Posted to alt.home.repair

Default choice of primers and paints

Looking for recommendations on primers and paints for:

home interior
home exterior
garage/shop

Now then.. for my shop/garage/office..
I bought a couple of gals of Kilz general purpose at WalMart. I also
have 3-4 gals of some Behr flat enamel leftover from another project
and a couple other leftovers I'm thinking to use (maybe paint a couple
different colors on the shop office walls).

CR recommends Behr mostly, but there is noise out there that BM or SW
is really a better paint.

I'm beginning to think that flat is the way to go. By the time it
really needs cleaned it can either be spot painted or is in need of a
full repaint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote:
On Dec 1, 2:51 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Dec 1, 1:00 pm, kansascats wrote:

Looking for recommendations on primers and paints for:

home interior
home exterior
garage/shop

Now then.. for my shop/garage/office..
I bought a couple of gals of Kilz general purpose at WalMart. I also
have 3-4 gals of some Behr flat enamel leftover from another project
and a couple other leftovers I'm thinking to use (maybe paint a couple
different colors on the shop office walls).

CR recommends Behr mostly, but there is noise out there that BM or SW
is really a better paint.

I'm beginning to think that flat is the way to go. By the time it
really needs cleaned it can either be spot painted or is in need of a
full repaint.

use any 100% acrylic latex for all... That is the r&d cutting edge for
mass market paint. - any brand will work fine. Don't need to get too
nit-picky
paul oman/progressive epoxy polymers, inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 3:35*pm, kansascats wrote:
On Dec 1, 2:51*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Dec 1, 1:00*pm, kansascats wrote:

Looking for recommendations on primers and paints for:

home interior
home exterior
garage/shop

Now then.. for my shop/garage/office..
I bought a couple of gals of Kilz general purpose at WalMart. *I also
have 3-4 gals of some Behr flat enamel leftover from another project
and a couple other leftovers I'm thinking to use (maybe paint a couple
different colors on the shop office walls).

CR recommends Behr mostly, but there is noise out there that BM or SW
is really a better paint.

I'm beginning to think that flat is the way to go. * By the time it
really needs cleaned it can either be spot painted or is in need of a
full repaint.

Without mentioning any particular brand, I'll offer this:

Shop at a *real* paint store, not a Walmart or big box store.

The professional, project-specific advice, as well as the quality of
products, from tape to brushes to the paint itself, is well worth the
extra money.

SWMBO bought shutters at Lowes and informed me that the trim and doors
should match. I took them back to Lowes and asked them to custom match
the color.

Three failed attempts later and the guy said "Our machine isn't very
good with dark colors. I can't match it."

I went down the road to a local family-owned "chain" (5 stores) and
they matched the color almost immediately. I just had them match the
years-old paint in my kitchen so I could touch up around the new
window and they hit it perfect the first time. When I built my shed,
they suggested the correct primer and final coat combination which
should get me years of service before it needs a touch-up.

I won't shop for paint anywhere else.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the personal experience. * I've been through similar but
with opposite results.

I don't recall which -- either SW or BM, but I opted for their paint
on an exterior window trim job (for my own house). * The paint was
about gone 2 years after I painted. * I scraped and sanded and removed
as much of the orginal paint as I could. *I then primed and painted
with their recommended paint. *Needless to say, after only 2 years, I
was not happy. *I used Behr the 2nd time around with better results.
The 3rd time I used Valspar.

Maybe the answer is variable -- and depends on which formulation, temp
and humidity condtions, etc. * I cannot say that I've been thrilled
with any particular brand of paint. * None seem to come anywhere close
to their advertized 15-20 years warranties.

