Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default choice of primers and paints

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 1, 1:00 pm, kansascats wrote:
Looking for recommendations on primers and paints for:

home interior
home exterior
garage/shop

Now then.. for my shop/garage/office..
I bought a couple of gals of Kilz general purpose at WalMart. I also
have 3-4 gals of some Behr flat enamel leftover from another project
and a couple other leftovers I'm thinking to use (maybe paint a couple
different colors on the shop office walls).

CR recommends Behr mostly, but there is noise out there that BM or SW
is really a better paint.

I'm beginning to think that flat is the way to go. By the time it
really needs cleaned it can either be spot painted or is in need of a
full repaint.

Without mentioning any particular brand, I'll offer this:

Shop at a *real* paint store, not a Walmart or big box store.

The professional, project-specific advice, as well as the quality of
products, from tape to brushes to the paint itself, is well worth the
extra money.

SWMBO bought shutters at Lowes and informed me that the trim and doors
should match. I took them back to Lowes and asked them to custom match
the color.

Three failed attempts later and the guy said "Our machine isn't very
good with dark colors. I can't match it."

I went down the road to a local family-owned "chain" (5 stores) and
they matched the color almost immediately. I just had them match the
years-old paint in my kitchen so I could touch up around the new
window and they hit it perfect the first time. When I built my shed,
they suggested the correct primer and final coat combination which
should get me years of service before it needs a touch-up.

I won't shop for paint anywhere else.

this is total bs. We tried the high dollar SW paint from the 'real'
paint store. Hated it. We'll stick with the Kilz colors from Walmart.
Been through 200+ gallons.