Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dumb question?

Okay, here goes. I have a chair with castors at my computer desk. I
like the freedom of moving around while seated..the problem? I have
laminated wooden floors, that are starting to show 'wear' at the desk
for all the moving I do. I happened to pass by a Loews and saw that
they had castor protectors along with the typical protectors for other
chairs and furniture. I tried to ask one of the employees and its not
like the TV ads where they seem to show an expert in various
areas...not where I live. Anyhow, I can see where it may keep dust and
dirt off the castors, but ...now here is the dumb question...are you
ready?...Obviously, i can't see one moving around freely as I have
been able to do up to now. so what real purpose do they serve...Oh
yes, feel free to call me stupid

Posted to alt.home.repair

anthony wrote:
Okay, here goes. I have a chair with castors at my computer desk. I
like the freedom of moving around while seated..the problem? I have
laminated wooden floors, that are starting to show 'wear' at the desk
for all the moving I do. I happened to pass by a Loews and saw that
they had castor protectors along with the typical protectors for other
chairs and furniture. I tried to ask one of the employees and its not
like the TV ads where they seem to show an expert in various
areas...not where I live. Anyhow, I can see where it may keep dust and
dirt off the castors, but ...now here is the dumb question...are you
ready?...Obviously, i can't see one moving around freely as I have
been able to do up to now. so what real purpose do they serve...Oh
yes, feel free to call me stupid

Are you talking about the clear(ish) plastic mats for carpet, with the
plastic teeth on the bottom meant to dig into the carpet to keep the
mat from sliding? The teeth won't be good for wood-floor use.

--
Pork: It's the other white flag!
-- James Lileks
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 31 Mar 2007 11:01:58 -0700, "anthony" wrote:

Okay, here goes. I have a chair with castors at my computer desk. I
like the freedom of moving around while seated..the problem? I have
laminated wooden floors, that are starting to show 'wear' at the desk
for all the moving I do. I happened to pass by a Loews and saw that
they had castor protectors along with the typical protectors for other
chairs and furniture. I tried to ask one of the employees and its not
like the TV ads where they seem to show an expert in various
areas...not where I live.

I think the experts take March off. They spend the first two weeks at
the National Experts Conference in Las Vegas, and the second two weeks
in Hawaii or Peru.

Anyhow, I can see where it may keep dust and
dirt off the castors, but ...now here is the dumb question...are you
ready?...Obviously, i can't see one moving around freely as I have
been able to do up to now. so what real purpose do they serve...Oh
yes, feel free to call me stupid

By castor protectors, do you mean the little dishes that the castors
sit in? Those are designed to prevent things from rolling. The ones
with prongs are for use on carpets, to hold the dishes up and not
crush the carpet.

If it is your floor that is wearing, you might consider a plastic
sheet floor protector. Sold at stationery stores and stores like
Office Depot. For use under desk chairs. I have carpeting in my home
office that matches the rest of the house, so I tried to avoid moving
the chair much to not wear it out. After 20 years, I started to
notice some wear so I went looking. Couldn't decide the size or shape
at the first store, and the very next day found one in the dumpster
200 yards from my house.

It was fine. It does make rolling around a little bit more difficult,
becasue the parts with the little legs stay higher than the parts in
between. I don't think that is because it is old already, and anyhow,
since you don't have carpet, you should get one without little legs.

Mine has a tongue that goes between the legs of the desk to go under
the desk, but since my chair is too wide to go under the desk, and I
wouldn't bother even if it did fit, the tongue really serves no
purpose for me.

I wouldn't wait to find one in the trash. This is the only one I have
seen in 50 years. That's what makes it such a great coincidence.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I wouldn't wait to find one in the trash. This is the only one I have
seen in 50 years. That's what makes it such a great coincidence.

I'm waiting for someone to make tires for my chair .. got a tile floor
and I'm always in a rut )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

clifto wrote:
anthony wrote:
[...]

Isn't there a Bakelite type surface used over wood and tile to both
make the surface smooth and protect it? I seem to recall having seen
such a thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:55:31 GMT, Ken wrote:

clifto wrote:
anthony wrote:
[...]

Pretty sure they also make them without teeth. You raise a good
point. The OP should find out if those resist sliding too much,
although maybe if it slid some it wouldn't matter as to its location,
but maybe it would wear on the floor like the casters are now.

Isn't there a Bakelite type surface used over wood and tile to both
make the surface smooth and protect it? I seem to recall having seen
such a thing.

I think you mean Masonite, not Bakelite (the hard black or dark brown
plastic).

Yes they have those too, or they used to, and they're probably cheaper
even than the plastic/vinyl ones. I think that is their selling
point, that they're cheaper, and also that they were manufactured
first.

Many/most of the plastic ones have a tapered edge so that if you roll
off, you can roll back on pretty easily. And that might be a
consideration. Don't know if masonite do, or if maybe it would break
off if it had that.

Just a random selection on office 'floor protector' shipping .
http://www.ofconcepts.com/Wood_Chair_Mat_s/45.htm
A distinctive alternative to plastic mats that tend to deteriorate
with time and crawl across the room, our parquet wood floor protectors
complement any wood office setting. Beveled edges make a nice
transition to the floor surface, while shielding the edge of the
protector from bumps and dings. They measure 47.5" square or 47.5" x
52.25". Constructed of oak solids.

Sounds great but they are 200 dollars or more.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/hsh/302918912.html
floor protector for under your office chair - $10
Reply to:
Date: 2007-03-29, 9:25PM MST
I dont know what this thing is actually called but it's the clear,
thick plastic thing that goes under the office chair to protect the
floor and make the rolling chair able to roll. This one is the kind
without the spikes on the bottom so it is best to protect a wood or
tile floor. If you need it for carpet, this probably isn't for you cuz
it will slide.