I'm just looking for some thoughts form the group..- Hide quoted text -

For a paint job to only last 2 years you did something very wrong,
nobody here can say what you did that caused the failure, You need to
get several people to look at your house to figure it out, and you
need to know how it should be done. Where I live there is no question
that Behr is not the best. 15-20 years is not uncommon, just looking
outside my window I can see two houses I painted around 1994 that are
not peeling, thats about when I quit painting. You should be able to
get a company rep from SW out, Moore is a bit harder to get one over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

FWIW I have used both Behr and Benjamin Moore for spot repairs in my
kitchen, and the local Benjamin Moore place did a heck of a lot better
job color matching, and the paint covers better too. Only downside is I
waste so much filling up the roller to do a spot repair! I'm gonna have
to start just doing repairs and then leaving them until I have 3-4 ready
to go... (have a couple more spots to do, all around the house - same
color though.)

By the time I get that all done, it'll be time to repaint :/ The real
thing is, I don't want to leave all the work until we're ready to
repaint, otherwise the sheer magnitude of the repairs needed will be
overwhelming. So I'm pickin' away at them one at a time until it's
mostly good.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"kansascats" wrote in message
Looking for recommendations on primers and paints for:

home interior
home exterior
garage/shop

Now then.. for my shop/garage/office..
I bought a couple of gals of Kilz general purpose at WalMart. I also
have 3-4 gals of some Behr flat enamel leftover from another project
and a couple other leftovers I'm thinking to use (maybe paint a couple
different colors on the shop office walls).

CR recommends Behr mostly, but there is noise out there that BM or SW
is really a better paint.

I'm beginning to think that flat is the way to go. By the time it
really needs cleaned it can either be spot painted or is in need of a
full repaint.

For what it's worth, my kid has worked for a pro painter off & on for the
past two years, and his boss has nothing but evil things to say about Behr
products, especially for exterior work. He's impressed with
Sherwin-Williams, and has no problems with Kilz either.

Am I doing something wrong? I bought a gallon of the new Kilz "pro" and
the last repair I did on the kitchen ceiling, I needed two heavy coats
and it still wasn't a uniform white (but two coats of paint after that
did the job.) Or did I just have really scungy plaster hiding under
that old fluorescent light fixture? I was using a 3/8" nap roller.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote:
Looking for recommendations on primers and paints for:

home interior
home exterior
garage/shop

Now then.. for my shop/garage/office..
I bought a couple of gals of Kilz general purpose at WalMart. I also
have 3-4 gals of some Behr flat enamel leftover from another project
and a couple other leftovers I'm thinking to use (maybe paint a couple
different colors on the shop office walls).

CR recommends Behr mostly, but there is noise out there that BM or SW
is really a better paint.

I'm beginning to think that flat is the way to go. By the time it
really needs cleaned it can either be spot painted or is in need of a
full repaint.

We've been using the Kilz colors for 3 years now. Probably applied
somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 gallons. Brush, roller, and
sprayed. We will not use another. as for the flat, semi, eggshell,
satin bs, that's all subjective to what you like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

this is total bs. We tried the high dollar SW paint from the 'real'
paint store. Hated it. We'll stick with the Kilz colors from Walmart.
Been through 200+ gallons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Beats me. What did the manufacturer say when you called them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

FWIW I have used both Behr and Benjamin Moore for spot repairs in my
kitchen, and the local Benjamin Moore place did a heck of a lot better
job color matching, and the paint covers better too. Only downside
is I waste so much filling up the roller to do a spot repair!

1. Use a brush

2. Cut the roller in half. Or thirds. Or quarters.

3. Wipe it on with a sponge.

4. Dab it on with your pinky

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walk into ANY home, look at the walls, then tell me what brand and quality
of paint was used!

I used Walmart paint in my house and it looks the same as all other houses
to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 12:46*pm, "Bill" wrote:
Walk into ANY home, look at the walls, then tell me what brand and quality
of paint was used!

I used Walmart paint in my house and it looks the same as all other houses
to me.

Yeah.. that's kinda what I'm after. On the interior it comes down to
one-coat coverage. I don't like to paint, and so want the least
amount of labor to get a good job.

For the exterior -- again assuming I don't like to paint (and prep
properly), if I hire it done, I want maximum lifespan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:46 pm, "Bill" wrote:
Walk into ANY home, look at the walls, then tell me what brand and quality
of paint was used!

I used Walmart paint in my house and it looks the same as all other houses
to me.

