Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Really dumb electrical question.

I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I am running
in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of the
bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the
inside center point on the panel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 1:30*pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. ...
... have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the
inside center point on the panel?

Yes; I don't have any GFI breakers but none of the standard breakers
have any other locking provisions w/ them so wouldn't think they would,
either.

I'd turn off box main, take out ones on either side and see what gives...

--

It is a breaker the size of 4 thin ones and right at the bottom of the
panel. I took out a thing 15 amp above it and I still can't get it

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 10, 1:30 pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Just be sure that the breakers you install are newly made U.L. approved.
It's not unusual for stab loks to be stuck. Kill the power to the panel,
then stick a screwdriver slightly between that breaker and the one opposite
it's location, and pry it out. A little upward pressure and it should pop
out

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 1:54*pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 10, 1:30 pm, dpb wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Ditto that. I've pried them out with a screwdriver before myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I am running
in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of the
bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the
inside center point on the panel?

*I have this problem occasionally. I usually use my pliers and grab onto
the handle and give it a good yank. Push on the breaker(s) opposite the one
that you want to remove at the same time to prevent the bus bar from
flexing. I do this with the panel live, but you may want to kill the main
first.

I suggest two 20 amp circuits for the whirlpool tub. One for the pump and
one for the heater. The heater maintains the water temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 2:14*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I am running
in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of the
bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the
inside center point on the panel?

*I have this problem occasionally. *I usually use my pliers and grab onto
the handle and give it a good yank. *Push on the breaker(s) opposite the one
that you want to remove at the same time to prevent the bus bar from
flexing. *I do this with the panel live, but you may want to kill the main
first.

I suggest two 20 amp circuits for the whirlpool tub. *One for the pump and
one for the heater. *The heater maintains the water temperature.

Thanks - I got it, but it was a bear to get out. Since it was the size
of 4 thin stablocks, the teeth really grabbed. I actually had to slide
a small pry bar under it, Hold the opposite breaker down to minimize
flexing and wump it with a hammer! (main power off of course)

Hardly my recommended modus operandi...

My tub is only a 15 amp motor and circuit. I don't need a heater on
mine. I actually took a chainsaw to a larger 'stay filled' fiberglass
one I had here since it was too much trouble and put in a sauna
instead. This is my minimalist replacement. lol.

Thanks again folks.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I am running
in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of the
bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the
inside center point on the panel?

I don't know, but based on what I've read on the interwebs, you may want
to consider a panel replacement as a future project.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Really sorry but Nate is 100% right. But after my reading just now I
would not wait, I would replace it now.

I recalled some issues about FP a while back and it looks like the stab
loks is one of the involved ones: http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpe.htm

I was thinking change it out simply bec of breaker cost alone!
What are they up to now, for a single pole 15,20 A: $20?? $30???

What are double poles? $75??? EACH!
Not to mention that big box stores don't carry them.
--
EA

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 3:38*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

m...

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Bought a single 15 amp at Home Depot for 9$ Cdn the other day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 8:19*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:
I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I am running
in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of the
bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the
inside center point on the panel?

I don't know, but based on what I've read on the interwebs, you may want
to consider a panel replacement as a future project.

Yes, most folks report their Stab-Loc breakers falling out, not
sticking. Usually they go to remove one breaker and six others fall out.

Well - Once I am finished with the bathroom and the kitchen ceiling
and a few other items, I may take a look at what's involved in
swapping it out with another make. Doesn't look like rocket science if
one just takes a logical and mapped out approach to it. Or just sell
the place. lol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Really dumb reply: I thought all the FPE stablocks had been
replaced, by now. You do know that they are unsafe, the
breakers don't function properly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I
am running
in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of
the
bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the
panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the
outside from the
inside center point on the panel?

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 10, 8:28*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:19*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Nah, you can replace it. I just thought it was worth mentioning as
they at least anecdotally are about the worst breaker panels out
there, save for maybe Zinsco.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 9:51*am, N8N wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:28*pm, " wrote:

On Feb 10, 8:19*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Your point is well taken though - I was amazed at the amount of bad
press on these things. I had no idea. I guess probably a couple of
hundred bucks and a day to replace it all - oh I guess more since I'd
need all new breakers and GFI's too. The price just went up a whole
bunch..... Probably more like $500.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

When FPE was sold to Reliance, they found FPE had submitted fraudulent
test information to UL. UL was informed and de-listed much of the FPE
line. The problem interval was probably 1965-1980. The US Consumer
Product Safety Commission started an investigation, but it was soon
dropped - probably _not_ because there was no problem. Info from the
CPSC used to be at inspectapedia (probably still is).