Anyway- it's only been used for a few months and we just dont need it
anymore. These things cost $20-40 new.

We're on Brown and Gilbert.

So you pretty much have to be in Phoenix!

http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/...ith-tongue.htm

Also wood and 300 dollars!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:39:28 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

clipped

I wouldn't wait to find one in the trash. This is the only one I have
seen in 50 years. That's what makes it such a great coincidence.

I'm waiting for someone to make tires for my chair .. got a tile floor
and I'm always in a rut )

Try this link - with pictures.

ADULT SPECIAL NEEDS PEDAL TRICYCLE

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/302808728.html

--
Oren

"equal opportunity, not equal results"

Date: 2007-03-29, 9:25PM MST
I dont know what this thing is actually called but it's the clear,
thick plastic thing that goes under the office chair to protect the
floor and make the rolling chair able to roll. This one is the kind
without the spikes on the bottom so it is best to protect a wood or
tile floor. If you need it for carpet, this probably isn't for you cuz
it will slide.

Anyway- it's only been used for a few months and we just dont need it
anymore. These things cost $20-40 new.

We're on Brown and Gilbert.

So you pretty much have to be in Phoenix!

http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/...-mat-106_parqu...

Also wood and 300 dollars!

I found the clear plastic mat without teeth at Office Depot. They may
have it online also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hammacher Schlemmer has a bamboo chair mat for exactly this purpose -
protecting hardwood from chair castors.
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72065.asp?promo=xsells

I think they also sell it at Solutions and Amazon.com as well.

HTH,

Donna

"anthony" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, here goes. I have a chair with castors at my computer desk. I
like the freedom of moving around while seated..the problem? I have
laminated wooden floors, that are starting to show 'wear' at the desk
for all the moving I do. I happened to pass by a Loews and saw that
they had castor protectors along with the typical protectors for other
chairs and furniture. I tried to ask one of the employees and its not
like the TV ads where they seem to show an expert in various
areas...not where I live. Anyhow, I can see where it may keep dust and
dirt off the castors, but ...now here is the dumb question...are you
ready?...Obviously, i can't see one moving around freely as I have
been able to do up to now. so what real purpose do they serve...Oh
yes, feel free to call me stupid

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ones that look like little ash trays are for stationary
furniture like sofas. Spreads the weight, to keep from punching
holes in the floor, or pushing the carpet down.

Not for rolling chairs. For rolling chairs you need a plastic mat
to protect the floor.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"anthony" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 2:01 pm, "anthony" wrote:
Okay, here goes. I have a chair with castors at my computer desk. I
like the freedom of moving around while seated..the problem? I have
laminated wooden floors, that are starting to show 'wear' at the desk
for all the moving I do. I happened to pass by a Loews and saw that
they had castor protectors along with the typical protectors for other
chairs and furniture. I tried to ask one of the employees and its not
like the TV ads where they seem to show an expert in various
areas...not where I live. Anyhow, I can see where it may keep dust and
dirt off the castors, but ...now here is the dumb question...are you
ready?...Obviously, i can't see one moving around freely as I have
been able to do up to now. so what real purpose do they serve...Oh
yes, feel free to call me stupid

How 'bout popping the stock plastic casters out of the chair &
replacing them with some nice rubber wheels. quick & easy swap,
quieter rolling, no damage to floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 7:35 pm, "Tyler" wrote:
[...]

Are you referring to rubber caster wheels? If you are, I asked about
that at home depot and they said they do not have that in rubber
anymore. Maybe they stopped making them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"anthony" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 1, 7:35 pm, "Tyler" wrote:
On Mar 31, 2:01 pm, "anthony" wrote:

(snip)

Are you referring to rubber caster wheels? If you are, I asked about
that at home depot and they said they do not have that in rubber
anymore. Maybe they stopped making them?

Home Depot or any of the big-boxes probably won't have them- you will have
to go online, to an industrial supply, or to a commercial office furniture
place that actually carries repair parts. It won't be cheap. A plastic chair
glide pad will be lots cheaper. BTW, it is the grit caught on the casters
that causes the damage to the finish. Contact patch is only a couple of
square inches, so it grinds it right in there.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2007 2:58 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:39:28 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

clipped
I wouldn't wait to find one in the trash. This is the only one I have
seen in 50 years. That's what makes it such a great coincidence.

I'm waiting for someone to make tires for my chair .. got a tile floor
and I'm always in a rut )

Try this link - with pictures.

ADULT SPECIAL NEEDS PEDAL TRICYCLE

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/302808728.html

--
Oren

"equal opportunity, not equal results"

Hmmm...Amish welding shop? Kinda hard to get those results on a bellows
blown forge...or even hand cranked turbine blown. Or have they moved up
to electric arc?

I really have no idea but I thought they disdained such modern conveniences.

A quick Google finds:

Farm with horses, not with power machinery in the field.
No rubber tires on implements or buggies.
No unnecessary lights on buggies except what is for safety.
No bulk tanks or milkers.
No one shall operate cars or trucks.
No electrical generators except for welding. No lightning rods.
No sinks or colored tub in the bathroom.
The young people shall not run after pleasure places, have a radio

or TV, or watch movies. no wrist watches, bicycles, no drinking
or tobacco.

**Excerpted from Hostetler, John, ed. Amish Roots: a Treasury of
History, Wisdom and Lore. Baltimo Johns Hopkins UP, 1989.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but (rubber) tires came up.

Regards
--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.