Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NEC for dummies

Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I have
a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for residential
wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I have
a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for residential
wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Have you looked at the NEC Handbook?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I have
a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for residential
wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I have
a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for residential
wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Affirmative Action proof readers strike again.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I
have a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for
residential wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Affirmative Action proof readers strike again.

Why do you assume a racial component in this? Your bigotry is becoming
tiresome.

Uh, why do you assume "affirmative action" referred to has anything to do
with race?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

The McGraw Hill 2008 NEC Handbook is not expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hill-Na...3229808&sr=8-1
or:
http://tinyurl.com/yfsdlrt

The above is not *the* NEC Handbook which is this...
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?pid=70hb08

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

The McGraw Hill 2008 NEC Handbook is not expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hill-Na...3229808&sr=8-1
or:
http://tinyurl.com/yfsdlrt

The above is not *the* NEC Handbook which is this...
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?pid=70hb08

I didn't say it was the 'official' NFPA NEC handbook
I said it was the 'McGraw-Hill' 2008 NEC Handbook.
But it is a handbook based on the National Electrical Code, never the less.
The OP is not an electrician and just wants to do some residential
electrical wiring to meet code.
Why spend 3x more for a professional electrician's bible?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 11:16*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. *I
have a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for
residential wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Affirmative Action proof readers strike again.

Why do you assume a racial component in this? Your bigotry is becoming
tiresome.

Uh, why do you assume "affirmative action" referred to has anything to do
with race?- Hide quoted text -

Maybe because ""affirmative action" is defined as having to do with
race (and gender).

http://www.google.com/search?&q=defi...ative%20action
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Bill wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

The McGraw Hill 2008 NEC Handbook is not expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hill-Na...3229808&sr=8-1

or:
http://tinyurl.com/yfsdlrt

The above is not *the* NEC Handbook which is this...
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?pid=70hb08

I didn't say it was the 'official' NFPA NEC handbook
I said it was the 'McGraw-Hill' 2008 NEC Handbook.
But it is a handbook based on the National Electrical Code, never the less.
The OP is not an electrician and just wants to do some residential
electrical wiring to meet code.
Why spend 3x more for a professional electrician's bible?

I would say they are both "the NEC Handbook"

For an amateur I think both have problems
- They are organized around the NEC. If you are installing a receptacle
you need information from multiple code sections (grounding, box fill,
branch circuits, receptacles, Romex, ...) An amateur does not know what
sections are relevant.
- When reading the NEC the text can often refer to other sections which
you then have to understand.
- The NEC covers the broad range of installations. If you are just
working on a house most of it is irrelevant. (There is a residential
version of the NEC.)

I would suggest finding a book that aimed at amateurs and is partly
oriented around jobs (installing a receptacle) but has the scope that is
required to understand the rules (where is AFCI and GFCI protection
required). I don't have any titles. You won't become competent overnight.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote the following:
willshak wrote:
Bill wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

Well, he did ask if there was an "NEC for Dummies" book :-)
Is there one?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 1:05*pm, bud-- wrote:
willshak wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hill-Na...andbook-Mcgraw....

[...]

Exactly. I don't need a book that tells me the black wire belongs on
the gold screw, I grew up in Western PA where everybody knows Black &
Gold go together.

I need one that tells me:
Which circuits need to be AFCI
That an outlet in an unfinished basement can be non-GFCI if it is
dedicated to a refrigerator or freezer
Garages don't need AFCI
If a circuit is strictly lighting does it need AFCI
etc.

My last experience with town building inspectors found them less than
helpful. They were only willing to pass/fail my plans for structure
repair. I read from others on this forum that inspectors can be
helpful but not in my town. I get that they expect you to know what
you are doing and don't want to spend their time drawing deck plans
but they wouldn't even answer straightforward questions about what
kind of sill plate hold downs they wanted. I just had to keep
resubmitting until I picked the right product.

