Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger_Nickel

Default Windmill types?

Gunner wrote:

Anyone have any specific preferences? Someone here sent me some files
from Oz on using a washing machine motor..a radial style Ive never
seen here in the US ever never. And no..I cant afford $150 worth of
exotic magnets to modify a GM alternator.
However..I can chain drive a 2 wire alternator..shrug.

You might be thinking of the Fisher and Paykel smartdrive motor.
This is a four phase permanent magnet step motor used in washing
machines and is common in this part of the world.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/eco...ours_wind.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

This involves metalworking...G

Ive gotten a wild hair to build a wind generator. I believe I either
have most of the stuff...or can scrounge it up easily enough.

Im NOT doing this to go off the grid...with my power needs..Id have to
cover the back 40 with windmills. This is simply something Fun to do.

Im pretty sure all those 110vt DC tread mill motors Ive got..aint
going to work very well unfortunatley...getting one up to 3600 rpm in
the variable winds I have here..often gusty dust devil winds in the
summer time..slight breeze to 70mph winter storms.

Ive been doing some web searching..and the verticle types that use
lift look interesting..and I can mount one easily enough on the shop.
Though a prop job looks doable also.

http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/darrieus_type.htm
http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/newpage5.htm
http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/vawt.htm

Anyone have any specific preferences? Someone here sent me some files
from Oz on using a washing machine motor..a radial style Ive never
seen here in the US ever never. And no..I cant afford $150 worth of
exotic magnets to modify a GM alternator.
However..I can chain drive a 2 wire alternator..shrug.

Ive got to be able to build this thing using off the shelf,
scroungable Stuff, build it in a reasonable amount of time (no life
long projects) and charge some batteries. The more the better of
course.

Ive got a very high end 5500 watt inverter/charger that came out of a
brand new land yacht that burned..but didnt touch the inverter (and it
works) to use to give me true sine wave 110vts if I want to add it to
the system after its done.

Chuckle..and frankly..Im tired of making stuff in the shop that is
used to simply fix other machines..I want to make Something! G

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alan Wood

Gunner,
You might find www.otherpower.com usefull. Several bladed windmill projects
by metalworking scroungers.
Alan Wood

Drop the second a to reply "
"Gunner" wrote in message
This involves metalworking...G

Ive gotten a wild hair to build a wind generator. I believe I either
have most of the stuff...or can scrounge it up easily enough.

Im NOT doing this to go off the grid...with my power needs..Id have to
cover the back 40 with windmills. This is simply something Fun to do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:22:05 +1300, Roger_Nickel
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Anyone have any specific preferences? Someone here sent me some files
from Oz on using a washing machine motor..a radial style Ive never
seen here in the US ever never. And no..I cant afford $150 worth of
exotic magnets to modify a GM alternator.
However..I can chain drive a 2 wire alternator..shrug.

You might be thinking of the Fisher and Paykel smartdrive motor.
This is a four phase permanent magnet step motor used in washing
machines and is common in this part of the world.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/eco...ours_wind.html

Ayup. Ive never seen such a beasty here in the States.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Im pretty sure all those 110vt DC tread mill motors Ive got..aint
going to work very well unfortunatley...getting one up to 3600 rpm in
the variable winds I have here..often gusty dust devil winds in the
summer time..slight breeze to 70mph winter storms.

Advantage (aside from you already have them) - you don't need to get
them up to 3600 rpm - they are DC, you want DC, and since you don't need
110V DC (I'm guessing based on the inverter you are looking at 12, or
perhaps 24V max for the battery). The variable speed is a problem for
ANY type of wind generator (Hmm, go whack one of those little cars with
a CVT?). If you want efficient you futz with a converter that will make
more amps at the voltage you happen to be getting from the generator, if
not you ignore that.

Otherpower has tips for making generators from Volvo brake disks (and
magnets).

