Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dremel Tool Questions

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

You are a caveman. There are m/c accessories that I think are needed and
come in some units' kits: a flex shaft, a 90-degree right angle attachment,
an possibly a mini saw (yup a 1-3/4" skil saw!). Then there are things that
would be really good: a bench stand, contour and detail sanding attachments,
tile and grout attachment?, etc. I pick a "dremel" first anytime I need a
small drill bit (incl. pilot holes), there are 3 std. collet sizes, with
matching drill bits. You will also want an accessory kit for renewable, I
have had five. For me, I want grinding cut-off wheels. The large(r),
thick(er), fiber -reinforced are much better, lasting much longer. Breezes
through screws. So many uses, not to mention an indispensable tool.
Sanding is a blast, goes right through a 2x4" with the wheels.

This is an easy link to just read some accessories, they're always on sale,
and the whole set is only 1x or 2x what one accessory costs.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/su...=1186162342616

"Bill Ray" wrote in message
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Ray wrote:
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool.

I hardly ever use mine anymore. I used to use it for coping, with a
round rasp bit. For that use the cordless version wouldn't run very
long. I picked up a Collins Coping Foot a while back, which made te
Moto-Tool obsolete.

My cutoff and hand grinding tasks are done with an 18v angle grinder,
with most small cuts just as easily done with a decent Hacksaw and file.
I've never found the Dremel all that useful for sanding, drilling, or
routing, as I have better tools for those tasks.

Wanna' buy mine?

I can take some pictures, and you can make an offer. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill Ray" wrote in message
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

The Dremel tool does not become obsolete like many other brands. I bought a
corded model in the Spring of 1981 for a specific task. I still have it use
it occasionally. For Christmas my son bought me a Dremel accessory kit that
includes a circle cutting jig that threads on to the Dremel. I had no idea
that the end of my 26 year old Dremel would screw off so that the tool would
perfectly fit on to the circle cutting attachment.
26 years later new Dremel attachments fit the old tools.
I would say to go with the corded model as the battery will certainly expire
sooner than later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Ray wrote:
I think I'll pass, but thanks for the info and the offer.

Even though you don't want mine, I'd suggest getting a good trial on the
cordless before buying if you think you'll use it a lot. I can't
imagine Dremel has the same quality of battery as a modern DeWalt,
Makita, etc..., based on the price of the tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Ray wrote:
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

I have the corded version, my buddy has the cordless. Cordless is nice
of course, but the corded one has a lot more power. Plus, you don't have
to worry about charging the battery, or the battery deteriorating.
Buy the corded one. If you like it, you can always get the cordless later.

Get one of those big accessory kits. They're cheap, and really helps
with the principle "a solution looking for a problem". Harbor Freight
has them all the time.

A Dremel is quite versatile. I don't use mine all that often, but when I
need it, I'm glad I have it. Sharpening, cutting, sanding, shaping, I
have tools that can do all that, but ever try to deepen a 2"x1/2"
mortise with a router? Vertically? A chisel works, but why use hand
tools when you can use a power tool?

HTH.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:00:24 -0500, Bill Ray
wrote:

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

If it's a tool you haven't needed in 20 years why is it so important
to now prcure said tool in a format that will enable you to carry it
with you wherever, whenever?

ROY!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Ray wrote:
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

G'day Bill,
I have a GMC dremel knock off, corded, and although I don't use it often
when I do it's indispensable.
I'd also agree with the fellows who recommended against the cordless
version. A mate gave me one a number of years ago and it's a pain in the
proverbial. Whenever you need it the battery's always flat, and once
charged it never lasts long.
Id also go with the kits, they make the machine into a real problem solver.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Bill Ray wrote:
I think I'll pass, but thanks for the info and the offer.

Even though you don't want mine, I'd suggest getting a good trial on
the cordless before buying if you think you'll use it a lot. I can't
imagine Dremel has the same quality of battery as a modern DeWalt,
Makita, etc..., based on the price of the tool.

Actually Dremel was one of the first manufacturers to use a lithium ion
battery in a cordless tool--it has plenty of power and lasts a good long
time.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:
Leon wrote:

I would say to go with the corded model as the battery will
certainly expire sooner than later.

I have one of each. Don't bother with the battery powered one - the
battery dies in a few minutes, and the thing suffers from a lack of
power. I never use the cordless one any more.

Is that the 10.8v lithium ion version or the older 4.8v?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bas writes:

I have the corded version, my buddy has the cordless. Cordless is nice
of course, but the corded one has a lot more power.

I have a Foredom "Bench Lathe" - a 1/6 HP mounted variable speed motor
with twin shafts (think mini-grinder) with a flexshaft. I got it 20
years ago, and I was using it today to buff some delicate 1/2" ebony
pieces.

