stove malfunctions you will get the warning.

No, but CO2 is heavier than air (goes down), while CO is lighter than air
(goes up). This assumes no wind currents, of course.

Jon

You are totally right. I ment to write CO not COČ It is CO I
worry about most. It would take a rather unususal set of conditions to
build up a serious amount of COČ
Posted to alt.home.repair

Spelling Nazi comments. That CO (high number two) is CO
squared. The invisible gas is CO (lower number two) which is
the gas.

The high number is called superscript, the lower nubmer is
subscript.

Carry on!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:42:34 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

You have it right. COČ goes up, so if something
happens and
that wood stove malfunctions you will get the warning.

No, but CO2 is heavier than air (goes down), while CO is
lighter than air
(goes up). This assumes no wind currents, of course.

Jon

You are totally right. I ment to write CO not COČ It is CO
worry about most. It would take a rather unususal set of
conditions to
build up a serious amount of COČ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:42:34 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

You have it right. COČ goes up, so if something happens and
that wood stove malfunctions you will get the warning.

No, but CO2 is heavier than air (goes down), while CO is lighter than air
(goes up). This assumes no wind currents, of course.

Jon

You are totally right. I ment to write CO not COČ It is CO I
worry about most. It would take a rather unususal set of conditions to
build up a serious amount of COČ

Depends what "serious" means.
CO2 is the natural product of complete combustion of virtually any fuel,
except for mebbe hydrogen, whose only product is H2O, ergo it's
attractiveness as a fuel.

CO is the dreaded product of incomplete combustion.

In an enclosed room, you can get pretty high concentrations of CO2 from,
say, a gas stove.
It's just that CO2 is not itself very toxic, save for perhaps the
displacement of O2.

Human performance does suffer, however, as CO2 builds up.

Altho gas stoves are frowned upon as a method of room heating, millions
proly do it, and I did it for years. Yer windows sure do fog up....

Which points to the fact of how cleanly most stoves burn natural gas.
Not to mention "ventless" gas heaters (which bowls me over that these are
allowed), but which also supports the low CO risk of natural gas.

Having said that, ventless gas heaters are absolutely awful, imo.
Used two in a shop, couldn't stand them. The heat was *great*
(radiant-style), but the air quality was horrific -- proly no CO, but
whatever it was, it was awful.
And the water vapor was just prodigious, bad bad bad for a shop or a house.

Don't know why radiant gas heaters seem so much more miserable than a gas
stove -- mebbe it has sumpn to do with the ceramic....

No doubt tho, that if heating with a stove or ventless gas heater, a CO
detector is a good hedge, for peace of mind at the least.

Not saying they aren't a good idea anyway, I just object to the effing scare
tactics, and that before effing CO detectors, proly more people died from
lightning strikes than from household CO poisoning.
I'm sure Trader4 will jump -- mebbe even pull his thumb out of his ass -- at
the chance to prove this wrong.

AND, whether or not CO detectors are a good idea, the foisting of them on us
by mandate, law, whatever is not Not NOT because anyone gives a flying ****
about your or my well-being. It's just another big-bidness-municipal
income-producing opportunity, with some yapping lip-service about the Pubic
Good.

Same with seat belts/helmet laws -- the REAL motive behind seat belts et al
is their utility in penalty-based revenue raising.

ALTHO.....

Truth be told, my CO detector shot up like crazy when I would bring the car
into the basement garage.... wow..... Took a while for it to go down!

I think attached garages proly pose the greatest risk, and that would be
solved by just mandating them to be detached, which is proly a good idea
from several povs.

Funny, tho, a car brought into a basement garage can in fact heat the whole
house!! Huge mc delta T, for the chemically-inclined.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where are the CO Detector Police? ADDED new home law

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
wrote the following:
All over the radio lately, there have been commercials, sponsored by
Kidde, manufacturer of smoke and CO detectors trying to use scare
tactics to get you to buy new CO detectors.

"CO detectors are now required by law in most homes! Get yours now!"

Where are the CO detector police? Nobody's come to my house with a
badge demanding to see my CO detector.

You probably can't sell the house without proper CO detection
equipment in place, but I don't plan on selling any time soon... Who's
making me put in CO detectors?

Sprinklers
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/03/26/the-sprinkler-controversy-whatever-happened-to-states-rights/?icid=main|main|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletp op.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F03%2F26%2Fthe-sprinkler-controversy-whatever-happened-to-states-rights%2F
or:
http://tinyurl.com/yb7uc6o

Yup.... and when they shove THAT up our collective asses, guess how long it
will take before they mandate sprinklers be put in *pre-existing homes*???
With the yearly inspections, fines, fees, you name it. goodgawd.....

It's a-comin, sheeple, it's a-comin..... yearly inspections for EVERY
goddamm thing in yer house, including DIY repairs, innocuous modifications,
etc. With a photographic record of every goddamm visit......

Beyond Orwell.....

Not to mention mishaps with the sprinklers themselves.
Can you say, Water Damage, boyzngerlz???

Heh, and what to you wanna bet flood insurance won't cover it?
On top of it all, you'll have to buy a separate Sprinkler Malfunction
Insurance.....

Bend over, sheeple, bend over.....
--
EA

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
wrote the following:
[...]

I loved this tidbit, last paragraph:

The USFA continues with a perhaps persuasive statistic: "As the percent
of homes in America that were 'protected' with smoke alarms increased from
zero to more than 70%, the number of fire deaths in homes did not
significantly decrease."

Go figger. CO extrapyoolation, inyone?? Trader4?????

There was another counter-intuitive ditty from the netherlands, where taking
traffic lights OUT of a complicated intersection radically REDUCED
accidents.... !!!

Heh, as Orwell juggernauts along, it appears his success is gratuitous --
altho still likely inevitable.
--
EA

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 1:12*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

m...

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/03/26/the-sprinkler-controversy-wh...main|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com %2Fblog%2F2010%2F03%2F26%2Fthe-sprinkler-controversy...
[...]

I think it is you who is doing the bending over. You're the one that
apparently thinks big government and what's going on in Washington is
just peachy keen ala healthcare. You don't like Reagan, who stood
for the opposite. So, try making sure to take your medication and
try to stay focused.

police [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 26th 08 09:59 PM
police [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 7th 08 02:00 AM
police [email protected] UK diy 0 March 9th 08 06:44 PM
DIWANIYA - Gunmen killed two police officers and wounded another on Tuesday night in a drive-by shooting in the southern city of Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad, police said BGKM Woodworking 0 March 15th 07 08:31 AM
Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:46 AM