Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default Dremel Bit Questions

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served me
well through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with various
blades and accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used the bit that
is shown in the pictures below. What is this bit called? Note that the
cutters are on the end as well as on the sides. Is it an end cutter, or an
end mill? Where can I buy more?

Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture017.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture018.jpg

Looks like an end mill burr.

Google, or look at Buckeye Carbide bits. Free catalog. Spendy, but top
quality capable of doing stainless steel.

The chuck on a Dremel determines what size shaft you an use. There are
adapters. I have a Foredom, which I like a lot more, yet at times, I like
the little pencil style of the Dremel, and its lightness, and the drive
cable not pulling your hand back. I have adapters for three different shaft
diameters. Look at yours and see what you have. You may be able to get the
collets for different diameters.

Shop around for bits. Once in a while, you might find some at yard sales,
or on ebay for decent prices. I got about fifty of them for a dime apiece
at a thrift shop. They were stone, and exactly the size I needed for
sharpening my chain saw. I got a huge set from Buckeye Carbide at a trade
show, but those were a little spendy, in the $150 range, but for about 80
various bits. I think retail was about $400.

For a lot of things, the cutters and polishers don't make much difference
from the manufacturers. A lot are made out of sandpaper or shaped grit, and
wear out fast. Like the little cutting wheels. I really don't think that
the spendy ones last much longer than the really cheapo sets. But for the
carbide burrs, there is a big difference on durability.