Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default What's TSP ?

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jan 11, 5:03 pm, stuart noble wrote:
On 11/01/2012 16:48, Bob Minchin wrote:

Attila.Iskander wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news:5IidnbE0k9pTM5HSnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@earthlink. com...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?
Also sold under the name of 'sugar soap' for decorating purposes in UK
and possibly elsewhere.

Bob

AFAIK sugar soap no longer contains TSP.

"Greater than 10% SODIUM SESQUICARBONATE

Ecotoxicity = Not expected to be toxic to aquatic organisms. "

that's reassuring ;)

Jim K

Buy here (uk) ?
http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Buy here (uk) ?
http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Seems a suspiciously small product range for a chemical distributor ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 6:12 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:
Buy here (uk) ?
http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Seems a suspiciously small product range for a chemical distributor ...

mmm tho good to see they stock "Chemically Pure Megnesium Sulphate"
whatever that is.....

and "6 Endsleigh Park Road, Plymouth" appears somewhat residential
for a chemical distro.....

Jim K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:51:13 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 11, 10:12*am, "tom" wrote:
"N8N" wrote in message

On Jan 11, 9:51 am, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

om...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?
Unfortunately, a suitable replacement has yet to be found, so laundry
and washing dishes is more challenging these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Good idea, but read the fine print.

"Not Available To Members in Phosphate Restricted Areas"

Although, honestly, if you don't let your grey water go into the sewer
(e.g. you let it go to a cistern and use it for watering plants etc.)
I don't see the big deal.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

om...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?
Unfortunately, a suitable replacement has yet to be found, so laundry
and washing dishes is more challenging these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Good idea, but read the fine print.

"Not Available To Members in Phosphate Restricted Areas"

Although, honestly, if you don't let your grey water go into the sewer
(e.g. you let it go to a cistern and use it for watering plants etc.)
I don't see the big deal.

nate

I expect the postage would knacker any realistic chance...

Jim K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
m...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.

tsp.

tablespoon is tbsp.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

On Jan 11, 6:12 pm, Andy wrote:

ss wrote:

http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Seems a suspiciously small product range for a chemical distributor ...

mmm tho good to see they stock "Chemically Pure Megnesium Sulphate"
whatever that is.....
somewhat residential for a chemical distro.....

Yes, I'm sure it's just a little home sideline, but I did check their
list to see if they included ammonium nitrate, potassium chlorate and
various peroxides as a terrorist 'sting' site!
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 9:21 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Jan 11, 6:12 pm, Andy wrote:

ss wrote:

http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Seems a suspiciously small product range for a chemical distributor ...

mmm tho good to see they stock "Chemically Pure Megnesium Sulphate"
whatever that is.....
somewhat residential for a chemical distro.....

Yes, I'm sure it's just a little home sideline, but I did check their
list to see if they included ammonium nitrate, potassium chlorate and
various peroxides as a terrorist 'sting' site!

seem mainly to deal in Happy Mondays' "Bez style" mysterious white
powders......

Jim K
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 11:16 pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/11/2012 12:32 PM, Jim K wrote:

On Jan 11, 8:24 pm, wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:12 am, wrote:

wrote in message

On Jan 11, 9:51 am,
wrote:

wrote in message

news:5IidnbE0k9pTM5HSnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@earthlin k.com...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?
Unfortunately, a suitable replacement has yet to be found, so laundry
and washing dishes is more challenging these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Good idea, but read the fine print.

"Not Available To Members in Phosphate Restricted Areas"

Although, honestly, if you don't let your grey water go into the sewer
(e.g. you let it go to a cistern and use it for watering plants etc.)
I don't see the big deal.

nate

I expect the postage would knacker any realistic chance...

Jim K

HUH?!

and the origin of the OP is......................?

OK OK already here's 2 clues "K" "U"
;))

Jim K

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:32:46 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

om...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?
Unfortunately, a suitable replacement has yet to be found, so laundry
and washing dishes is more challenging these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Good idea, but read the fine print.

"Not Available To Members in Phosphate Restricted Areas"

Although, honestly, if you don't let your grey water go into the sewer
(e.g. you let it go to a cistern and use it for watering plants etc.)
I don't see the big deal.

nate

I expect the postage would knacker any realistic chance...

Jim K

If that is the case, just check your local hardware supply place. Home
Depot sells both the Red and Green boxes in the paint section.

SAVOGRAN brand:

Red box is real

Green box is a substitute (worthless)

What is "knacker"? Does it require the use of an accent?

Just curious....
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

ah the poetry ;)

"knacker verb" JFGI?

all the best y'all
Jim K
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
Buy here (uk) ?
http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Seems a suspiciously small product range for a chemical distributor

mmm tho good to see they stock "Chemically Pure Megnesium Sulphate"
whatever that is.....