Yeah.. that's kinda what I'm after. On the interior it comes down to
one-coat coverage. I don't like to paint, and so want the least
amount of labor to get a good job.

For the exterior -- again assuming I don't like to paint (and prep
properly), if I hire it done, I want maximum lifespan.

Ahhh....this is the crux of the matter. I absolutely HATE the prep for
any kind of painting, but I am obsessive about doing it right because I
don't want to do it again for a long time. I used Sears paint many
years ago...my first interior paint job...and it was awful. Sears had
several price ranges for interior latex, and I used a better one. I
probably selected Ben Moore for my next paint job because the only local
paint store carried it. Been a Ben Moore fan ever since. My present
kitchen was painted with B.M. alkyd semi-gloss about 6 years ago. Alkyd
is all that I use for kitchen, bath or for wood trim. I had reason to
write a message on the kitchen wall couple of years ago with a Sharpie
permanent marker...to make a very definite point )....hubby was able
to remove it with elbow grease and a 3M scrubber. Can't see that it was
ever there )

One kitchen I painted with B.M. looked just fine after 13 years, in
spite of rough cleaning...smoky, no exhaust fan. Unless you repaint
every couple of years just to change color, then good paint is well
worth the price, IMO. But when a paint job fails, 99% of the time it is
probably due to external damage or poor prep. Cheap paint is more
difficult to cover with, more difficult to apply.

I've read that for exterior appl. to wood, the wood should be painted on
all sides and ends .. I'm sure it is rarely done, but sealing up end
grain would probably avoid most peeling problems for exterior paint.
Caulk joints after priming to avoid intrusion and moisture getting to
end grain or unpainted surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 4:35*pm, kansascats wrote:
[...]

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about a paint store dedicated to/
franchised from any particular brand.

The "chain" I was referring to was a independant where they sell many
different brands.

P.S. If the paint was gone after 2 years, I don't think the brand was
the problem. If *any* brand of paint only lasted 2 years, they'd be
out of business fairly quickly. SW and BM have been around for a long
time, so I don't think they are selling paint that only lasts 2 years.

I'd start looking for the problem someplace other than the label on
the can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 2, 3:15*pm, kansascats wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:46*pm, "Bill" wrote:

Walk into ANY home, look at the walls, then tell me what brand and quality
of paint was used!

I used Walmart paint in my house and it looks the same as all other houses
to me.

Yeah.. that's kinda what I'm after. * On the interior it comes down to
one-coat coverage. *I don't like to paint, and so want the least
amount of labor to get a good job.

For the exterior -- again assuming I don't like to paint (and prep
properly), if I hire it done, I want maximum lifespan.

I haven't used ANY paint that looks perfect after only one coat.

If there's something out there that will do so, I'd be more than happy
to give it a try...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 12:46 pm, "Bill" wrote:

Walk into ANY home, look at the walls, then tell me what brand and
quality
of paint was used!

I used Walmart paint in my house and it looks the same as all other
houses
to me.

Yeah.. that's kinda what I'm after. On the interior it comes down to
one-coat coverage. I don't like to paint, and so want the least
amount of labor to get a good job.

For the exterior -- again assuming I don't like to paint (and prep
properly), if I hire it done, I want maximum lifespan.

I haven't used ANY paint that looks perfect after only one coat.

If there's something out there that will do so, I'd be more than happy
to give it a try...

nate

============

Devoe or Martin-Senour

Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote:
[...]

I have favorite brands, but not inclined to fight over them. I am
intriqued by your comment that the paint "was gone 2 years after" you
painted. Can you elaborate? Type of paint? All peeled, faded, or just
"disappeared" or degraded badly? How many coats? Prep?

as much of the orginal paint as I could. I then primed and painted
with their recommended paint. Needless to say, after only 2 years, I
was not happy. I used Behr the 2nd time around with better results.
The 3rd time I used Valspar.

Maybe the answer is variable -- and depends on which formulation, temp
and humidity condtions, etc. I cannot say that I've been thrilled
with any particular brand of paint. None seem to come anywhere close
to their advertized 15-20 years warranties.

