DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Safety lites on gar. door opener (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/292540-safety-lites-gar-door-opener.html)

Willie The Wimp November 25th 09 12:16 AM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites?
2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+
years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

Thx,
Willie

RBM[_3_] November 25th 09 12:42 AM

"Willie The Wimp" wrote in message

I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door.
Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites?
2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+
years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

Thx,
Willie

I don't believe the unit will work if you don't connect the photo eyes

dpb November 25th 09 12:56 AM

Willie The Wimp wrote:
I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites?
2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+
years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

If'n don't have very small children, I'm w/ you. I just mount the two
sensors on a short board facing each other and set the assembly above
the opener.

Used to be you could just short the inputs but the newer ones have some
other logic that defeats the simplest of fixes; I just did a new
Chamberlain here but didn't try to reverse-engineer other than the
expedient outlined.

OBTW--if you do above, then it's relatively simple to put in place some
time in the future if need to sell house or somesuch.

HeyBub[_3_] November 25th 09 01:09 AM

dpb wrote:
Willie The Wimp wrote:
[...]

I'm with you. I want my children to have all the opportunities I did...

Harry K November 25th 09 04:57 AM

On Nov 24, 5:09*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
dpb wrote:
Willie The Wimp wrote:
[...]

I'm with you. I want my children to have all the opportunities I did...- Hide quoted text -

Same here. I even removed the seat belts in the vechicles.

Harry K

CraigT[_3_] November 25th 09 07:29 AM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

The wife and I can always make more.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4634 (20091124) __________

http://www.eset.com

[email protected] November 25th 09 01:30 PM

On Nov 25, 12:50*am, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:56:15 -0600, dpb wrote:
Willie The Wimp wrote:
I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow..

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites?
2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+
years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

If'n don't have very small children, I'm w/ you. *I just mount the two
sensors on a short board facing each other and set the assembly above
the opener.

That is way more complicated than it has to be. I just pointed them at
each other and duct taped them up that way, Coiled the wires up around
the assembly and put them up on the opener bracket so they will be
handy if I ever want to put them on the door tracks.

I would strongly recommend installing them. Even if you don't have
children you never know when someone is going to come over with one.
For example, you ask a neighbor to check on your house while you are
away and they happen to bring along their grandchild, etc. For the
protection it offer compared to the small amount of work installing
them, I think it's foolish to try to circumvent. They also offer the
feature of automatically turning on the light in the door opener when
you cross the beam. Nice when you have the door open and walk in at
night.

dpb November 25th 09 02:08 PM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

I would strongly recommend installing them. Even if you don't have
children you never know when someone is going to come over with one.
For example, you ask a neighbor to check on your house while you are
away and they happen to bring along their grandchild, etc. For the
protection it offer compared to the small amount of work installing
them, I think it's foolish to try to circumvent. They also offer the
feature of automatically turning on the light in the door opener when
you cross the beam. Nice when you have the door open and walk in at
night.

The installation isn't the problem imo; it's the nuisance they create
when I want to close the door and then leave that way and other spurious
actions. And, since I don't have kids or grandkids of an age to worry
about and we're 3 miles from any neighbors that do (and they don't come
by anyway) and I'm an old pha__, I don't use 'em...(and I'm stickin' to
it) :)

dpb November 25th 09 02:10 PM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

I would strongly recommend installing them. ...

Oh, intended to add...I _DID_ install them, I just put them up out of
the way where they won't bother anybody... :)

Harry K November 25th 09 02:25 PM

On Nov 25, 6:08*am, dpb wrote:

[...]

I'm in the same condition but still installed them correctly. I don't
see what the problem is, they have neveer caused me a problem with
leaving or entering and I am in and out of that 'man cave' almost more
than I am in/out of the house.

Poeple who disable them try, but have never convinced anyone that they
are a nuisance.

20 years with one and not once has it operated when I didn't want it
too....well, I have had it fail to close a couple of times due to
weeds blocking them and/or dirt buildup. I figure a minute or two
spent correcting the problem over 20 years is hardly a "nuisance".

Harry K

Harry K November 25th 09 02:25 PM

On Nov 24, 11:29*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
The wife and I can always make more.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4634 (20091124) __________

http://www.eset.com

I see, it is Darwin once removed. Nice!

Harry K

[email protected] November 25th 09 03:05 PM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

everyone should have a touch pad remote outside for easy door
closings, and openings when you arent with your vehicle.

tv news carried a story where a 60 year old had disabled the sensors,
he pushed down, stumbled on way out door, woke up moments later with
door pinning his foot. auto reverse had been set to shut tite he
reported.

anyhow 4 hours later he was freed, ended up spending a week in the
hospital from blood clot and other complications.

afterward he had all safety devices fixed............

admitted it was his own fault. luckily he was heard screaming, his
garage isnt easily seen........

so go ahead, disable all safety stuff, who needs it anyway??:(

dpb November 25th 09 03:40 PM

Harry K wrote:
Poeple who disable them try, but have never convinced anyone that they
are a nuisance.