Epsom Salts - for those whose feet cannot tolerate contaminants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
m...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.

No, tablespoon is tbsp., tbs., or T. Teaspoon is tsp. or t.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2012 06:15 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/11/2012 12:24 PM, N8N wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:12 am, wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 11, 9:51 am,
wrote:

wrote in message

m...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?
Unfortunately, a suitable replacement has yet to be found, so laundry
and washing dishes is more challenging these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Good idea, but read the fine print.

"Not Available To Members in Phosphate Restricted Areas"

Although, honestly, if you don't let your grey water go into the sewer
(e.g. you let it go to a cistern and use it for watering plants etc.)
I don't see the big deal.

nate

funny, it's not restricted when you go into home depot and pick it off
the shelf.

You must not live in a "phosphate restricted area" then. When I go to
HD it's not *on* the shelf, but they do sell "TSP substitute."

Now I definitely do live in a "phosphate restricted area" (Chesapeake
Bay watershed) but I don't know if that means that you can't buy TSP in
any form, or if it is only prohibited in household detergents. But in
any case, I don't see it on the shelves anymore.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought tablespoon is TBSP?

You mean teaspoon? Well, you were half right.... or something.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"joevan" wrote in message

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

So, you'd post em a couple pound, a quid or two. The blighter would off ye
to the constable, who would send a couple bobbies to bag you and stuff you
in a lorry. Off to the magistrate, who would put ye in for a pound, till yer
barmy, mate?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Yes, I'm sure it's just a little home sideline, but I did check their
list to see if they included ammonium nitrate, potassium chlorate
and various peroxides as a terrorist 'sting' site!

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
Buy here (uk) ?
http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Seems a suspiciously small product range for a chemical distributor

mmm tho good to see they stock "Chemically Pure Megnesium Sulphate"
whatever that is.....

Epsom Salts - for those whose feet cannot tolerate contaminants.

But the limey can't spell - it's mAgnesium suphate, not mEgnesium.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 8:47*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Iuse the tablets. *How would I go about adding TSP to the machine and
how much per dose?

Quit using the tablets; use powder.

Pour the contents of the box of diswashing powder in a large bowl, add
10-15% (by weight or volume) of TSP.

Mix well.

Return the mixture to the box.*

----
* Cut an "X" in the top of the box, pour from the bowl, via a funnel, back
into the box. Seal the "X" with duct tape.

Thanks guys - will be visiting a paint supply store tomorrow.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 6:23*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I thought tablespoon is TBSP?

You mean teaspoon? Well, you were half right.... or something.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"joevan" wrote in message

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.

But what is it in metrics?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

om...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?
Unfortunately, a suitable replacement has yet to be found, so laundry
and washing dishes is more challenging these days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Good idea, but read the fine print.

"Not Available To Members in Phosphate Restricted Areas"

Although, honestly, if you don't let your grey water go into the sewer
(e.g. you let it go to a cistern and use it for watering plants etc.)
I don't see the big deal.

nate- Hide quoted text -

Mine runs to the septic tank so it should make the little buggies grow
well

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

tom wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

That's for a pound @ $8

For $16 you can get 4.5 pounds:
http://www.amazon.com/SAVOGRAN-CO-10...ef=pd_sim_hg_1

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
Buy here (uk) ?
http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html

Seems a suspiciously small product range for a chemical distributor

mmm tho good to see they stock "Chemically Pure Megnesium Sulphate"
whatever that is.....

Epsom Salts - for those whose feet cannot tolerate contaminants.

But the limey can't spell - it's mAgnesium suphate, not mEgnesium.

hooray! a prize to the man in the cocked hat !!!!! ;)))

Jim K

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

On Jan 12, 3:45 am, wrote:

But the limey can't spell - it's mAgnesium suphate, not mEgnesium.

hooray! a prize to the man in the cocked hat !!!!! ;)))

At least it isn't sulfate :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Silly, it's a 7.075 ml spoon.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Harry K" wrote in message

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.

But what is it in metrics?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 9:20*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:13:02 -0800 (PST), Harry K

wrote:
I thought tablespoon is TBSP?

You mean teaspoon? Well, you were half right.... or something.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"joevan" wrote in message

. ..

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.

But what is it in metrics?

Harry K

14.786 764 781 cubic centimeter- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I always wondered.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

joevan wrote in
:

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news:5IidnbE0k9pTM5HSnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@earthlink. com...

Add TSP to the dishwashing powder.

What's TSP ?

