Jim M

Default is there such a thing?

Hello there,

I am from Canada and I have summertime toys that I have put away for
the winter months. My problems are for maintaining battery
charge..........I have on a very heavily built shelf 3 deep cycle 12 volt
batteries out of my Boat and Rv trailer. Two regular 12 volt batteries out
of my Corvette and Boat motor starter battery....smaller 12 volt garden
tractor battery and also smaller12 volt battery out of my ATV quad...amongst
a few others that are out of other summer toys.

Do they make such a thing that I can wire the whole works up ...plug in
for the winter and walk away til spring?

thanks for any replies....Jim

m Ransley

Im sure there is , Google battery maintainer , also alt. energy
homepower is a group that can direct you.

Tony Hwang

Jim M wrote:
Hello there,

I am from Canada and I have summertime toys that I have put away for
the winter months. My problems are for maintaining battery
charge..........I have on a very heavily built shelf 3 deep cycle 12 volt
batteries out of my Boat and Rv trailer. Two regular 12 volt batteries out
of my Corvette and Boat motor starter battery....smaller 12 volt garden
tractor battery and also smaller12 volt battery out of my ATV quad...amongst
a few others that are out of other summer toys.

Do they make such a thing that I can wire the whole works up ...plug in
for the winter and walk away til spring?

thanks for any replies....Jim

Hi,
Fully charged battery will last winter without problem. If you really
want to trickle charge them, I'd think solar panel based one.
I used to have RV and just charged the batteries full before I store
them in my garage during winter months. Never had problems.
Tony
Calgary
Pop

Just a short caveat: Should you try to design this yourself, be
very careful. Every battery must be isolated so one battery can
never supply power into another one. Usually it's nothing more
than diodes, but the protection must be there. Equally charged
batteries are not equal in voltage and some big currents can flow
if they aren't properly isolated.
I usually just go around and charge each one, one at a time,
about mid-winter. That way I also get a hint, if one's not
holding a charge, ahead of time. As someone said, they should
last that long OK except for the smaller lawn tractor type
batteries, without being charged, unless they're in sub zero
temps.
I'm not sure either, but I'd check to be sure deep charge
batteries are OK to trickel charge; SOME battery I had couldn't
be trickle charged, and the boat batteries are all I can think it
would hve been, but not sure.

Pop

Jim M wrote:
Hello there,

I am from Canada and I have summertime toys that I have
put away
for the winter months. My problems are for maintaining battery
charge..........I have on a very heavily built shelf 3 deep
cycle 12 volt batteries out of my Boat and Rv trailer. Two
regular 12 volt
batteries out of my Corvette and Boat motor starter
battery....smaller 12 volt garden tractor battery and also
smaller12
volt battery out of my ATV quad...amongst a few others that are
out
of other summer toys.
Do they make such a thing that I can wire the whole works
up
...plug in for the winter and walk away til spring?

thanks for any replies....Jim

Ross Mac

"Jim M" jim wrote in message ...
Hello there,

I am from Canada and I have summertime toys that I have put away for
the winter months. My problems are for maintaining battery
charge..........I have on a very heavily built shelf 3 deep cycle 12 volt
batteries out of my Boat and Rv trailer. Two regular 12 volt batteries out
of my Corvette and Boat motor starter battery....smaller 12 volt garden
tractor battery and also smaller12 volt battery out of my ATV
quad...amongst a few others that are out of other summer toys.

Do they make such a thing that I can wire the whole works up ...plug
in for the winter and walk away til spring?

thanks for any replies....Jim

The key as another poster recommended is charging the batteries with
isolation diodes. You cannot use just any diode because it will drop a half
volt or so and never charge the batteries properly...here are a couple of
links to help you out.....and best of luck on your project...Ross
http://www.surepower.com/Products/batiso.asp
http://www.hellroaring.com/nodiode.htm

MUADIB®

http://search.ebay.com/Solar-battery...opZ1 QQfsooZ1

Sorry about the long link, but If you search eBay using
"Solar battery Volkswagen"
this is what you get, a solar panel for really cheap, that will
maintain a battery...............with sunlight of course. purchase on
for each 12v unit and maybe do some mods for a smaller voltage
setup..........what a deal!

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html