The OP appears to be from Canada. I believe FPE is still sold in Canada.
The new stuff should be OK. Inspectapedia used to have some specific
info on Canadian FPE.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 11, 10:58*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 11, 9:51*am, N8N wrote:

On Feb 10, 8:28*pm, " wrote:

On Feb 10, 8:19*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Something like that. You'll need to have the power co. come out and
pull your meter for you as well, and likely you'll need a permit and
inspection before they'll hook it back up again.

Now the question is, "who makes the *best* new residential breaker
panel" and that's a question I can't answer, although (again
anecdotally) people seem to like Square-D QO. I haven't done much
research into this because my house came with a 200A Siemens/ITE panel
so I haven't had a need to worry about replacing it.

You'll likely need some AFCIs as well for the bedroom circuits

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 10:58*am, bud-- wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I believe the house is mid 60's so it is probably suspect. Why touch
the meter? Coming into my house I have a main switch that shuts the
power off to the dual 100 amp fuses in the box feeding the breaker
panel. Everything is dead from that box inwards.... That main fuse/
switch panel is after the meter....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 12:00*pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 11, 10:58*am, bud-- wrote:

Colbyt wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

switch panel is after the meter....- Hide quoted text -

As long as you can cut the power ahead of the box you're fine. Some
boxes with a built in main the only wway to cut power to the box is to
pull the meter. I've done it myself, no big deal. My power company
didn't give me any grief when I called them and said they needed to
swing by and put a new tag on it at their convinience. I suppose they
could have but I figured better to beg forgiveness that seek
permission. Plus I try to hang out and bs with the service guys when
they show up, get better treatment that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 11, 10:58 am, bud-- wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

In the US the rules say you need to have it inspected.

I have no intention of reporting you. If you know how to do it and do it
safely, go for it.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a Federal Pacific Stablock type panel in my home. I am running
in a new dedicated 115V circuit for my whirlpool as part of the
bathroom renovations. I have a 220v 20A GFI stcu in the panel being
unused. But for the life of me, I cannot get it out!

I have exactly the same set-up but 220/40 A. Hot tub Co claimed the no
power to their heater was the fault of the breaker. My electrician dropped
off a spare. The original popped free easily when I twisted it 'out' .

Put in the other, it wouldn t work either. It turned out to be a fault in
the Heater coil

AFAIK, it should just pop out if you lift towards the outside from the
inside center point on the panel?

Did on mine (both)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd turn off box main, take out ones on either side and see what
gives...

It is a breaker the size of 4 thin ones and right at the bottom of the
panel. I took out a thing 15 amp above it and I still can't get it
out. ...

I could/did remove the entire face plate of the panel, just leaving the
breakers in place. Perhaps its "hung" on the panel face. At any rate,
you'll get a better 'look' at it after you take it off.

Use normal safety measures

Posted to alt.home.repair

Really dumb reply: I thought all the FPE stablocks had been
replaced, by now. You do know that they are unsafe, the
breakers don't function properly.

The ones in Canada are still being sold/installed.
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...pa ign=901375

Up there (FPE) stablok system was acquired by Schneider. Some batch numbers
were recalled ..most not.
They are (redesigned?) and are being installed in large numbers in new homes
without any problems.

http://www.schneider-electric.ca/can..._range_id=7254

and

http://www.schneider-electric.ca/can..._range_id=7227

Dumb question? LBledsoe Woodturning 5 April 2nd 09 04:27 PM
dumb question - what's the purpose of electrical conduit below theplaster? tonyjeffs[_2_] UK diy 23 October 8th 08 08:52 PM
a relatively dumb question i'm sure... unclescrooge Woodworking 32 July 4th 08 02:41 PM
Dumb question? anthony Home Repair 14 April 5th 07 04:04 PM
Really dumb question about electrical wiring Neil Ralley Home Repair 8 August 24th 04 07:47 PM