One downside the the VAWT's you mention is that the classic lift version
is not self-starting. Some variations that have been worked on over time
are, by various means. Experientially, the reason that most of the ones
you see now are horizontal axis is that those generally live longer, or
at least have as implemented up to now.

I can't find the site right now, but there are some nice pictures of
elegant, counterbalanced, hydraulic tilting, self-supporting towers
welded up from drill casing or similar tube out there somewhere - same
guy also was doing some ambitious machining for the prop units (HAWT).
Big advantage there is not having to climb the tower to futz with the
turbine - just bring it down to you.

Here is one commercial (which seems to be better thought out than some
others I've seen) VAWT of the self-starting Savonius flavor (drag, not
lift) - there are plenty of MUCH lower-tech versions of that flavor
easily found by searching.

http://www.windside.com/

This place is "redesigning" so they don't have much (better than the
last time I tried to look them up, when they apparently hadn't paid the
net bill and were gone), and has a combined rotor - lift and drag
(Darrius/Savonius), seen in the rightmost picture.

http://www.aerotecture.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:25:42 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

[...]

The 3600 RPM rating is at 110 volts. If those are permanent magnet
motors, they will probably produce 12 volts at about 400 RPM. DCPM
motor exhibit speed that is about linearly proportional to voltage --
and produce voltage proportional to speed when driven as generators.
Current rating is determined by the wire in the windings, regardless
of operating speed. A 110 volt 1 HP motor will only be good for
about 75 watts at 12 volts.

You might come across some good-sized DCPM servomotors in your machine
tool travels. I would think that they might work very nicely as DC
generators.

Keep your eye peeled for burned-out VFD's. They will contain ferrite
transformers from which you can scrounge the cores to make switchmode
power converters to change DC voltage. The magnetics are always the
hard part to come up with. The elex aren't hard at all working at
below 24 volts. I could help with that part if you like. I have
lots of 55-amp 60-volt power MOSFETs in my goodiebox, could spare a
couple.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:25:42 GMT, Gunner wrote:
This involves metalworking...G

Ive gotten a wild hair to build a wind generator. I believe I either
have most of the stuff...or can scrounge it up easily enough.

google "Hugh Piggott" of Scotland.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin

The treadmill motors might be your best bet, given that you don't want
to spend much time. The RPM needed to get 12-15 volts will probably be
reasonable. Cut your blades from 4" PVC pipe, or just buy a set of
carbon-fiber ones from hydrogenappliances.com. This will get you
generating in a minimum amount of time, then you can decide if you want
to get into generating in a bigger way.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

These are 2.5hp

You might come across some good-sized DCPM servomotors in your machine
tool travels. I would think that they might work very nicely as DC
generators.

I indeed have some pretty good sized servo motors. There is one out
there that has a 3/4" shaft on it. Ill have to pull it out and see
what it is, though its likely an AC servo..but Ill check. Hitachi I
think. got a bunch of smaller ones..smaller being relative..must
weight about 50 lbs. All are new..though now a bit rusty from weather
exposure. I believe they have outputs for tach etc..tru servos. I
couldnt sell the damned things..was considering tossing em.

Keep your eye peeled for burned-out VFD's. They will contain ferrite
transformers from which you can scrounge the cores to make switchmode
power converters to change DC voltage. The magnetics are always the
hard part to come up with. The elex aren't hard at all working at
below 24 volts. I could help with that part if you like. I have
lots of 55-amp 60-volt power MOSFETs in my goodiebox, could spare a
couple.

Im so weak on basic electronics to be foot shuffling blushingly
embaressed, compared to even the meanest whiz bang guy here. Not
something Ive ever needed in my various lines of work..basic
electrical yes..but not electronics.

Im sure Ill indeed need some assistance on "switchmode power
converters" etc etc (what ever they are) G

I can scrounge Stuff pretty good..and even find a use for a lot of
Stuff..mostly electro or mechanical..but the fancy stuff is simply a
unit..not a collection of parts, to me.

