Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The right thing to do

Greetings

This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.

My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She has 4
different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on an assignment
for a new family through a referral. She normally doesn't take any new
assignments on, because the families she sits for, treat her very well.

The family has 2 children, and the parents are both doctors. They also have
a pet dog. Within 1 hour, my daughter noticed the dog had one of her less
than a week old sneakers in it's mouth, ripped to shreds.

She paid for these with her money, they ran her $75. The parents refuse to
pay for her sneakers, saying she should be responsible for her sneakers.
She left her shoes at the door, because they have a very nice new home.

I say the people should have warned her about the dog being a chewer, and
should take responsibility for their pet.

Needless to say, she learned a lesson the hard way.

What do you say?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karen wrote:
[...]

Is this a puppy or a fullgrown dog? A pup I would expect to chew.
Sounds like fullgrown if it tears shoes to shreds. If it tore her
shoes, I would expect that it does damage to the owners' belongings,
too. Very odd that they did not warn her. There are several choices,
and you probably have them in mind: Isolate the dog or put her
belongings away when there to avoid future damage. The thought that
bothers me most is whether if the dog damages the owners' belongings
while your daughter is there, will they hold her responsible. I think
it would be a good idea to give notice and depart from their employ.
Since your daughter was considerate enough to leave her shoes at the
door, it is pretty trashy to avoid responsibility for damage their dog does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Karen wrote:
[...]

Write it off as an expensive (at her income level) life lesson, and
manage to always have a previous commitment if they want to hire her
again. (They probably won't, if they had words over the shoes already.)
Don't say a word to the people who referred her- she doesn't want a
reputation as a difficult-to-please sitter. And if she sits at any other
houses with puppies, put the shoes in the coat closet and close the
door. Can't blame the dog- that is how dogs investigate interesting new
smells. (Hmm- this is interesting. Wonder if it is food? 3 categories
for dogs- stuff that can be eaten, stuff that can be humped, and stuff
that needs marking.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:06:09 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Can't blame the dog- that is how dogs investigate interesting new
smells. (Hmm- this is interesting. Wonder if it is food? 3 categories
for dogs- stuff that can be eaten, stuff that can be humped, and stuff
that needs marking.)

4th category for dogs - stuff that can be dug up and eaten later.

My dog is in denial. He never says a word.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote in
:

[...]

They are total and complete jerks. It may hurt your girl financially (in
the short term), but she has to dump them. She should not accept shoddy
treatment. If she does, it will get worse, not better over time.

They are doctors, you say? Pity their patients.

We have a 12-year old daughter (nearly 13!). She no longer has a
babysitter, but over the course of the last 12 years we've been through
a number of babysitters from great to horrible. And through being in the
babysitter loop, we've also had our (in)direct experiences with some
very seriously wacko parents.

What we've learned is that wacko parents will not suddenly repair
themselves, but will remain wacko forever. And they'll whack the
babysitter in the process.

Babysitters can, and should, "fire" their worst customers. The wackos
are NOT looking out for her, but for themselves.

Frankly, such bad customer behavior baffles me. Babysitting is a service
industry. The quality of the service is completely dependent -- from
minute to minute -- on the mood and motivation of the babysitter. We
went out of our way to pay MORE than required. We'd round /up/ billable
care hours, give gifts on special occasions, take the little one back
early if we were home early, look after the babysitter's house when they
were on vacation, etc. All so as to ensure the best care we could get
from the provider of the moment. That some parents won't do that is
very, very puzzling.

What's more important? $75 for chewed-up shoes, or your child's care?
Think about the mind that would choose the former.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Is this a puppy or a fullgrown dog? A pup I would expect to chew. Sounds
like fullgrown if it tears shoes to shreds. If it tore her shoes, I
would expect that it does damage to the owners' belongings, too. Very
odd that they did not warn her. There are several choices, and you
probably have them in mind: Isolate the dog or put her belongings away
when there to avoid future damage. The thought that bothers me most is
whether if the dog damages the owners' belongings while your daughter is
there, will they hold her responsible. I think it would be a good idea
to give notice and depart from their employ. Since your daughter was
considerate enough to leave her shoes at the door, it is pretty trashy to
avoid responsibility for damage their dog does.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

It's a full grown dog. My daughter has over 250 hrs of voluntary service at
the local veterinarians as part of her requirements, and is planning on
becoming a vet. She asked her questions about their pet, if she should know
anything about it, aside from letting it out. One of the family's pet has
diabetes, and she has to give it a shot. Another family's pet has seizures,
so she likes to familiarize herself with all aspects of the pets, along
with any children's special needs.

