Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Home Repairs: Choice of primers and paints

kansascats wrote:
I called the store that sold me the PPG speed-hide. Their strong
recommendation is to top-coat. They offered Coronado ceiling paint
for $13/gallon. Behr at HD is 20/gal or 25/2gals. But that gets back
to my point about topcoating. So the speed-hide sealer was $18/gal
and the Behr primer is $12/gal (or $55 for 5 gal). If I topcoat,
then I don't see a strong argument for the more expensive primer.

I think I will try to water-down the Behr a bit and see if that helps.

I haven't followed your entire thread, so perhaps have missed some
points. I would not leave a primer as a final finish unless appearance
was of no concern. But, then, why bother in the first place? You don't
get the same protection and ease of cleaning with primer only in most
cases. The high-hide may save you a coat of paint, so the price may not
be that important.