How do I tell if a servo is a DC permanant magnet type?
Most of these have screw on Cannon or amphenal type connectors.
Most are Reliance electric..so I could do a web search........

hummmmmmmmmmmm

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 13 Mar 2006 18:51:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:25:42 GMT, Gunner wrote:
This involves metalworking...G

Ive gotten a wild hair to build a wind generator. I believe I either
have most of the stuff...or can scrounge it up easily enough.

google "Hugh Piggott" of Scotland.

So far, Ive read most of his online stuff.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:02:58 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 13 Mar 2006 18:51:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

google "Hugh Piggott" of Scotland.

So far, Ive read most of his online stuff.

I've got his "brake-drum windmill" book, it's a gen or three behind his
current now but there's nothing wrong with or unbuildable about his
plans. And blade carving hasn't changed unless something has changed in
the laws of physics...all that is different, I expect, is the generator
itself.

Before you ask - the blades are made and I never got to the rotor,
lacking a 3/4 ton pickup as a source of those parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Malcolm Moore

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Anyone have any specific preferences? Someone here sent me some files
from Oz on using a washing machine motor..a radial style Ive never
seen here in the US ever never. And no..I cant afford $150 worth of
exotic magnets to modify a GM alternator.
However..I can chain drive a 2 wire alternator..shrug.

You might be thinking of the Fisher and Paykel smartdrive motor.
This is a four phase permanent magnet step motor used in washing
machines and is common in this part of the world.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/eco...ours_wind.html

Ayup. Ive never seen such a beasty here in the States.

Gunner

They are sold there. See

http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/search-results.cfm?search=quick&category=37257D91-65B7-DB96-1C714A7ADB7B0336&none=&kitchentype=&laundrytype=EC B803E0-65B7-DB96-1301E0D259A46C53&search_mod_number=

and click on "store locator". I'm not suggesting you buy one new but
you may be able to obtain a 2nd hand motor from the back door of the
service department ;-)

Actually, not only are they sold in the US but they are also
manufactured there in Clyde, Ohio. Shipping large but light weight
appliances across the Pacific is expensive so F&P have moved some
production there.

--
Regards
Malcolm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

[...]

A 500 watt "printmotor" servo from an old welding robot puts out about
15 volts at 600 RPM. It is rated at 84 volts and 2500 rpm. SO, as a
motor it puts out 29.75 RPM per volt, and as a generator, about 2.5
volts per 100 RPM.

The 42 volt 3000 RPM (200 watt) unit puts out almost exactly half.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Here's a new VAWT being produced in Holland that looks interesting. It
seems to be self starting and is being pushed for mounting on building roofs
in an urban setting: http://www.turby.nl/

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:02:32 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Im sure Ill indeed need some assistance on "switchmode power
converters" etc etc (what ever they are) G

They're just efficient electronics that can change DC power from one
voltage to another and regulate voltage and/or current. Nearly all
power supplies in electronic stuff (like 'puters) are switchers these
days. Instead of having big 60Hz power xfmrs they rectify line
voltage to DC, then chop (switch) it with transistors (MOSFET,
bipolor or IGBT) at a high frequency so the transformers and
inductors can be quite small. "Inverter" welders, and plasma
cutters and VFD's are switchers too. In addition to being small,
lightweight, and cheap if made in volume, they can be very efficient.
And, by the way, good Luxeon LED flashlights use little switchers
too. (Still have the Luxeonized MX991\U on my ta-do list!)

Switchers can be kinda complex and hairy in general, but they can
also be quite simple for low DC voltages and modest currents like a
few amps.

I could get interested in this too because the wind never stops
blowing at the lake. There are a lot of wind farms in SW MN.

I can scrounge Stuff pretty good..and even find a use for a lot of
Stuff..mostly electro or mechanical..but the fancy stuff is simply a
unit..not a collection of parts, to me.

