Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dremel Bit Questions

I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served me well
through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with various blades and
accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used the bit that is shown in the
pictures below. What is this bit called? Note that the cutters are on the end as
well as on the sides. Is it an end cutter, or an end mill? Where can I buy more?

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture018.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:00:34 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served me well
through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with various blades and
accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used the bit that is shown in the
pictures below. What is this bit called? Note that the cutters are on the end as
well as on the sides. Is it an end cutter, or an end mill?

Probably one of these-
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...peed+ Cutters

Where can I buy more?

Any hardware store? amazon? Home Depot? Lowes? . . . . . I bought a
giant set one day at Harbor Freight- 100 pieces for $20 or so. Worth
the $20.

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

I've got a 1/8th and a 1/16. And a gadget that reduces the collet
to 1/16 so I can use those bits on the 1/8. [and I see they have
1/32 & 3/32 collets]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2009 11:00 AM mcp6453 spake thus:

I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served
me well through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with
various blades and accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used
the bit that is shown in the pictures below. What is this bit called?
Note that the cutters are on the end as well as on the sides. Is it
an end cutter, or an end mill?

It's an end mill and only meant to cut on the end, not the sides (not
the same as a router bit).

Where can I buy more?

Lots of places; a good local hardware store, if you're lucky enough to
live near one, or online at various vendors, like
http://www.hobbyplace.com/tools/drebits.php (use the usual search
engines to find more).

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

Yep.

You can also get lots of Dremel stuff on eBay, including new Mototools,
in case you ever want to upgrade to the newer-fangled variable-speed
ones (like the trusty model 395).

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Great, thanks. Things are easy to find when you know what to call them and where
to look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served me
well through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with various
blades and accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used the bit that
is shown in the pictures below. What is this bit called? Note that the
cutters are on the end as well as on the sides. Is it an end cutter, or an
end mill? Where can I buy more?

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture018.jpg

Looks like an end mill burr.

Google, or look at Buckeye Carbide bits. Free catalog. Spendy, but top
quality capable of doing stainless steel.

The chuck on a Dremel determines what size shaft you an use. There are
adapters. I have a Foredom, which I like a lot more, yet at times, I like
the little pencil style of the Dremel, and its lightness, and the drive
cable not pulling your hand back. I have adapters for three different shaft
diameters. Look at yours and see what you have. You may be able to get the
collets for different diameters.

Shop around for bits. Once in a while, you might find some at yard sales,
or on ebay for decent prices. I got about fifty of them for a dime apiece
at a thrift shop. They were stone, and exactly the size I needed for
sharpening my chain saw. I got a huge set from Buckeye Carbide at a trade
show, but those were a little spendy, in the $150 range, but for about 80
various bits. I think retail was about $400.

For a lot of things, the cutters and polishers don't make much difference
from the manufacturers. A lot are made out of sandpaper or shaped grit, and
wear out fast. Like the little cutting wheels. I really don't think that
the spendy ones last much longer than the really cheapo sets. But for the
carbide burrs, there is a big difference on durability.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote in
:

I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served
me well through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with
various blades and accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used
the bit that is shown in the pictures below. What is this bit called?
Note that the cutters are on the end as well as on the sides. Is it an
end cutter, or an end mill? Where can I buy more?

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture018.jpg

If it's a Dremel bit, they etch (or used to) the bit number in the shank
like a drill bit. You'll need a magnifying glass...well I do anyway...one
with the supermagnify dot area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served me
well through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with various
blades and accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used the bit that
is shown in the pictures below. What is this bit called? Note that the
cutters are on the end as well as on the sides. Is it an end cutter, or an
end mill? Where can I buy more?

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture018.jpg

Check out
http://www.widgetsupply.com/ Some dremels, some knockoffs

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in
:

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served
me well through the years.

take good care of it,they don't make them with that quality anymore.

The one that I have came in a kit with
various blades and accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used
the bit that is shown in the pictures below.

It looks like you ABUSED it.Looks very dull.
They're only HSS bits,for wood and soft metals like aluminum.

What is this bit called?
Note that the cutters are on the end as well as on the sides. Is it an
end cutter, or an end mill? Where can I buy more?

Home Depot,Lowes,Ace Hardware,Wal-Mart has -some- Dremel stuff.

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

1/8" is the largest Dremel collet,and you can get a 3/32" collet,some other
hand grinders and dental tools use that size.
IIRC,the Black and Decker accessory bit kits are 3/32".

I've got a Dremel Model 270,the last single speed one they made.
I made my own speed controller with a incandescent lamp dimmer,a duplex
outlet,junction box and a power cord.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture018.jpg

Check out
http://www.widgetsupply.com/ Some dremels, some knockoffs

Charlie

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Dremel/HB Bill Woodworking 45 November 29th 09 03:10 AM
New Dremel Terry Cano Home Repair 10 January 20th 09 12:54 PM
Not one for the Dremel Andy Hall UK diy 17 December 7th 07 05:44 PM
Dremel Tool Questions Bill Ray Woodworking 43 August 21st 07 04:34 PM
Dremel CNC? Swingman Woodworking 4 July 8th 06 05:26 PM