Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windmill go boom

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2009 11:26 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha know), but
I'm assuming that's a windmill for electric generation, right? The newer
ones are bigger and better, which would no doubt make a much bigger
"boom" should they fall over. Much better for the birds, though, as they
operate at lower speeds.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

I also cannot view stuff like that either, but I remember seeing
something like this on "Destroyed In Seconds" on Dicovery, or whatever
they called the almost identical show on History Channel. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:32:55 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 11/14/2009 11:26 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

One comment says a goose hit it, but it looks like all three blades
broke at once. I put my cursor just before it happened and watched
several times. There is no way to watch in slo-mo afaik??

And how did a goose breaking a blade bread the whole mast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha know), but

It's a pain but if a video is important, with youtube and most of
them, you can still watch. Start it playing and right away press
pause**. Then depending on how long it is, go to another window and
leave it alone for 10, 20 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and the red bar
or some other indicator will show how much as been dl'd. When all or
enough has, click play and it will play what has been dl'd. It
stores the file on the harddrive as a temp file. The temp file will
be no larger because you have dial-up and it takes a long time than it
would be with highspeed, so if you have temp space on your harddrive,
that's not a problem. Good playback has something to do with CPU
speed. Mine is 800 but I did fine with 200. And you probably have to
have a video card with sufficient RAM, but I think everyone does, and
NIB, new but prior models of cards are available cheaply. Even new
mdoels unless they have special features aren't more than 30 dollars
iirc. **You don't even have to press pause, but then you'll hear
snatches of sound when it has enough new stuff to play a bit. And
you'll have to move the progress ball back to the beginning to see it
in one piece.

Even with lo-speed dsl, even though the download indicator was always
ahead of amount-played ball, this one didn't show video for me until 5
or 10 seconds in, but on Replay that they offer at the end, it showed
video from the start, and the windmill blades spun more realistically,
instead of like watching under a strobe light.

I think that's because downloading and storing on the harddrive takes
CPU cycles, that compete with playing. When replaying, the computer
might have nothing else to do but play the video.

I'm assuming that's a windmill for electric generation, right? The newer
ones are bigger and better, which would no doubt make a much bigger
"boom" should they fall over. Much better for the birds, though, as they
operate at lower speeds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2009 12:04 PM mm spake thus:

wrote:

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha know), but

It's a pain but if a video is important, with youtube and most of
them, you can still watch. Start it playing and right away press
pause**. Then depending on how long it is, go to another window and
leave it alone for 10, 20 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and the red bar
or some other indicator will show how much as been dl'd.

Yeah, yeah, know all about those tricks. Just not worth it.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
ones are bigger and better, which would no doubt make a much bigger
"boom" should they fall over. Much better for the birds, though, as they
operate at lower speeds.

Not really; while they look like they're just spinning pretty lazily,
given the rotor length the tip speed is roughly 200 mph.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:26:07 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)

How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond
me.

For those with dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mm wrote:
And how did a goose breaking a blade bread the whole mast?

Like another, w/ dialup I don't even try video, but if it were the
initiating event one would presume it would be the resulting imbalanced
load caused the other failures.

Until the operating utility/vendor has/have done detailed analysis it's
probably premature to project what was the root cause.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha know), but

It's a pain but if a video is important, with youtube and most of
them, you can still watch. *Start it playing and right away press
pause**. *Then depending on how long it is, go to another window and
leave it alone for 10, 20 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and the red bar
or some other indicator will show how much as been dl'd.

Yeah, yeah, know all about those tricks. Just not worth it.

....not worth it to view something I posted....?!

You wound me, sir!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)

How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond
me.

For those with dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

I was wondering the same thing. It is evident that the support was struck by
something, either shot into it or flung by the blade. I have to wonder if
this was to be replaced and they did a destructive test on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:38:08 -0600, dpb wrote:

mm wrote:
And how did a goose breaking a blade bread the whole mast?

Like another, w/ dialup I don't even try video, but if it were the
initiating event one would presume it would be the resulting imbalanced
load caused the other failures.