I'm convinced and for mine that's the entire population that matters... :)

20 years with one and not once has it operated when I didn't want it
too....well, I have had it fail to close a couple of times due to
weeds blocking them and/or dirt buildup. I figure a minute or two
spent correcting the problem over 20 years is hardly a "nuisance".

I'm happy for you... :)

I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita
that's not needed in my life. That alone is sufficient nuisance for me.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

Willie The Wimp November 25th 09 04:50 PM

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:30:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I would strongly recommend installing them. Even if you don't have
children you never know when someone is going to come over with one.
For example, you ask a neighbor to check on your house while you are
away and they happen to bring along their grandchild, etc. For the
protection it offer compared to the small amount of work installing
them, I think it's foolish to try to circumvent. They also offer the
feature of automatically turning on the light in the door opener when
you cross the beam. Nice when you have the door open and walk in at
night.

I, of course, gotta log in with dpb, et al.

2-door detached garage, one bay with 20+ yr-old opener, no lites.
Lites on only 1 bay would look funny.

I am a loner, dawg is not allowed that area. Very few kids around
and they got noooooo business out there.

If auto-reverse works well, I'll set that up and test, but no lites
on door. Somebody darts in there after I push the button, they'll
get a tap on the shoulder or head, big deal (knock some sense into 'em?).

You'll do whatcha need. And I'll do what *I* need.

Willie

George November 25th 09 05:01 PM

Willie The Wimp wrote:
I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites?
2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+
years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

Thx,
Willie

Can't argue with sound logic that if something hasn't happened in 20
years it will never happen.

I actually disconnected, removed and sold the air bags in the car since
I have never been in an accident that required them so I never will...

George November 25th 09 05:02 PM

Willie The Wimp wrote:
[...]

So that means they could never be there?

jeff_wisnia November 25th 09 05:26 PM

Willie The Wimp wrote:
I have a new Chamberlain 1/2 hp chain opener, hope to install tomorrow.

Instructions say I gotta install elec. safety lites inside door. Questions:

1.) What (if any) code requires safety lites?
2.) Practical to install and use opener without 'em?

Replacing failed opener. Did fine w/o safety lites on old openers for 20+
years. Tired of playing ladder-monkey, stapling wires in gar. rafters.

Thx,
Willie

Given the litigious society we're living in, I'd be concerned about the
liability falling on me if that one in a million chance accident
happened and crushed a kid's skull.

I wonder if my homeowner's/umbrella policy insurance would refuse to pay
if it was proven that I deliberately ignored the manufacturer's
instructions regarding those safety lights.

That, plus the guilt I'd have to live with for the rest of my life.

"There is no right way to do the wrong thing" (Thomas Huxley)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

DGDevin November 25th 09 05:36 PM

Harry K wrote:

Same here. I even removed the seat belts in the vechicles.

Harry K

Excellent. As a friend of mine says, every once in a while you have to
throw a little bleach in the gene pool.

[email protected] November 25th 09 07:02 PM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

Do you really want to explain why you chose delibertly to not
use a required safety device if the rare, but possible accident
occures?

Yea, it has not happend to you in the last 20 years so it
won't happen next year......

[email protected] November 25th 09 09:28 PM

On Nov 25, 2:02�pm, wrote:
� � � � Do you really want to explain why you chose delibertly to not
use a required safety device if the rare, but possible accident
occures?

� � � � Yea, it has not happend to you in the last 20 years so it
won't happen next year......

actually statitics prove the longer something hasnt happened the
greater bthe risk it will

dpb November 25th 09 09:41 PM

wrote:
On Nov 25, 2:02�pm, wrote:
� � � � Do you really want to explain why you chose delibertly to not
use a required safety device if the rare, but possible accident
occures?

� � � � Yea, it has not happend to you in the last 20 years so it
won't happen next year......

actually statitics prove the longer something hasnt happened the
greater bthe risk it will

That is _not_ so. Past history is immaterial for future in any process
w/ a fixed probability of occurrence. For example, for a fair coin the
probability of H is still 1/2 even if there hasn't been a head for the
last N tosses (immaterial of N).

[email protected] November 25th 09 09:42 PM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita
that's not needed in my life. �That alone is sufficient nuisance for me.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

--

install a regular doorbell button just inside garage door area.

walk out, reach in push button.

its not rocket science. although a utdoor touch pad is very convenient

dpb November 25th 09 09:50 PM

wrote:
I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita
that's not needed in my life. �That alone is sufficient nuisance for me.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

--

install a regular doorbell button just inside garage door area.

as I say, you suit yourself, I'll suit myself...