If you carve, or work with small pieces, it's very handy.
Foredom doesn't advertise much, but they have a great reputation.

The PDF catalog is available here

http://www.blackstoneind.com/foundat...es_May2006.PDF

(it's a lousy PDF file. I don't think Foredom is web savvy). But
before you buy Dremel, check out other products on the same genre.

Foredom is popular with jewelers. Check out the variety of handpieces.
I think they have more that 20. There's 3 different drill presses. I
also see a milling and table saw attachment. Or they have the pieces
where you can make your own.

I haven't checked out the Foredom catalog is a while. Some cool stuff.

How much horse power is the Dremel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 21:39:48 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Actually Dremel was one of the first manufacturers to use a lithium ion
battery in a cordless tool--it has plenty of power and lasts a good long
time.

I hadn't heard about the LiON model, but I still wonder how they do it
so cheap. I see the Dremel 8000-02 going for ~ $75, in a full kit.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

I bought a Dremel from Amazon a few months ago. I got the corded
model with variable speed as some duties will be tough and long. It
has been my personal experience that corded tools last longer than
cordless. The flex-shaft is nice for small work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Actually Dremel was one of the first manufacturers to use a lithium
ion battery in a cordless tool--it has plenty of power and lasts a
good long time.

I hadn't heard about the LiON model, but I still wonder how they do it
so cheap. I see the Dremel 8000-02 going for ~ $75, in a full kit.

Relatively small battery most likely. But then Dremels are like razors,
give away the razor, make your money on the blades. Kodak used to do
the same thing with cameras.

They charge about 35 bucks for the battery.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the corded varible speed. I made a federal card table FWW
12-05 and used dremel to make the 6 routes per leg to add string
inlay. For the straight routes I attached a base with edge guide I
purchase from Stewart McDonald ( the guitar making supplier) This came
with a small blower to remove sawdust, which doubled the price and
could be done without. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Dr...uter_Base.html
The curved part was done same tool without the edge guide. No
experience with cordless but cant imagine why I would use it since I
have a cordless drill. A cordless drill is very expensive to replace
batteries ask about Dremel battery

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

My Dremel is over 20 yrs old, corded and relegated to trimming my dogs
toenails. (? paw nails?)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

On Aug 3, 1:00?pm, Bill Ray wrote:
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one,

Bill,
Go with an AC version! The power is always there and no fumbling with
batteries or rechargers! There are many, many accessories made by
Dremel and some made by others that will fit dremels, (www.alisam.com,
or Ebay has a special tool to hold a Demel on a lathe for cut off work
like brass pen tubes or screws etc. and other functions).
I may not use my Dremel every day, but when I need it I'm always glad
I have one around, (actually two, I picked one up cheaply at a garage
sale, good place to look)!
Tim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 1:00 pm, Bill Ray wrote:
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

The cutoff wheels are good for reslotting gnarled screws, otherwise
the Dremel does nothing that I can't do faster and better with hand
tools. The planer attachment looks like a bad joke.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:00:24 -0500, Bill Ray wrote:

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Bill.. Personally, I find it pretty useless as like you, I have other tools in
the shop...

OTOH, I bought my wife the corded VS model a few years ago that came with power
shaft, a couple of jigs for routing or something, a sharpener and a couple
hundred bits and disks.. She loves it..

She uses it often on everything from buffing or sanding her wood burning to
doing her nails..

BTW: the addition of a Dremel keyless drill chuck made the collet system pretty
much obsolete and was about $10..

I think that if I had a need for something to work with itty-bitty tools like
that, I'd probably get a good mini air grinder, but I do 99% of my work in the
shop and don't need to be mobile..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Ray wrote:
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Don't get the cordless. If you do, you'll think the whole concept is goofey
and forever mutter under your breath when someone praises a Dremel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Airporte wrote:
I can't recall the last time I used mine with wood, but I use it with
metal all the time. The reinforced cutoff wheels are great for cutting
and shaping small metal parts. Maybe if you want to make custom brass
hardware?

Similar situation here. I don't use my Dremel on wood very often,
but I have been using it a lot to fabricate the profiles for the
metal blades I use in a scratch stock.

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:00:24 -0500, Bill Ray wrote:

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool.