How do I tell if a servo is a DC permanant magnet type?
Most of these have screw on Cannon or amphenal type connectors.
Most are Reliance electric..so I could do a web search........

Some but not all DCPM motors "cog" a little when you turn the shaft.

See if they have brushes. If they do, they're very likely DCPM
motors.

Yeah, see if you can find some schematics or specsheets. That could
help a lot. If they are brushless DCPM motors they might need a bit
of surgery to be used as generators. No rewinding or anything, just
bypass the internal elex to connect direct to the windings.

I am no expert on servomotors in particular, but I know a little about
motors in general.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

I indeed have some pretty good sized servo motors. There is one out
there that has a 3/4" shaft on it. Ill have to pull it out and see
what it is, though its likely an AC servo..but Ill check. Hitachi I
think. got a bunch of smaller ones..smaller being relative..must
weight about 50 lbs. All are new..though now a bit rusty from weather
exposure. I believe they have outputs for tach etc..tru servos. I
couldnt sell the damned things..was considering tossing em.

Too bad you are so far from me - I'd love to scavenge your pile!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:31:10 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Some but not all DCPM motors "cog" a little when you turn the shaft.

See if they have brushes. If they do, they're very likely DCPM
motors.

The beuaty of the printed circuit armature on a PrintMotor servo is
there is NO COGGING because there is no iron in the rotor. There is
also no sparking at the brushes, because the commutator is skewed so
it is "slotless" and there is no inductance, because there is no iron.

The prushes are a bit smaller than they would have to be on an iron
core PMDC motor.

Yeah, see if you can find some schematics or specsheets. That could
help a lot. If they are brushless DCPM motors they might need a bit
of surgery to be used as generators. No rewinding or anything, just
bypass the internal elex to connect direct to the windings.

I am no expert on servomotors in particular, but I know a little about
motors in general.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

I indeed have some pretty good sized servo motors. There is one out
there that has a 3/4" shaft on it. Ill have to pull it out and see
what it is, though its likely an AC servo..but Ill check. Hitachi I
think. got a bunch of smaller ones..smaller being relative..must
weight about 50 lbs. All are new..though now a bit rusty from weather
exposure. I believe they have outputs for tach etc..tru servos. I
couldnt sell the damned things..was considering tossing em.

Too bad you are so far from me - I'd love to scavenge your pile!!

Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im at the point now..if anyone wants to scrounge my stuff...donations
are accepted, but not manditory.

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy van parked out there..some where...I can see
it..but I cant get to it. Id love to have my yard back

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

wrote:

I indeed have some pretty good sized servo motors. There is one out
there that has a 3/4" shaft on it. Ill have to pull it out and see
what it is, though its likely an AC servo..but Ill check. Hitachi I
think. got a bunch of smaller ones..smaller being relative..must
weight about 50 lbs. All are new..though now a bit rusty from weather
exposure. I believe they have outputs for tach etc..tru servos. I
couldnt sell the damned things..was considering tossing em.

Too bad you are so far from me - I'd love to scavenge your pile!!

Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im at the point now..if anyone wants to scrounge my stuff...donations
are accepted, but not manditory.

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy van parked out there..some where...I can see
it..but I cant get to it. Id love to have my yard back

And don't forget, each removal gets a free pet.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

One or more.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 03:08:34 GMT, Gunner wrote:

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy van parked out there..some where...I can see
it..but I cant get to it. Id love to have my yard back

There's your hubs and rotors for Piggott's design windmill, Gunner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Frack..the Reliance Electric servos Ive been able to ID..so far are
all 460volt AC servos.

****

However..I still have more to go through.

Gunner, off to So Cal for the next 4 days

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

and there is no inductance, because there is no iron.

WAit just a minute now.!
You are telling me that all the air core coils I've
wound for transmitters and receivers don't have
inductance. Come on, be reasonable. :-)
...lew...