Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safety lites on gar. door opener

Rick Brandt wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
Why not make them serve double duty, or 1.5 duty. What I do is
install them at bumper height instead of way down 6" off the ground.
Then I can't close the garage door and hit the car's bumper and
scratch it if it's not in all the way. I like to only put my cars in
just barely enough to clear the door so I maximize the room in front
of them.

I recommend the high-tech solution of a hanging tennis ball.

I think you can get the kit, complete with ball, thumb tack, and string,
at Best Buy for $9.95.

I always hear this suggestion, but who wants tennis balls hanging down in
the middle of their garage?

They also don't work so well, for those of us with less than great depth
perception. It is surprisingly hard to to tell when something touches
the clear windshield, with no nearby points of reference. Maybe if you
add some bells to the twine above the ball or something.

Me, I flip the headlights on and look at the reflections on the wall in
my too-short garage. I bought a boat bumper at at garage sale, to hang
on the wall on a rope, but never got around to hanging it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 07:51:25 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 29, 4:49*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Why not make them serve double duty, or 1.5 duty. *What I do is
install them at bumper height instead of way down 6" off the ground.
Then I can't *close the garage door and hit the car's bumper and
scratch it if it's not in all the way. *I like to only put my cars in
just barely enough to clear the door so I maximize the room in front
of them.

I recommend the high-tech solution of a hanging tennis ball.

I think you can get the kit, complete with ball, thumb tack, and string, at
Best Buy for $9.95.

Hmmm...I wonder if one can get a second set. My wife is disabled and
I have to park with the car backed in with the trunk in the door to
pick her up. Wife has absentmindedly closed the door on the trunk
lid.

Harry K

If you get a whole bunch of little mirrors and aim them all
properly......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:19:09 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

actually at home resale time it will be flagged by the home inspector,
and the homeowner will be required to replace the opener with a modern
one...

This potentially bears on code requirements, part of my original query.

"flagged by the home inspector"? As a code violation? You don't have
any references to such, do you?

You're just rattling stuff off for no substantial reason, aren't ya? Eh?? Eh???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message

I always hear this suggestion, but who wants tennis balls hanging down in
the middle of their garage?

Good point. I used a washer on a string instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 3:23�pm, Willie The Wimp
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:19:09 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
actually at home resale time it will be flagged by the home inspector,
and the homeowner will be required to replace the opener with a modern
one...

This potentially bears on code requirements, part of my original query.

"flagged by the home inspector"? As a code violation? You don't have
any references to such, do you?

You're just rattling stuff off for no substantial reason, aren't ya? Eh?? Eh???

OK you go sell a home and report back

You have NO IDEA the home inspector hassles, yet one MUST get thru the
inspection or see the sale evaporate Fact is somewhere around here I
have TWO home inspection reports done within a month of one another,
and hardly matching at all.

90% of buyers want a ready to move in no repairs necessary, so a fixer
upper elminates 90% of buyers. makes selling hard. most buyers are
instantly turned off

so unless you have sold a home within the last 5 years, go try, and do
let us know how things go

Your better off doing things right as you go along, than wait till
home sale time, when you have to go back and fix all the stuff you
patched / worked around earlier

DIY people like the majority who hang out here would look at fixing it
up as a fun challenge, vs most buyers who dont want to do anything.

Me and my wife at the time looked at a beautiful pretty cheap home
near orlando florida. quiet dead end street fenced in yard, well
maintained homes. picture perfect I fell in love

The problem was the house stank of cat urine, it was a concrete slab
home.

no biggie to fix it up, and be rid of the odor, I had done this before
selling my moms urine soaked home, and it was hardwood much harder.

my wife wouldnt even consider it............

the idea died of consternation jen wanted a fancy new or near new home
with zero work....

jen was a typical home shopper.

to sell my moms house i had to add jackposts under a beam that was
nothed 50 years earlier passed inspection and never moved, get the
main service reinspected cause the inspectors signature was visible
but faded, gert the brand new water heaters main valve replaced, after
inspector claimed it leaked, plumber said no leak but it had to be
replaced anyway, added 2 dehumidifiers, in mid summer basement
humidity was too high, the GFCI on sump pump hassle and a long list of
other hassles that really amounted to nothing.

heck before putting it on market it got electrical upgrade, painted
complete, new carpeting, new complete kitchen, bath redone new ceramic
floor cabinet lights outlets (GFCI) the entire house looked awesome
and both buyers home inspectors put me thru hell.........

but hey do slipshod work on your home, it doesnt effect me at all

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Willie The Wimp wrote:
This potentially bears on code requirements, part of my original query.

"flagged by the home inspector"? As a code violation? You don't have
any references to such, do you?

You're just rattling stuff off for no substantial reason, aren't ya? Eh?? Eh???

No, it's not a code violation to have an old door opener w/o reversing
lights any more than having ungrounded wiring is in existing dwelling.
It was compliant at the time of installation. It _possibly_ would get
noted on an inspection as an item; it couldn't be a defect, only a
condition.

W/ a new opener that has provision for them but not installed your
logical choice would be to go ahead and rig 'em up before
listing/showing the property.

hallerb is basically just that kind of poster -- he's had every bad
experience known to man or has a friend that has had (or is getting to
have if not just yet) and any and every possible hangnail is reason for
the insurance company to refuse your claim and cancel your insurance and
there's no end to it...

It's why I threw in the thing about FPE upthread...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:54:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I had big hassle selling mine, it was unreal what home inspectors
found.

the first buyer walked, saying your home is in terrible shape.

Well, Bob the first person was not the "right buyer"! One rule I
found in RE is to get the "right buyer".

I bought my present house without ANY inspections - period.

The seller conceded a 25K amount from the list price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had big hassle selling mine, it was unreal what home inspectors
found.

the first buyer walked, saying your home is in terrible shape.

Well, Bob the first person was not the "right buyer"! �One rule I
found in RE is to get the "right buyer".

I bought my present house without �ANY inspections - period.

The seller conceded a 25K amount from the list price.

buyers dont grow on trees at the end of summer in pittsburgh. most
sales occur spring to end of august. people want to get settled before
summer is over.

but hey be a hack maintaing your home, it doesnt hurt me at

I have a business selling stuff, its important to have good looking
stuff to sell.

wether its office equiptement or a house. people are fussy about
houses its usually the buyers largest lifetime purchase

Garage Door Opener Won't Lower Door Fleemo Home Repair 8 October 21st 08 03:44 AM
overhead door garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 2 September 17th 06 07:30 PM
Door opener Don Home Repair 3 November 24th 05 04:49 AM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM
Fluorescent shop lites: HD strikes again Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 19 April 30th 05 11:47 PM