Pete C. November 25th 09 10:41 PM

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Willie The Wimp wrote:
[...]

This is a good reason to just repair / maintain your old opener to avoid
the hassle of the new nany-devices.

[email protected] November 25th 09 11:29 PM

On Nov 25, 5:41�pm, "Pete C." wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Willie The Wimp wrote:
[...]

the hassle of the new nany-devices.- Hide quoted text -

the same could be said of keeping your ancient 57 chevy on the road.

did you see the crash test between the 57 bel air and the 20008
mailbu.

the crash test dummy in the bel air died many times over, the 2008
driver would of walked away.

With a doorbell button just a few bucks why mess around defeating the
safety systems???

and put yourself at fiancial risk if someone dies?????

[email protected] November 26th 09 12:31 AM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:28:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 25, 2:02?pm, wrote:

actually statitics prove the longer something hasnt happened the
greater bthe risk it will

No. Past events have no effect on the chance of a future event.

Harry K November 26th 09 05:06 AM

On Nov 25, 7:40*am, dpb wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Poeple who disable them try, but have never convinced anyone that they
are a nuisance.

I'm convinced and for mine that's the entire population that matters... :)

20 years with one and not once has it operated when I didn't want it
too....well, I have had it fail to close a couple of times due to
weeds blocking them and/or dirt buildup. *I figure a minute or two
spent correcting the problem over 20 years is hardly a "nuisance".

I'm happy for you... :)

I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita
that's not needed in my life. *That alone is sufficient nuisance for me..

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

--

???? go out that way? I go out through the door and hit the close
button as I go. I don't have to even think about 'avoiding the beam'.

You _do_ have a close button on the door jamb?

Something does not compute.

Harry K

Harry K November 26th 09 05:07 AM

On Nov 25, 1:50*pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita
that's not needed in my life. That alone is sufficient nuisance for me..

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

--

install a regular doorbell button just inside garage door area.

as I say, you suit yourself, I'll suit myself...

--

Yes, we can tell you are convinced it is a nuisance an no facts will
change your mind.

Harry K

Harry K November 26th 09 05:10 AM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

On Nov 25, 9:22*am, Van Chocstraw
everyone should have a touch pad remote outside for easy door
closings, and openings when you arent with your vehicle.

tv news carried a story where a 60 year old *had disabled the sensors,
he pushed down, stumbled on way out door, woke up moments later with
door pinning his foot. auto reverse had been set to shut tite he
reported.

anyhow 4 hours later he was freed, ended up spending a week in the
hospital from blood clot and other complications.

afterward he had all safety devices fixed............

admitted it was his own fault. luckily he was heard screaming, his
garage isnt easily seen........

so go ahead, disable all safety stuff, who needs it anyway??:(

The little plastic gears in the automatic door could be stripped easily
by most anybody pushing the door in the opposite direction.
Maybe they should put electric eyes on drop down cribs since the parents
are too stupid to operate them.- Hide quoted text -

So because one item doesn't have them, no items should? Seems a flaw
of logic in there somewhere.

Harry K

DD_BobK November 26th 09 06:00 AM

On Nov 25, 7:40*am, dpb wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Poeple who disable them try, but have never convinced anyone that they
are a nuisance.

I'm convinced and for mine that's the entire population that matters... :)

20 years with one and not once has it operated when I didn't want it
too....well, I have had it fail to close a couple of times due to
weeds blocking them and/or dirt buildup. *I figure a minute or two
spent correcting the problem over 20 years is hardly a "nuisance".

I'm happy for you... :)

I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita
that's not needed in my life. *That alone is sufficient nuisance for me..

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.

--

D-

I agree with you that they are a PITA.

I've had GDO installations with & without the safety sensors.

A feature I always add to GDO installations is a "Dad switch", a
switch I mount about 6' off the ground on the garage door opening
framing just inside. This way I can close the door while standing
outside the view of the sensors and not have to jump over them or key
into a touch pad. Touch pads are handy entrance devices but the "Dad
switch" is way faster for closing.

cheers
Bob

George November 26th 09 11:38 AM

Harry K wrote:
[...]

And from seeing it happen a few times the rough and tough I am so smart
and everyone needs to be responsible for their own actions no one can
tell me what to do types immediately want everyone to help (free stuff
from government, sue everyone etc) them when they have an accident or
problem.

George November 26th 09 11:41 AM

Harry K wrote:
On Nov 25, 1:50 pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
I think having to go out that way and try to avoid the beam is a pita
that's not needed in my life. That alone is sufficient nuisance for me.
You're welcome to your opinion, of course.
--
install a regular doorbell button just inside garage door area.

as I say, you suit yourself, I'll suit myself...