I really wouldn't. Get a Foredom instead - an electric motor hung on a
stand, with a flexible drive and a speed control footpedal. Compared to
this, even compared to the cheap-and-nasty Foredom copies, a Dremel that
requires you to hold the motor in your hand is always a clumsy beast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Ray wrote:
I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

I have had my Dremel for a lot of years. My father gave it to me as a
Christmas gift when I was in Middle School. It still runs well, and I
still use it for jobs within it's capablity. Dremels work on sheer
speed, they rew up very high. They don't have much torque and if you
press down hard on the work they slow down and stall out. I would go
for a AC powered unit 'cause I doubt that the battery has enough omph to
keep the tool going for long. Unless the "no extension cord"
convenience of cordless is super important to you, the AC powered unit
will work harder, and not run down in the middle of a job. Nor would I
pay extra for variable speed. The Dremel only works well at full speed,
why slow it down?
Dremels are good for grinding/sharpening, light weight routing (VERY
light weight, like balsa wood) buffing, polishing and cutting. The
abrasive cutoff wheels are extremely useful, they will go thru stuff so
hard that a hacksaw won't touch it. They aren't all that useful for
drilling, too fast and not enough torque.

David Starr

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 08:54:26 -0400, David Starr
wrote:

Dremels are good for grinding/sharpening, light weight routing (VERY
light weight, like balsa wood)

Or very light cuts.

If you use the tile-cutting base (a mini router stand) then you can use
them for shallow routing on tougher stuff like oak or walnut with
accurate depth control. This can be useful for inlay work, especially
oval escutcheons where you don't have to worry about corners.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 22:37:04 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:00:24 -0500, Bill Ray wrote:

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool.

I really wouldn't. Get a Foredom instead - an electric motor hung on a
stand, with a flexible drive and a speed control footpedal. Compared to
this, even compared to the cheap-and-nasty Foredom copies, a Dremel that
requires you to hold the motor in your hand is always a clumsy beast.

Andy... My wife's dremel came with the shaft and I hung the main actual tool on
a tool rack over her table with a foot switch...
OH.. senior moment there, she didn't like the foot switch so I made one that she
hits with her elbow..lol

I've used it for little stuff before, like running the little drum sander into
screw holes to add clearance for dowels, but never on anything where I couldn't
use one of her bits or disks in a drill, though...
I guess if you needed to get into a tight space?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 07:23:33 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

Andy... My wife's dremel came with the shaft and I hung the main actual tool on
a tool rack over her table with a foot switch...

So... Mac got the shaft and he hangs his tool. G

Seriously, once you buy a flex shaft, foot speed control, and all the
other goodies to add on to a Dremel, the Foredom deserves a serious
look.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Andy... My wife's dremel came with the shaft and I hung the main actual tool on
a tool rack over her table with a foot switch...

Couple of problems with that:

* It's fixed speed on the footpedal switch, not a real speed control.
One of my pet hates about Dremels is that you can't slow-start them

* The power is far less than a Foredom

* The price of a flex-shaft Dremel and stand is the same as that of a
cheap clone "hanger style" machine (with the advantages of power and
control). Admittedly a real Foredom is rather more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Andy... My wife's dremel came with the shaft and I hung the main actual
tool on
a tool rack over her table with a foot switch...

Couple of problems with that:

* It's fixed speed on the footpedal switch, not a real speed control.
One of my pet hates about Dremels is that you can't slow-start them

My Dremel has electronic variable speed and starts slow.

* The power is far less than a Foredom

And smaller.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Starr" wrote in message

Bill

I have had my Dremel for a lot of years. My father gave it to me as a
Christmas gift when I was in Middle School. It still runs well, and I
still use it for jobs within it's capablity. Dremels work on sheer speed,
they rew up very high. They don't have much torque and if you press down
hard on the work they slow down and stall out. I would go for a AC
powered unit 'cause I doubt that the battery has enough omph to keep the
tool going for long. Unless the "no extension cord" convenience of
cordless is super important to you, the AC powered unit will work harder,
and not run down in the middle of a job. Nor would I pay extra for
variable speed. The Dremel only works well at full speed, why slow it
down?

That is a matter openion. My Dremel is VS and I seldom use it on high
speed. When cutting small screws it has less grab and cutting wheel breaks
when cutting at the lower speeds.

Dremels are good for grinding/sharpening, light weight routing (VERY
light weight, like balsa wood) buffing, polishing and cutting. The
abrasive cutoff wheels are extremely useful, they will go thru stuff so
hard that a hacksaw won't touch it. They aren't all that useful for
drilling, too fast and not enough torque.

Actually when starting a hole in ceramic tile the pointed carbide bits do an
excellent job of penetrating the tile exactly where you want it to be.
Follow up with the common masonry bit is very easy from that point for
making the hole larger to the size you need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Andy... My wife's dremel came with the shaft and I hung the main actual tool on
a tool rack over her table with a foot switch...

So... Mac got the shaft and he hangs his tool. G

Hell, I have to take 1/2 of a viagra to prevent peeing on my shoes...

Seriously, once you buy a flex shaft, foot speed control, and all the
other goodies to add on to a Dremel, the Foredom deserves a serious
look.