Well it was interesting, since all the blades seemed to break and fly
off at once, within a second or two. I would have expected some
flexing rather than breaking in the second or two. The mast, you know
about two or three feet by one foot, with rounded sides, broke off a
little over half way up.

Until the operating utility/vendor has/have done detailed analysis it's
probably premature to project what was the root cause.

I wasn't there either, so I can only guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)

How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond
me.

I thought about that too.

How does Funniest Home Videos have all those pictures of people doing
nothing special and then falling down?

For those with dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

So iirc about 10 minutes to dl with dial-up. But watching it won't
answer these questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:54:35 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)

How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond
me.

For those with dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

I was wondering the same thing. It is evident that the support was struck by
something, either shot into it or flung by the blade.

Good point, but anything flung by the blade should hit the mast at a
very shallow angle.

I have to wonder if
this was to be replaced and they did a destructive test on it.

Maybe so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:54:35 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)

How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond
me.

For those with dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

I was wondering the same thing. It is evident that the support was struck by
something, either shot into it or flung by the blade. I have to wonder if
this was to be replaced and they did a destructive test on it.

I was thinking "test", but the sound and power of the wind makes me
think otherwise. It looked like a powerful storm.

The title of the video indicates "turbine going wild".

This video is a "smoker"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N4HQv-UyUo&NR=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2009 12:45 PM RicodJour spake thus:

wrote:

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha know), but

It's a pain but if a video is important, with youtube and most of
them, you can still watch. Start it playing and right away press
pause**. Then depending on how long it is, go to another window and
leave it alone for 10, 20 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and the red bar
or some other indicator will show how much as been dl'd.

Yeah, yeah, know all about those tricks. Just not worth it.

...not worth it to view something I posted....?!

You wound me, sir!

I am deeply sorry, and meant to throw no disparaging words your way. The
first chance I get on a high-speed connection (or a big block of spare
time with the computah dialed up), I'll look at that video.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2009 12:21 PM dpb spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

ones are bigger and better, which would no doubt make a much bigger
"boom" should they fall over. Much better for the birds, though, as they
operate at lower speeds.

Not really; while they look like they're just spinning pretty lazily,
given the rotor length the tip speed is roughly 200 mph.

Well, supposedly they kill fewer birds.

Apparently birds do learn to avoid windmill blades to some extent. Was a
report on the local teevee news a night or two ago about all the bird
kills at the large windmill "farm" out here in eastern Alameda County
(SF Bay area), where lots of older windmills have resulted in waaaay too
many bird kills.

Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis.
Anyone ever seen those?

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually the birds die from fright. One of those "ooh ****" moments.

Apparently birds do learn to avoid windmill blades to some extent. Was a
report on the local teevee news a night or two ago about all the bird
kills at the large windmill "farm" out here in eastern Alameda County
(SF Bay area), where lots of older windmills have resulted in waaaay too
many bird kills.

Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis.
Anyone ever seen those?

In Alameda County you still have dial up?

What's the world coming too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis.
Anyone ever seen those?

Not in person, but I think they're only used for fairly small
installations near ground level, where space or height or aesthetic
considerations rule out one of the larger and (I'm guessing) more
efficient propeller-style units.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)

How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond
me.

For those with dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

I was wondering the same thing. It is evident that the support was struck by
something, either shot into it or flung by the blade. I have to wonder if
this was to be replaced and they did a destructive test on it.

I was thinking "test", but the sound and power of the wind makes me
think otherwise. It looked like a powerful storm.

But that might have been the test. Normally the blades feather after a
certain wind velocity to protect the machine. Maybe the test was to see
the result if they didn't feather which would be pretty much "turbine
going wild"

The title of the video indicates "turbine going wild".

This video is a "smoker"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N4HQv-UyUo&NR=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:04:44 -0500, mm
wrote:

And how did a goose breaking a blade bread the whole mast?