--

Yes, we can tell you are convinced it is a nuisance an no facts will
change your mind.

Harry K

You have to wonder why stubborn people even announce what they are going
to do. Clearly he was already convinced that the 30 minute job of
running some low voltage wire and mounting a sensor was an undesirable,
overwhelming task when he made the post.

HeyBub[_3_] November 26th 09 02:42 PM

wrote:

I would strongly recommend installing them. Even if you don't have
children you never know when someone is going to come over with one.
For example, you ask a neighbor to check on your house while you are
away and they happen to bring along their grandchild, etc. For the
protection it offer compared to the small amount of work installing
them, I think it's foolish to try to circumvent. They also offer the
feature of automatically turning on the light in the door opener when
you cross the beam. Nice when you have the door open and walk in at
night.

Remember the axiom of systems: "Fail-safe systems often fail by failing to
fail safe."

In this case, imagine the scenario where you punch the button for door-down
and go inside (or drive away). Meanwhile, the safety sensors cannot see each
other (power failure, dirt, leaf, whatever) and raise the door. Shortly
thereafter, a passing band of thieves go "Bless you lord!," sacrifice a
chicken, and remove everything from your garage, including your pin-up
calendar, and the length of rubber hose you use to siphon lawnmower gas.

You return to the garage to face a yawing abyss, a vast emptiness, and a
garage door opener about to bust its buttons because it saved a life!

You relied on a fail-safe system to keep things safe. Now you weep.

Of course the purist would say "It's your own damn fault for not making sure
the door stayed down!" But the obvious flaw in THAT argument is: "If I were
in the habit of watching the door go down, why would I need an electric-eye
monitor?"

dpb November 26th 09 02:56 PM

Harry K wrote:

Yes, we can tell you are convinced it is a nuisance an no facts will
change your mind.

Yes, it is a fact that when I push the button and walk out and it
reverses that is a nuisance indeed... :)

That's only the most frequent of the other nuisances as well that had w/
the one location that did have them installed...but at that time the
kids were still at home and were living in a residential neighborhood so
I put up w/ it despite the nuisance.

Now that there are no kids and am back on the farm and it's isolated
enough so there's no chance somebody else's kids will wander around
unbeknownst, there's really no point in retaining this nuisance factor
in my life at the moment.

Other situations are, certainly, different and I'd consider them on
their individual merits/concerns.

dpb November 26th 09 03:08 PM

George wrote:
You have to wonder why stubborn people even announce what they are going
to do. Clearly he was already convinced that the 30 minute job of
running some low voltage wire and mounting a sensor was an undesirable,
overwhelming task when he made the post.

I won't speak for OP; I only agreed w/ him that there are times/places
where the practical utility of the beams is minimal at best and risks of
not using them are (imo acceptably) low.

It really wouldn't make much difference from a risk-aversion standpoint
here if I were to have installed them on the one I mentioned I had just
done as it's a double garage and the other half has an opener that isn't
equipped with them at all. That garage is the one that gets by far the
most use as it is the primary automobile while the other had been being
used as storage for the time since we returned to the farm and I finally
managed to clean up enough to get the other car in there and out of the
barn where it's been parked and (mostly) unused and in the way...and,
no, I'm not about to either replace a working one in the other garage
until/before it fails nor go to the effort to move them. :)

It's all about circumstances...

Harry K November 26th 09 03:22 PM

On Nov 26, 6:42*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Ummm...for kids? Your argument stretches logic beyond all bounds.

Harry K

Harry K November 26th 09 03:24 PM

On Nov 26, 3:38*am, George wrote:
Harry K wrote:
[...]

problem.- Hide quoted text -

That _seems_ to be English but...

Harry K

[email protected] November 26th 09 03:28 PM

On Nov 26, 10:08�am, dpb wrote:
George wrote:

[...]

you know theres probably a insurance exclusion for intentially
defeating safety systems..........

dpb November 26th 09 03:36 PM

Safety lites on gar. door opener

you know theres probably a insurance exclusion for intentially
defeating safety systems..........

No claim, no exclusion... :)

[email protected] November 26th 09 03:44 PM

On Nov 26, 10:36�am, dpb wrote:

you know theres probably a insurance exclusion for intentially
defeating safety systems..........

No claim, no exclusion... �:)

--

well if a lost kid happens to get trapped by your door that exclusion
may see you lose your home your retirement and everything else you

or perhaps just a criminal proscuetion ???

or just living with having killed a kid and the scorn of friends
neighbors etc....

but hey 30 minutes and a doorbell button is very expensive and a big
hassle.

not worth the effort