I'm just looking for some thoughts form the group..

I used SW on my daughter's house because SW was the nearest paint store
and I considered it a good brand. I painted exterior trim with alkyd
semi-gloss after extensive prep...torching off old, alligatored paint,
sanding, priming, caulking. Just applying the first brush-full was an
experience...it just went on so easily and smoothly. There were a
couple of places that, after 2-3 years, began to peel because I hadn't
caulked the end grain well enough at the base of the vertical trim
boards where they met the sill.

I've never had a paint job, with cheap or expensive paint, that
"failed". The differences I have seen have been with: 1. coverage; 2.
ease of cleaning. Cheap interior latex stains easily from any oily type
stuff like handprints, ballpoint ink, lipstick, etc. Don't ask how it
all got on the wall )

My parents built a home in 1983, concrete block/stucco, Florida.
Painted with BM best...can't remember name. Repainted 10 years later,
just for the hell of it....there was no sign at all that it NEEDED to be
repainted ) There was no chalking, peeling, mildew, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
[...]

Sherwin Williams . Benjamin Moore , California are all fine paints...Take
your pick...Was back at a house I drywalled and the homeowner used Behr
Paint on the walls and ceiling and it looked fine..Never tried it myself...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
N8N wrote:

I haven't used ANY paint that looks perfect after only one coat.

If there's something out there that will do so, I'd be more than happy
to give it a try...

nate

Benjamin Moore claims to have "reinvented" paint, resulting in a true
one-coat product. I haven't tried it, partly because it's $55/gallon.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bo...h/item_85.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:07*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*N8N wrote:
I haven't used ANY paint that looks perfect after only one coat.

If there's something out there that will do so, I'd be more than happy
to give it a try...

nate

Benjamin Moore claims to have "reinvented" paint, resulting in a true
one-coat product. I haven't tried it, partly because it's $55/gallon.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bo...h/item_85.html

The 1 hour dry time troubles me more than the $55/gallon.

My painting problem has always been this:

If I use too little paint, it doesn't cover in one coat.

If I try to cover in one coat by using more paint, it drips, runs and
sags.

I'm resigned to using 2 coats since it's easier than trying to fix the
drips, runs and sags.

Now, at $55 a gallon, I would need some strong assurances that the
paint would cover in one coat, even with my amateurish skills, since
the stated one hour dry time is not going to give me *any* time to fix
the drips, runs and sags.

That's why I can't use products like B-I-N Shellac based primer. It
dries too fast for me to fix my mistakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
N8N wrote:

I haven't used ANY paint that looks perfect after only one coat.

If there's something out there that will do so, I'd be more than happy
to give it a try...

nate

Benjamin Moore claims to have "reinvented" paint, resulting in a true
one-coat product. I haven't tried it, partly because it's $55/gallon.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bo...h/item_85.html

I've never gotten satisfactory coverage from a "one coat" paint, and
always attributed that to my application. I usually discount the claim
and plan for two coats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

That's why I can't use products like B-I-N Shellac based primer. It
dries too fast for me to fix my mistakes.

Folks go overboard on BIN and Zinsser brands, without understanding the
specifics of each primer. BIN shellac is great, but for very specific
stain-blocking purposes. Other companies make equally good primers for
stain blocking. BIN shellac also comes in a spray can, but it is highly
flammable. Wonderful stain blocker but requires special caution. I
used it on a kitchen ceiling, warm night, windows open. When I filled
the kitchen with spray mist, I remembered I had forgotten to shut off
the pilot on the gas range! Eek! Crawled under the tarp real quick to
shut off the pilot, after briefly considering evacuating the house )

BIN and Zinsser labels are reliable...I've used Zinsser Bullseye
water-based primer on Formica...worked great, still holding up fine.
That one, as I recall, is on the thick side, as well. A little sanding
prior to painting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 12:46 pm, "Bill" wrote:

Walk into ANY home, look at the walls, then tell me what brand and quality
of paint was used!
I used Walmart paint in my house and it looks the same as all other houses
to me.