They need to shoot more geese?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 12:21*pm, dpb wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

ones are bigger and better, which would no doubt make a much bigger
"boom" should they fall over. Much better for the birds, though, as they
operate at lower speeds.

Not really; while they look like they're just spinning pretty lazily,
given the rotor length the tip speed is roughly 200 mph.

--

Duane-

I was thinking it failed due to overspeed?

When the unit failed & the photographer "pulled back" the weather
looked a bit too windy for windmill operation.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha know), but

It's a pain but if a video is important, with youtube and most of
them, you can still watch. *Start it playing and right away press
pause**. *Then depending on how long it is, go to another window and
leave it alone for 10, 20 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and the red bar
or some other indicator will show how much as been dl'd.

Yeah, yeah, know all about those tricks. Just not worth it.

...not worth it to view something I posted....?!

You wound me, sir!

Rico-

I thought it was worth watching.

I have cable.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis.
Anyone ever seen those?

Only in pictures. I think they're the work of the devil.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis.
Anyone ever seen those?

Only in pictures. I think they're the work of the devil.

I have seen small ventilators like that on roofs. Not to generate
electricity, but the same priciples apply.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's my take:

The only info from whoever uploaded the video is that the "brakes"
failed and there was a storm.

I assume that windmills that big must have rotating blades like planes
(and probably also brakes) so they can be stopped in high winds. My
guess is that the rotating mechanism failed, and the brakes probably
aren't strong enough to stop it with the blades in the normal
position.

Seeing the video on a high-speed connection, it seems to be spinning
tremendously fast (several revolutions per second which is
astronomical for something that size).

I think one of the blades finally reached it's tensile limit and flew
off or otherwise failed.

The imbalance immediately twisted the generator section forward.

That torqued the other two blades and at least one of them hit the
tower and took it out.

I assure that seeing this thing spinning 20 times faster than normal
made it pretty obvious that something was wrong and gave someone time
to get their camera before it failed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Nov 2009 00:17:31 GMT, Han wrote:

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis.
Anyone ever seen those?

Only in pictures. I think they're the work of the devil.

I have seen small ventilators like that on roofs. Not to generate
electricity, but the same priciples apply.

Well, that's okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 8:00*pm, Larry Fishel wrote:
[...]

This was the same video that was shown (over and over again*) on
Destroyed In Seconds.

They also mentioned that the brake had failed which left the device to
spin at a rate it was not designed to spin at.

*That's the one thing I don't like about Destroyed In Seconds. Based
on the fact that the destruction of most things on the show really
does only take seconds, they show each video over and over and over
again to fill the time. There's only so many times you can watch the
same boat explode or the same motorcycle hit the wall before it begins
to get boring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I agree- not enough feedstock for a series. It should be a
once-in-a-while special. Same problem killed to funny-at-first blooper
shows- they ran out of fresh material.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I watched a show about a guy who designed some vertical windmills to
take advantage of the "natural" wind currents that occur between high
rise buildings in cities. He captures the winds as it reaches the roof
and generates power for the building to use. Neat idea.

The other neat "wind related" design I caught on a show was a super
high-rise building in Japan or Dubai or ? It had sort of a twist to
it so that there were no full length flat surfaces directly facing
wind coming from any direction. The design kind of forced the wind up
and around the building, helping to keep it steady even in the
strongest of winds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

ones are bigger and better, which would no doubt make a much bigger
"boom" should they fall over. Much better for the birds, though, as they
operate at lower speeds.

Not really; while they look like they're just spinning pretty lazily,
given the rotor length the tip speed is roughly 200 mph.

Well, supposedly they kill fewer birds.

Apparently birds do learn to avoid windmill blades to some extent. Was a
report on the local teevee news a night or two ago about all the bird
kills at the large windmill "farm" out here in eastern Alameda County
(SF Bay area), where lots of older windmills have resulted in waaaay too
many bird kills.

Accelerated evolution...