She will not be going back to this family. She pretty much was doing it
because of the strong referral. The family has tried to coax her back, but
refuses to acknowledge any responsibility on their part. They seem to
believe it's a one-way street, and try to make her feel obligated to them
for child care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*I'd say that family just lost a very competent babysitter. Tell your
daughter to drop the account and chalk it up to experience. Let them get
someone else. If they ask she should tell them why. She should also warn
other babysitters of her experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
Write it off as an expensive (at her income level) life lesson, and
manage to always have a previous commitment if they want to hire her
again. (They probably won't, if they had words over the shoes already.)
Don't say a word to the people who referred her- she doesn't want a
reputation as a difficult-to-please sitter. And if she sits at any other
houses with puppies, put the shoes in the coat closet and close the door.
Can't blame the dog- that is how dogs investigate interesting new smells.
(Hmm- this is interesting. Wonder if it is food? 3 categories for dogs-
stuff that can be eaten, stuff that can be humped, and stuff that needs
marking.)

Hello.

Thanks for your input.

You're correct, you can't blame the dog, and she's not attempting to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Greetings
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She
has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on
an assignment for a new family through a referral. She normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not chat
about whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 7:53*pm, "Karen" wrote:
[...]

These two doctors have plenty of money and they should not think twice
about covering the
cost of the shoes, if they were decent people which obviously they are
not.
It is also their responsibly, like you said, to warn her of anything
unusual about the house.
Now if your daughter was told to be carefull because their dog likes
to chew things and she left
her shoes lying around then she would be responsible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Your daughter sounds like a responsible adult. Shame she had to encounter
people who want to shrug their responsibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
. 97.131...
Greetings
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She
has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on
an assignment for a new family through a referral. She normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not chat
about whatever.

Idiot! If you don't know what OT stands for, then don't read the thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote in
:

The family has tried to coax her
back,

No no no no. Venus flytrap. Vampire. Stay away.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 8:29*pm, Bert Byfield wrote:
Greetings
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She
has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on
an assignment for a new family through a referral. She normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not chat
about whatever.

Correct me if I am wrong but.
Your post is not about home repair either. Is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karen wrote:
wrote

[...]

When they call back really desperate, let them know she would be happy to help
them out, with payment up from for the damage and the service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
wrote

She will not be going back to this family. She pretty much was doing
it because of the strong referral. The family has tried to coax her
back, but refuses to acknowledge any responsibility on their part.
They seem to believe it's a one-way street, and try to make her feel
obligated to them for child care.

When they call back really desperate, let them know she would be happy to
help them out, with payment up from for the damage and the service.

Also double the old rate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karen wrote:
[...]

I'd say the next time i baby sit, the dog 'accidentally' drinks some
antifreeze and dark chocolate. Not my responsibility to watch what the
dog eats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Karen wrote:
[...]

My daughter used to baby sit as well. She is a doctor now.
Anyhow, that was 75.00 lesson and don't ever she baby sit their kids
or you become their patient. I don't like people like that.
When our kids grow up wife stayed home postponing her career advancement
in nursing. After kids were in Jr. high she went back to work. If they
are decent people damage should be paid for. If the dog chew one of
their shoes, they more likely would blame your daughter
for negligence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karen wrote:
wrote

[...]

Hmmm,
Wonder how good doctor they are being like that?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Karen wrote:
wrote

[...]

What? you gotta joking. She shouldn't even talk with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Karen wrote:
[...]

Do you have a dog like that? I don't. Our dog never does anything like
that. If he tries, our 3 cats will put a stop to him vice versa.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bert Byfield wrote in
. 97.131:

Greetings
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She
has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on
an assignment for a new family through a referral. She normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not chat
about whatever.

OT does not stand for On Topic. Just filter any subject starting with
capital OT. I could tell you how to do it since you use Xnews...but then
that would be Off Topic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote in
:

[...]

....with dog **** "accidents" all over the carpet. I wouldn't take my
shoes off. Unless it's a service dog, don't say there aren't **** spots.
If it were a service animal, it wouldn't eat shoes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting.
She has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She
took on an assignment for a new family through a referral. She
normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not
chat about whatever.

Idiot! If you don't know what OT stands for, then don't read the
thread.

Moron! Putting OT in the subject line does NOT excuse wasting space in
a topic group, any more than putting SPAM in the subject line makes
spamming a topic group!

Posted to alt.home.repair

casey wrote:
"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
. 97.131...
Greetings
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She
has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on
an assignment for a new family through a referral. She normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not chat
about whatever.

Idiot! If you don't know what OT stands for, then don't read the
thread.

Ummmm? If they don't know what OT stands for, why would they know to not read
the thread?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote in message

I say the people should have warned her about the dog being a chewer, and
should take responsibility for their pet.

Needless to say, she learned a lesson the hard way.

What do you say?