Yeah.. that's kinda what I'm after. On the interior it comes down to
one-coat coverage. I don't like to paint, and so want the least
amount of labor to get a good job.

For the exterior -- again assuming I don't like to paint (and prep
properly), if I hire it done, I want maximum lifespan.

I haven't used ANY paint that looks perfect after only one coat.

If there's something out there that will do so, I'd be more than happy
to give it a try...

nate

I'd have to agree with Nate here. Even the finest Kilz colors that
guarantee one coat coverage, usually take two coats to make it right.
Now if you're putting yuppie beige over yuppie beige , probably a one
coat could be possible.

steve
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 2, 12:46 pm, "Bill" wrote:

[...]

Personally, I find that to be even *harder* to do, unless I have good
lighting in the room that I'm working on - not the paint's fault, but
when the colors are close, it's easy to have a few holidays that you
don't notice until you've already cleaned your roller!

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 12:46 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

good point. I was trying to find flaws in my sheetrock mud job the
other day, and it made a world of difference looking at it from one
direction as opposed to the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

...been awhile since I posted my OP

I finally proceeded with a trial, albeit anything but scientific.

I bought Behr primer, at 11.99/can, SW Drywall primer at 21.99 (or
maybe it was 19.99)/can, and PPG Speed Hide primer at 19.99 less 10%
discount (17.99/can), Kilz general purpose primer at 11-something a
can. All cans are 1 gal buckets.

I used them mostly on unprimed drywall. I also used them on some bare
pine. I used a Purdy brush and Shur-Line rollers. The surface temp
was 50-60. The dry-time temp was 60-65. I'm painting a 24x12x8h room
(office) in my detached garage/shop. I'm also painting the rest
(24x24x8h) when temps warm. I did lay down some Kilz in the corners
and about 12 foot of one wall.

I did not use the SW on a large area of drywall. It was the last one
used, and the drywall I have remaining is too cold to prime at this
time. I only used it on some bare pine window trim.

Here is my random thoughts and perceptions..

Behr is the white-est and thinest. The tape and mud work are very
visible once it dries (and during application). It went on well with
a brush. The Kilz took a bit more effort to apply with the brush.
PPG is the least white but clearly thickest -- it nearly hides out the
tape and mud work. It applies well with a brush -- a bit less effort
than the Kilz, and again, much thicker than the Behr.
Kilz is somewhere between Behr and PPG, but seems to leave a slightly
better finish than Behr.
I topcoated with some 2-4 year-old Behr Prem Plus mid-tone green
paint. On the Behr primed wall, the sheen seems a bit glossier than
the PPG primed wall. The difference on the Kilz primed wall is
negligible.
The PPG maybe gives a slightly more uniform and consistent look and
feel -- this is highy subjective however.
The topcoat will need a 2nd coat -- or at least some roller touchup to
cover well.
The SW is thinner than the PPG, a bit thicker than Behr.
The SW has a very unique and distinctive odor.
The Behr has an amonia odor.

I cannot really pick a clear winner. If I was tempted to chose one
for a single coat coverage -- say for my ceiling and it would not be
topcoated, I would clearly chose PPG. It just about hides the tape
seems. I'm not sure if the PPG should even be used for a one-coat
however. If not, then this point is mute. But, I do plan to buy
another gallon of PPG and finish my ceiling with it -- and possibly
just call the ceiling done. I do not find any points about topcoating
on the PPG container. On the SW it clearly states it should be
topcoated. Once a topcoat - even just one coat is applied, it's hard
to find any real differences. This pretty much leads me to the
conclusion, that the primer may as well just be of the same brand as
the topcoat and forget about all other factors. The primer, assuming
there is some design behind it, is probably most effective with a
paint from the same company. It also sort of leads me to seriously
consider that for existing paint, the better choice may be one from
the same company. In otherwords -- if my house is painted with BM on
the exterior, maybe it's best to use BM again for future painting.
For interior I would not worry about it.