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in news:fba78398-91da-4a70-bbd3-
:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

That sumbitch got awl toe up didn't it?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

wrote:

Haven't seen that (got dialup, slow speed connection, dontcha
know), but

It's a pain but if a video is important, with youtube and most of
them, you can still watch. Start it playing and right away press
pause**. Then depending on how long it is, go to another window
and leave it alone for 10, 20 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and the
red bar or some other indicator will show how much as been dl'd.

Yeah, yeah, know all about those tricks. Just not worth it.

...not worth it to view something I posted....?!

You wound me, sir!

I am deeply sorry, and meant to throw no disparaging words your way.
The first chance I get on a high-speed connection (or a big block of
spare time with the computah dialed up), I'll look at that video.

You have a laptop? If so, can't find an open connection?

Desktop such as I? Borrow a wireless USB adapter. If you find an open
connection then buy an adapter of your own.

Then again, maybe you're in a thinly populated area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in news:fba78398-91da-4a70-bbd3-
:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Probably a HF coupon item.
Posted to alt.home.repair

my best friend built a 14 foot windmill in 1960.

one day the brakes failed and he had a bad day. told him about this
video tonight, unfortunately he does not have internet access
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 14, 1:26*pm, RicodJour wrote:
Posted in another newsgroup. *You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Most interesting, as we have had 230-odd Vestas turbines in operation
here in McLean County, Illinois for about three years. Several hundred
more turbines are scheduled for building in the next few years here
and in nearby counties. I noted propeller blade replacement being done
on one recently. Occasionally, a unit will be stopped for some
maintenance while all the surrounding ones keep ponderously rotating,
making volts and amps for Ransley up there in Chicago. I haven't seen
any bird kill problems, but there have been reports of a few bat
kills. At night, seeing acres and acres of winking red warning lights
impresses visitors. Kind of neat. The farmers like having the lease
income from the operation, and the construction crews were and are
absolute models of efficiency and care for the terrain. Not much in
the way of downsides.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 22:17:37 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
*That's the one thing I don't like about Destroyed In Seconds. Based
on the fact that the destruction of most things on the show really
does only take seconds, they show each video over and over and over
again to fill the time. There's only so many times you can watch the
same boat explode or the same motorcycle hit the wall before it begins
to get boring.

I agree- not enough feedstock for a series. It should be a
once-in-a-while special. Same problem killed to funny-at-first blooper
shows- they ran out of fresh material.

Yeah, a lot of the bloopers are barely bloopers at all. They seem to
think any mistake someone makes is worth showing. I want it to come
out funny.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:34:18 -0500, mm
wrote:

I agree- not enough feedstock for a series. It should be a
once-in-a-while special. Same problem killed to funny-at-first blooper
shows- they ran out of fresh material.

Yeah, a lot of the bloopers are barely bloopers at all. They seem to
think any mistake someone makes is worth showing. I want it to come
out funny.

Like Hoobert Heever. That was funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

wrote:
[...]

Leeching signal off a neighbor ain't polite. Like tapping in to their
cable feed. Not at all like using a coffee shop hotspot at $1.50 a cup.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

They were supposed to build a fairly large windfarm here in one of the
few places where it would make sense. There is a high end development
located around 5 miles from there. A few influential people were very
vocal about how it would destroy their "view" so they had the zoning
regulations changed to prevent windmills without explicitly preventing
them. The interesting part too is the windfarm was being built with
private money not with money the government picked out of our pockets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

NIMBY strilkes again. Stuff like that is one of the reasons they are now
talking about building them offshore, in areas with both wind, and out
of view of tourist beachs and rich folk cliffs. Oh yeah, that'll make
them cheaper and more resistant to weather.

--
aem sends...

Windmill Failure Vortex3 UK diy 8 February 26th 08 08:34 AM
WINDMILL J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 04:33 AM
Windmill Part II?? EricP UK diy 41 January 3rd 07 11:28 AM
Windmill restoration Ted UK diy 6 December 12th 06 08:34 AM
Windmill types? Roger_Nickel Metalworking 23 March 15th 06 03:00 AM