It leads to people saying "forget it" and doing work without a
permit. Then you could end up with an unsafe structure that might
even endanger neighbors (bad plumbing or fire hazards).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 1:17*pm, wrote:

NFPA also sells a 1&2 family book that is more specific to dwellings.
It is a lot less cumbersome for people who are not wiring a commercial
installation..

Are you referring to this book?
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?pid=gdrwire08

The pocket guide is a lot cheaper and may have the info I need.
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?pid=PGNECRES08

As I'm typing I am wodering if the library would carry these books...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote the following:
On Jan 11, 1:05 pm, bud-- wrote:

willshak wrote:

Bill wrote the following:

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

In my area, there are building inspectors and then there are electrical
inspectors.
The building inspector is only concerned with the structure and some
fire codes (fire rated door to garage, fire rated door on laundry chute
between floors, etc.). When the electrics are installed, the electrical
inspector makes sure all is in compliance with code and issues a
Certificate of Occupancy.

I read from others on this forum that inspectors can be
helpful but not in my town. I get that they expect you to know what
you are doing and don't want to spend their time drawing deck plans
but they wouldn't even answer straightforward questions about what
kind of sill plate hold downs they wanted. I just had to keep
resubmitting until I picked the right product.

It leads to people saying "forget it" and doing work without a
permit. Then you could end up with an unsafe structure that might
even endanger neighbors (bad plumbing or fire hazards).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I
have a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for
residential wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Affirmative Action proof readers strike again.

Why do you assume a racial component in this? Your bigotry is becoming
tiresome.

Uh, why do you assume "affirmative action" referred to has anything to do
with race?

Perhaps by its definition? Ya think?

Furthermore, this particular poster (Doofus) has a history of making racial
remarks in this group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 11, 11:16 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I
have a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for
residential wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Affirmative Action proof readers strike again.

Why do you assume a racial component in this? Your bigotry is
becoming tiresome.

Uh, why do you assume "affirmative action" referred to has anything
to do with race?- Hide quoted text -

Maybe because ""affirmative action" is defined as having to do with
race (and gender).

http://www.google.com/search?&q=defi...ative%20action

Actually, it could refer to almost anything, that's why I was asking.

"The term affirmative action refers to policies that take race, ethnicity,
physical disabilities, military career, sex, or a person's parents' social
class into consideration in an attempt to promote equal opportunity or
increase ethnic or other forms of diversity."

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 11, 11:16 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Limp Arbor wrote:

[...]

Somehow, talent, education, and experience, is missing from that policy.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 2:57*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. *I
have a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for
residential wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.

Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Affirmative Action proof readers strike again.

Why do you assume a racial component in this? Your bigotry is becoming
tiresome.

Uh, why do you assume "affirmative action" referred to has anything to do
with race?

Perhaps by its definition? Ya think?

Furthermore, this particular poster (Doofus) has a history of making racial
remarks in this group.- Hide quoted text -

How do you get a job as an "Affirmative Action proof reader"?

What's the pay scale?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
On Jan 11, 2:57 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Limp Arbor wrote:

[...]

Same as a more intelligent, experienced worker.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

Actually, it could refer to almost anything, that's why I was asking.

"The term affirmative action refers to policies that take race,
ethnicity, physical disabilities, military career, sex, or a
person's parents' social class into consideration in an attempt to
promote equal opportunity or increase ethnic or other forms of
diversity."

Somehow, talent, education, and experience, is missing from that
policy.

Well, yeah. Those go to ability, merit, talent; all qualities of elitism
which is what affirmative action is meant to overcome.

Here's a simple question illustrating the pervasiveness of affirmative
action: What percentage of the population of London is African-American?
(answer below)

Virtually zero. Blacks in London would be called (by Americans)
"African-Anglos." The British have a word for blacks, but I don't know what
it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

How do you get a job as an "Affirmative Action proof reader"?

What's the pay scale?

Are fluent in Ebonics?

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
bud-- wrote the following:
willshak wrote:
Bill wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

I borrowed an older version of this book

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Wir...3253744&sr=8-1

when I bought my house and I found it helpful. However, make sure you
are referencing the correct code against which you will be inspected
(likely either 2005 or 2008.) I never bought a more recent copy now
that the NEC is online. Might also want to see if your library has a copy.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

Actually, it could refer to almost anything, that's why I was asking.