Looking at this differently -- I don't see a strong correlation
between price and final result. While I've yet to give the SW a fair
shot, it's going to be really hard to justify $20/gal when the Behr/
Kilz are $12/gal, and the PPG at $18/gal clearly does hide much
better. If I needed the hide, the PPG wins, but on a topcoat or two-
topcoat scenario, then the less costly Behr/Kilz options seem pretty
reasonable. If I had easy access to Kilz paint, then maybe I'd opt
for the Kilz primer. If the WalMart brand paint is really Kilz, then
I guess I do, otherwise, Behr, Valspar, PPG, SW are more widely
available to me.

For the average DIY-er, I cannot overwhelmingly see paying 2x for SW
or even PPG. Maybe if I was doing this daily or even monthly, I
could find a better agrument for a more expensive paint. As it is --
when painting once or twice a year, the bigger issues tend to be
moving around furniture, prep, and the struggles with cutting-in, or
taping off. To that end I picked up a $3 Shur-Line pad with 2
rollers that claims to be good for trim. My initial impression is
that it shows promise. Cutting-in with a brush along door/window trim
is never crisp enough for me. I get better each time, but it's a
painstaking job and when I do this only once a year, it takes me hours
to re-learn.

This is clearly not addressing the longevity of the primer or paint
job. But then again, for interior, I'm not convinced it's going to
make any difference. I'd just buy the top line of paint from
whichever brand I chose. I'd used a gloss or semi-gloss on trim
(personally I like real wood anyway) -- and flat or eggshell. My
guess is that after 5 years the paint will look very good and that in
10 years it will still look good. And in 10-15 it's going to be
repainted anyway.

Sidenote -- the Behr topcoat paint really sticks to my brush. It was
a brand new Purdy and I cannot get the brush like-new clean after
scrubbing with soap and water for 30 minutes. I only painted about 2
hours max with the brush. Maybe that's a strong point for the paint,
but it really stinks that I cannot get my brush clean. For this issue
alone -- I could be swayed to another brand ;-)

So -- there ya have it. I'd love to see a 6 sided room - each
painted with specific brand (Behr, Valspar, SW, BM, PPG, Walmart) by
the same painter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a quart of several-year-old (probably 3-7) Behr exterior semi-
gloss white that I brushed onto the window/door trim. Again -- this
stuff is very thick. It says dries to touch in 2 hours, but it was
drying to touch in 10 minutes. Again -- it was impossible with soap
and water to get it off the brush. Much of this is probably my
inexperience, but it's drying way too fast for me to work with,
although it seems to look OK now that it's dried. I took two
approaches -- put it on heavy and rubbed it on light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Repairs: Choice of primers and paints

For exterior paints - go name brand - Columbia, Behr, Sherwin Williams,
Pittsburgh... I used a local brand for exterior once - it was pealing by
the next year.

Interior, be sure to shop the same place. I don't do Wal Mart, with the
turn over you never know what you are going to get. Brand is less
important as it does not get the wear and tear of the exterior.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

kansascats wrote:
I had a quart of several-year-old (probably 3-7) Behr exterior semi-
gloss white that I brushed onto the window/door trim. Again -- this
stuff is very thick. It says dries to touch in 2 hours, but it was
drying to touch in 10 minutes. Again -- it was impossible with soap
and water to get it off the brush. Much of this is probably my
inexperience, but it's drying way too fast for me to work with,
although it seems to look OK now that it's dried. I took two
approaches -- put it on heavy and rubbed it on light.

My experience w/ Behr exterior (bestest at the time about 5 yrs ago now)
was and remains quite good.

Used about 40 gal ea oil-base primer and latex gloss topcoat white on
barn. Each sprayed and brushed well and covered well. I'd have no
qualms in recommending it or using it again.

It has and is holding up well w/ the exception of a couple of areas that
were especially weathered and apparently we didn't get prep'ed well
enough. It is 90-yr old barn that hadn't been painted in 50 years. The
structure is so large (40x66x14 at corner/nearly 40 to haymow ridge/30
to gambrel roof break line) that despite spending months in sanding and
using oxalic acid it was simply impossible to not have a few places that
didn't get the level of attention they needed. Have seen no place w/
new material that has any adhesion problems whatsoever.

