Posted to alt.home.repair
kansascats kansascats is offline

Default Home Repairs: Choice of primers and paints

the brush cleaning.

It was a brand new Purdy 2.5" angled XL Glide.

After painting for at most 2 hours with the "green" Behr interior, and
then washing with warm/hot water and soap, there were strands on the
brush that were encased in the dried paint and it would not come
off. Now -- I'm not saying that the brush was "gunked up" so bad
that it's not useable. I was just expecting that I could remove ALL
signs of paint and see a clean brush. But there are traces of "green"
and now "white" paint on the bristles. My wife used my last Purdy..
and left it soaking in yellow Behr for hours. She also angled the
brush backwards and curved the angled tip. We scrubbed it with about
everything in the shop, and got it back to useable -- but the bristles
are permanently curved and it's worthless for a cut-in brush. It's a
great general purpose slap-it-on brush. I never thought much about it
-- until now and started to think that the Behr paint might be drying
so rapidly that it seals to the bristles well before they can be
washed out. With the new brush I dipped it into water before the
paint. I generally try to only get the brush 1/2-way into the
paint. I try to keep it to 1/3rd.