Tablespoon.

no,that's teaspoon. TBSP is tablespoon.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

On 01/11/2012 06:15 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/11/2012 12:24 PM, N8N wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:12 am, wrote:
wrote in message

m... On Jan 11, 9:51 am,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._s00_i01_detai
ls

Good idea, but read the fine print.

"Not Available To Members in Phosphate Restricted Areas"

Although, honestly, if you don't let your grey water go into the
sewer (e.g. you let it go to a cistern and use it for watering
plants etc.) I don't see the big deal.

nate

funny, it's not restricted when you go into home depot and pick it
off the shelf.

You must not live in a "phosphate restricted area" then. When I go to
HD it's not *on* the shelf, but they do sell "TSP substitute."

Now I definitely do live in a "phosphate restricted area" (Chesapeake
Bay watershed) but I don't know if that means that you can't buy TSP
in any form, or if it is only prohibited in household detergents. But
in any case, I don't see it on the shelves anymore.

nate

I bought a box of Savogran TSP from HD here in the Orlando area. it was
inexpensive.

now the question is; *how much* do you put in the usual dishwasher load?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

I bought a box of Savogran TSP from HD here in the Orlando area. it
was inexpensive.

Note that "TSP" is a brand name. Make sure the TSP you bought is trisodium
phosphate and not common lye soap shavings.

now the question is; *how much* do you put in the usual dishwasher
load?

10-15% by weight or volume. This ratio is trivial to accomplish if you a)
Use diswashing powder, and b) Mix up the whole box (of dishwashing soap) at
once. See my earlier post on an easy way to do this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:48:53 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

I bought a box of Savogran TSP from HD here in the Orlando area. it was
inexpensive.

now the question is; *how much* do you put in the usual dishwasher load?

I plan to use a teaspoon - tossed into the DW bottom. The box has been
here for awhile now. Washer, maybe a dash more..

Start with less is my view.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought a box of Savogran TSP from HD here in the Orlando area. it was
inexpensive.

now the question is; *how much* do you put in the usual dishwasher load?

I plan to use a teaspoon - tossed into the DW bottom. The box has been
here for awhile now. Washer, maybe a dash more..

Start with less is my view.

you'll be better off with it in your second wash cup. Unless you're
mixing it and using it in both.

I've found I don't need to use it every load...maybe once every 10th
load at most. About 1 tsp in the second wash cup works well for me..your
mileage may vary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2012 10:48 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
Nate wrote in
:

On 01/11/2012 06:15 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/11/2012 12:24 PM, N8N wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:12 am, wrote:
wrote in message

m... On Jan 11, 9:51 am,
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

i put a cupful in the 80oz box. I think it works out to about a
teaspoon per load. Plus i throw in a cup of distilled white vinegar.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

now the question is; *how much* do you put in the usual dishwasher load?

It depends on the hardness of your water. You can start with a Tablespoon and
work up to 1/3 of the capacity of the dispenser. The rest is a good quality dry
dishwasher detergent.

If tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) doesn't perform for you, I'd suggest Sodium
Tripolyphosphate. It's related to TSP and is the actual chemical that was
removed from many detergents. Google for the differences between it and TSP.

I've bought it on eBay and directly from this guy:
http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemic...phosphate.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

I plan to use a teaspoon - tossed into the DW bottom.

That's not going to be the most effective way to use it. You want the TSP to mix
with the detergent - it's a booster (actually a binder), not a detergent by
itself. If you throw it directly in the bottom, it gets dissolved and flushed
out in the pre rinse cycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.domestic-appliance-repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 8:04*am, "tom" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

Trisodium Phosphate, useta be a common ingredient in detergents, and
also sold in powder form for paint-prep cleanup. Works really well.
Unfortunately, being a phosphate, it acts as a fertilizer when it gets
into waterways, so it is banned in many areas (like mine.)
Unfortunately, a suitable replacement has yet to be found, so laundry
and washing dishes is more challenging these days.

nate

Iuse the tablets. *How would I go about adding TSP to the machine and
how much per dose?

I put about half a teaspoon on the liquid dishwashing soap I use and it
makes a notable difference.

It works! Or at least the first dose made a big inroad in cleaning it
up. I'll run an 'empty' load tonight.

Thank's again to all of ya.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2012-01-12, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,

On 2012-01-12, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim K wrote:

On Jan 12, 3:45 am, wrote:

But the limey can't spell - it's mAgnesium suphate, not mEgnesium.

hooray! a prize to the man in the cocked hat !!!!! ;)))

At least it isn't sulfate :-)

That's the standard IUPAC spelling now. (

**** that.

Don't you mean "Phuck that"?

oh FPS.....;)

Jim K