The kit I got her was on sale, can't remember the price but it was about $10
more than the Foredom and the Dremel kit included the shaft, router and
sharpening jigs and a bunch of other stuff..

Also, the Foreman was a order and wait and the Dremel was on a stack at Lowes...
Knowing my usual buying habits, it was usually the day before her birthday or
something so instant gratification was required..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Andy... My wife's dremel came with the shaft and I hung the main actual tool on
a tool rack over her table with a foot switch...

Couple of problems with that:

* It's fixed speed on the footpedal switch, not a real speed control.
One of my pet hates about Dremels is that you can't slow-start them

* The power is far less than a Foredom

* The price of a flex-shaft Dremel and stand is the same as that of a
cheap clone "hanger style" machine (with the advantages of power and
control). Admittedly a real Foredom is rather more.

Andy.. I don't think she changes the speed setting much for different jobs, much
less during one...
Sometimes the K.I.S. method is the best way to get the job done and on to making
shavings..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you all! I have been amazed at all the responses. Most of you
even dumped the sawdust and splinters out of the envelope before you
responded. For what it's worth, I decided to get the 10.8v battery
powered unit. I got it from Lowes. They ordered me an extra battery
for $30 and change. I don't have the extra battery yet, but the unit
seemed to do the job fine. With light pressure it didn't bog down or
stall. I don't think I needed a battery unit particularly, but I had
messing with electric cords. Most of my had tools are now battery
powered. Some are PC and some are Dewalt, but I have been pleased with
them.

I had one small job that I thought was designed for the
Dremel--cutting a rectangular hole in a steel door. I just needed to
change a round hole to add a different dead bolt lock. I think that
was my excuse to buy one. A carbide bit worked wonders. Now, let's
see, what can I do with it now?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Bill

wrote:

I have been a woodworker for about 20 years and have never used a
Dremel tool. I plan to purchase one, but cannot decide between the
more full featured tools such as the 400-6/90 Variable Speed XPR
(corded) or the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V Variable Speed (cordless). It is
always nice to carry the tool anywhere and not worry about a cord.
Anyone have comments or suggestions--even about a different model or
brand? They are both about $120 from Amazon.com if you include a spare
battery with the cordless model.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:50:08 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

* It's fixed speed on the footpedal switch, not a real speed control.
One of my pet hates about Dremels is that you can't slow-start them

My Dremel has electronic variable speed and starts slow.

From a control that's mounted on the motor, so is inaccessible when
you're using it with a flex shaft.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 17:04:45 -0500, Bill Ray wrote:

Thank you all! I have been amazed at all the responses.

Did you read any of them?

For what it's worth, I decided to get the 10.8v battery powered unit.

It's not worth much. As you were told, the balance is bad and the
battery life is appalling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

* It's fixed speed on the footpedal switch, not a real speed control.
One of my pet hates about Dremels is that you can't slow-start them

My Dremel has electronic variable speed and starts slow.

From a control that's mounted on the motor, so is inaccessible when
you're using it with a flex shaft.

I suppose you could very easily hang the motor so that you could reach it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Thank you all! I have been amazed at all the responses.

Did you read any of them?

For what it's worth, I decided to get the 10.8v battery powered unit.

It's not worth much. As you were told, the balance is bad and the
battery life is appalling.

That has not been my experience. The 10.8 volt battery seems to run the
thing practically forever.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

For the Ni-Cad batteries, I'd agree, but not Lithium ion batteries.
The 10.8 v has lithium batteries. I'm not sure, but I think the new 7
something volt unit also has lithium ion batteries. Time will tell.

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:12:33 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 17:04:45 -0500, Bill Ray wrote:

Thank you all! I have been amazed at all the responses.

Did you read any of them?

For what it's worth, I decided to get the 10.8v battery powered unit.

It's not worth much. As you were told, the balance is bad and the
battery life is appalling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 22:41:48 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

* It's fixed speed on the footpedal switch, not a real speed control.
One of my pet hates about Dremels is that you can't slow-start them

My Dremel has electronic variable speed and starts slow.

From a control that's mounted on the motor, so is inaccessible when
you're using it with a flex shaft.

I suppose you could very easily hang the motor so that you could reach it.

So I could reach it with my foot? My hands are full, that's why they
fit the things with pedal controls.

Dremel tool q [email protected] UK diy 1 February 22nd 07 01:37 PM
Smoking Dremel Cut Out Tool Jack Woodworking 3 May 4th 06 03:01 AM
Dremel tool problem [email protected] Metalworking 12 January 20th 06 02:32 AM
dremel rotary tool J.Lef Home Repair 4 September 17th 05 02:04 AM
Non-Dremel rotary tool. beee Woodworking 9 March 23rd 05 05:21 PM