Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The right thing to do

This is a sensible group on Usenet, so I thought I'd ask here.

My daughter is paying her way through college by babysitting. She has 4
different families she baby-sits for regularly. She took on an assignment
for a new family through a referral. She normally doesn't take any new
assignments on, because the families she sits for, treat her very well.

The family has 2 children, and the parents are both doctors. They also
have a pet dog. Within 1 hour, my daughter noticed the dog had one of her
less than a week old sneakers in it's mouth, ripped to shreds.

She paid for these with her money, they ran her $75. The parents refuse to
pay for her sneakers, saying she should be responsible for her sneakers.
She left her shoes at the door, because they have a very nice new home.

I say the people should have warned her about the dog being a chewer, and
should take responsibility for their pet.

Needless to say, she learned a lesson the hard way.

What do you say?

*I'd say that family just lost a very competent babysitter. Tell your
daughter to drop the account and chalk it up to experience. Let them get
someone else. If they ask she should tell them why. She should also warn
other babysitters of her experience.