"The term affirmative action refers to policies that take race,
ethnicity, physical disabilities, military career, sex, or a
person's parents' social class into consideration in an attempt to
promote equal opportunity or increase ethnic or other forms of
diversity."

Somehow, talent, education, and experience, is missing from that
policy.

Well, yeah. Those go to ability, merit, talent; all qualities of elitism
which is what affirmative action is meant to overcome.

Yeah, overcome ability, merit, talent, experience, and expertise.
Who would you like to have perform heart surgery on you:
A black surgeon who attained his degree under the same conditions as a
white doctor, or one who got his degree because of affirmative action?

Here's a simple question illustrating the pervasiveness of affirmative
action: What percentage of the population of London is African-American?
(answer below)

Virtually zero. Blacks in London would be called (by Americans)
"African-Anglos." The British have a word for blacks, but I don't know what
it is.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

Actually, it could refer to almost anything, that's why I was asking.

"The term affirmative action refers to policies that take race,
ethnicity, physical disabilities, military career, sex, or a
person's parents' social class into consideration in an attempt to
promote equal opportunity or increase ethnic or other forms of
diversity."

Somehow, talent, education, and experience, is missing from that
policy.

Well, yeah. Those go to ability, merit, talent; all qualities of
elitism which is what affirmative action is meant to overcome.

Yeah, overcome ability, merit, talent, experience, and expertise.
Who would you like to have perform heart surgery on you:
A black surgeon who attained his degree under the same conditions as a
white doctor, or one who got his degree because of affirmative action?

While I agree that affirmative action, especially when race-based, sucks
ass (I might even lean left far enough to admit for economically based
AA) I seriously doubt that any medical school will grant a degree to an
unqualified person. AA just gets you admitted, you still have to prove
that you can do the work.

Of course, if *I* am having major surgery, I don't want just
"qualified," I want the freaking Rembrandt of surgeons...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote the following:
willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

[...]

Then you just missed Dr. Fletcher Johnson, a cardiologist at Nyack
Hospital (NY), a 6'5" black man whose hands were too big to get both in
a chest cavity, so he practiced tying sutures with the fingers on one
hand. Sadly, he died..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Any book recomendations for the current electrical code in NJ. I have
a lot of electrical work to do and need a reference for residential
wiring.

I need something in between the typical picture books sold at the
Borgs and a book with 3 phase power tables.
Here's a list of books that can be had what you call "cheap."

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

Affirmative Action proof readers strike again.

Why do you assume a racial component in this? Your bigotry is becoming
tiresome.

Who said anything about race? What a maroon. I doubt you can define
racism. You assume that all dumb asses are persons of color, you're
the bigot.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 11, 11:16 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

When I went through a course to get my broadcast engineering license
over 30 years ago, there was one female in the class. She knew nothing
about electronics and had no practical experience in the field at all.
Me and the other guys had been working in the field of electronics for
some years and took the course so we could breeze through the FCC exam.
The gal in the class learned the answers by rote and passed the test
therefore getting herself a first class ticket from The FCC. She was
immediately hired by a radio station because she was female, a WHITE
female. Those of you who think Affirmative Action applies only to Negro
Americans are the real bigots. Like one of my darker cousins once
remarked: "Hell, dey be stupid white folks too." This Affirmative Action
diversity male bovine droppings nonsense reminds me of the handicap
parking spaces at the front door of the ladder supply house. We had a
blind judge in the county court system who was atrocious, he was a total
idiot who would often fall asleep during court. He was WHITE! I don't
think his stellar performance in the legal field is what got him his
appointment as a judge.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

That an outlet in an unfinished basement can be non-GFCI if it is
dedicated to a refrigerator or freezer

Not in 2008, all exceptions are gone but a burglar alarm.

A freezer is part of my burglar alarm :-)

[snip]