Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default NEC for dummies

Nate Nagel wrote the following:
willshak wrote:
HeyBub wrote the following:
willshak wrote:

Actually, it could refer to almost anything, that's why I was asking.

"The term affirmative action refers to policies that take race,
ethnicity, physical disabilities, military career, sex, or a
person's parents' social class into consideration in an attempt to
promote equal opportunity or increase ethnic or other forms of
diversity."

Somehow, talent, education, and experience, is missing from that
policy.

Well, yeah. Those go to ability, merit, talent; all qualities of
elitism which is what affirmative action is meant to overcome.

Yeah, overcome ability, merit, talent, experience, and expertise.
Who would you like to have perform heart surgery on you:
A black surgeon who attained his degree under the same conditions as
a white doctor, or one who got his degree because of affirmative action?

While I agree that affirmative action, especially when race-based,
sucks ass (I might even lean left far enough to admit for economically
based AA) I seriously doubt that any medical school will grant a
degree to an unqualified person. AA just gets you admitted, you still
have to prove that you can do the work.

Of course, if *I* am having major surgery, I don't want just
"qualified," I want the freaking Rembrandt of surgeons...

nate

Then you just missed Dr. Fletcher Johnson, a cardiologist at Nyack
Hospital (NY), a 6'5" black man whose hands were too big to get both in
a chest cavity, so he practiced tying sutures with the fingers on one
hand. Sadly, he died..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY