Posted to alt.home.repair
kansascats kansascats is offline

Default Home Repairs: Choice of primers and paints

On Jan 5, 2:06*pm, Dymphna
wrote:
For exterior paints - go name brand - Columbia, Behr, Sherwin Williams,
Pittsburgh... I used a local brand for exterior once - it was pealing by
the next year.

Interior, be sure to shop the same place. I don't do Wal Mart, with the
turn over you never know what you are going to get. Brand is less
important as it does not get the wear and tear of the exterior.

--
Dymphna
Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

This started out as a "which is best" primer discussion. At least in
my case, I could not find a strong argument for using the more
expensive primers except maybe the PPG speed-hide if the desire is one
coat and no topcoat coverage. That's likely going to be a rare
case. For me, though, that could possibly work for my office/shop
ceiling. Just lay down the PPG primer and be done. If I can do
that, then for $18 and my time to put it on ONCE, it's a good
solution. But if I have to add a topcoat -- albeit a ceiling paint,
then I may as well go with the $12 Behr primer.

The other consideration for the DIYer -- is store hours. HD (Behr)
and Lowes (Valspar) are open when the paint stores are not. Again --
I know -- it's maybe not the optimum "paint" solution, but for the
DIYer, there are other factors that are more significant -- or so it
would seem. Maybe I should say so long as the paint stays on the
walls, wears OK, and can be repainted with no ill-effects. Of course
that's going to take 10+ years to conclude.