I haven't noticed any particular difficulty in cleaning brushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the brush cleaning.

It was a brand new Purdy 2.5" angled XL Glide.

After painting for at most 2 hours with the "green" Behr interior, and
then washing with warm/hot water and soap, there were strands on the
brush that were encased in the dried paint and it would not come
off. Now -- I'm not saying that the brush was "gunked up" so bad
that it's not useable. I was just expecting that I could remove ALL
signs of paint and see a clean brush. But there are traces of "green"
and now "white" paint on the bristles. My wife used my last Purdy..
and left it soaking in yellow Behr for hours. She also angled the
brush backwards and curved the angled tip. We scrubbed it with about
everything in the shop, and got it back to useable -- but the bristles
are permanently curved and it's worthless for a cut-in brush. It's a
great general purpose slap-it-on brush. I never thought much about it
-- until now and started to think that the Behr paint might be drying
so rapidly that it seals to the bristles well before they can be
washed out. With the new brush I dipped it into water before the
paint. I generally try to only get the brush 1/2-way into the
paint. I try to keep it to 1/3rd.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 2:06*pm, Dymphna
wrote:
For exterior paints - go name brand - Columbia, Behr, Sherwin Williams,
Pittsburgh... I used a local brand for exterior once - it was pealing by
the next year.

Interior, be sure to shop the same place. I don't do Wal Mart, with the
turn over you never know what you are going to get. Brand is less
important as it does not get the wear and tear of the exterior.

--
Dymphna
Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

This started out as a "which is best" primer discussion. At least in
my case, I could not find a strong argument for using the more
expensive primers except maybe the PPG speed-hide if the desire is one
coat and no topcoat coverage. That's likely going to be a rare
case. For me, though, that could possibly work for my office/shop
ceiling. Just lay down the PPG primer and be done. If I can do
that, then for $18 and my time to put it on ONCE, it's a good
solution. But if I have to add a topcoat -- albeit a ceiling paint,
then I may as well go with the $12 Behr primer.

The other consideration for the DIYer -- is store hours. HD (Behr)
and Lowes (Valspar) are open when the paint stores are not. Again --
I know -- it's maybe not the optimum "paint" solution, but for the
DIYer, there are other factors that are more significant -- or so it
would seem. Maybe I should say so long as the paint stays on the
walls, wears OK, and can be repainted with no ill-effects. Of course
that's going to take 10+ years to conclude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I called the store that sold me the PPG speed-hide. Their strong
recommendation is to top-coat. They offered Coronado ceiling paint
for $13/gallon. Behr at HD is 20/gal or 25/2gals. But that gets back
to my point about topcoating. So the speed-hide sealer was $18/gal
and the Behr primer is $12/gal (or $55 for 5 gal). If I topcoat,
then I don't see a strong argument for the more expensive primer.

I think I will try to water-down the Behr a bit and see if that helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote:
[...]

If you had SW or BM paint that was "about gone" two years after
painting, something was dreadfully wrong. Both are high quality. My
parents' home was repainted after 10 years of wearing it's original coat
of BM semi-gloss. It looked as good then as when it was originally
painted. Any paint failing that quickly had some defect, either in
application or in storage or a major factory f-up. I tried Behr paint
once, for furniture, and it was crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

kansascats wrote:
I called the store that sold me the PPG speed-hide. Their strong
recommendation is to top-coat. They offered Coronado ceiling paint
for $13/gallon. Behr at HD is 20/gal or 25/2gals. But that gets back
to my point about topcoating. So the speed-hide sealer was $18/gal
and the Behr primer is $12/gal (or $55 for 5 gal). If I topcoat,
then I don't see a strong argument for the more expensive primer.

I think I will try to water-down the Behr a bit and see if that helps.

I haven't followed your entire thread, so perhaps have missed some
points. I would not leave a primer as a final finish unless appearance
was of no concern. But, then, why bother in the first place? You don't
get the same protection and ease of cleaning with primer only in most
cases. The high-hide may save you a coat of paint, so the price may not
be that important.