If the dog had badly bitten her would they be claiming it isn't their
problem? Their dog = their responsibility IMO. The question now becomes
whether or not she wants to keep working for them, because if she presses
them on it she's going to lose them as employers. If she decides to keep
working there she should keep her shoes on, and maybe get clarification from
the parents on what happens if the dog chews some of their property on her
watch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 6:53*pm, "Karen" wrote:
[...]

I'm even more scared about the Doctor's children, wonder how they will
turn out when they grow up with that kind of example to follow?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In . 97.131,
Bert Byfield spewed forth:
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting.
She has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She
took on an assignment for a new family through a referral. She
normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not
chat about whatever.

Idiot! If you don't know what OT stands for, then don't read the
thread.

Moron! Putting OT in the subject line does NOT excuse wasting space in
a topic group, any more than putting SPAM in the subject line makes
spamming a topic group!

but repling to said OT/Spam is *not* taking up space?
I think the servers can handle it just fine, you on the other hand seem to
be the waste

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote in message

wrote

She will not be going back to this family. She pretty much was doing it
because of the strong referral. The family has tried to coax her back, but
refuses to acknowledge any responsibility on their part. They seem to
believe it's a one-way street, and try to make her feel obligated to them
for child care.

Well she has the right to set her rates as she pleases. If they want her
back she should up her rate she charges to pay for a new pair of shoes.

Next question is what kind of sneakers are worth $75?

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2010 11:58 PM, Roger Shoaf wrote:
wrote in message

wrote

She will not be going back to this family. She pretty much was doing it
because of the strong referral. The family has tried to coax her back, but
refuses to acknowledge any responsibility on their part. They seem to
believe it's a one-way street, and try to make her feel obligated to them
for child care.

Well she has the right to set her rates as she pleases. If they want her
back she should up her rate she charges to pay for a new pair of shoes.

Next question is what kind of sneakers are worth $75?

For starters, most all name brands such as Nike are. Just point your
browser to http://tinyurl.com/ydxhh68 and take a look.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Two things happened. One, your daughter left her shoes where the dog could
get to them, and the dog got to them. I'd say it was half/half
responsibility.

Your daughter should thank them for the work, and not work there again.

A reasonable person would meet her at least half way on replacement. A
reasonable person would have warned her about the dog. A reasonable person
would have appreciated the fact that she was more concerned about watching
the kids and not her shoes. These people don't seem to be reasonable, and
next week it's just going to be something different.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
wrote

[...]

NO! Next week it will just be another drama.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen" wrote

Thanks for the response.

It's a full grown dog. My daughter has over 250 hrs of voluntary service
at the local veterinarians as part of her requirements, and is planning on
becoming a vet. She asked her questions about their pet, if she should
know anything about it, aside from letting it out. One of the family's pet
has diabetes, and she has to give it a shot. Another family's pet has
seizures, so she likes to familiarize herself with all aspects of the
pets, along with any children's special needs.

She will not be going back to this family. She pretty much was doing it
because of the strong referral. The family has tried to coax her back, but
refuses to acknowledge any responsibility on their part. They seem to
believe it's a one-way street, and try to make her feel obligated to them
for child care.

I think your daughter displayed more maturity and diplomacy than these
parents. You should be proud. Chalk it up and move on, but don't step in
front of THAT bus again.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote

Next question is what kind of sneakers are worth $75?

--
Roger Shoaf

Anything decent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
. 97.131...
Greetings
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She
has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on
an assignment for a new family through a referral. She normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not chat
about whatever.

Bert, opening an OT thread, and then complaining is like eating a steak and
sending back the empty plate to the chef with your complaint. OT means off
topic, by the way. New here, huh?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
. 97.131...
This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.
My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting.
She has 4 different families she baby-sits for regularly. She
took on an assignment for a new family through a referral. She
normally

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not
chat about whatever.

Idiot! If you don't know what OT stands for, then don't read the
thread.

Moron! Putting OT in the subject line does NOT excuse wasting space in
a topic group, any more than putting SPAM in the subject line makes
spamming a topic group!

And plonking solves the whole thing. Good bye, Burt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 6:53 pm, "Karen" wrote:
[...]

In my life, I have quit employers and told them that they do not meet my
standards as employers. It goes both ways, you know.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
wrote

[...]

I'm sure tou're right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Karen wrote:
wrote

[...]

I think not. She should take her lumps and move on.

The $75 is pretty cheap to learn that there are lots of jerks in the world.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

did I do a Bad Thing? Nate Nagel Home Repair 23 May 4th 09 11:41 PM
New thing Axe Woodworking 3 January 11th 07 02:32 PM
Jet doing the right thing Geo Woodworking 3 September 11th 06 04:08 AM
is there such a thing? Jim M Home Repair 5 January 31st 05 12:32 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM